• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    This was listed as Good to Very good, but barely could be called Fair by this definition:

FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Can someone tell me if most 1895 parts will work in this thing?

And does anyone know of another Mauser follower spring that will work in this?

Im going to need
    Sear
    Cocking Piece
    Follower Spring (Numrich seems to be out)
    Possibly Front barrel band

The good news......the bore looks nice!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Can someone tell me if most 1895 parts will work in this thing?

And does anyone know of another Mauser follower spring that will work in this?

Im going to need
    Sear
    Cocking Piece
    Follower Spring (Numrich seems to be out)
    Possibly Front barrel band

The good news......the bore looks nice!

Why wouldn't you call them, tell them that there's no way the rifle they sent you matches the condition on the website and see if they'll send you a better one? Maybe it's just me, but if someone says "I'll send you X for $Y" and they send me something less than X, I ask for my money back or ask them to send me X.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wow that looks great. Much better than my first Samco mauser. I had to email them today to see what was up with my order, and they replied about 5 mins later with a tracking number. My last one was like my beat up T53. I hope this one is nice like yours. Mine is going to mainly be a range toy and something for my wife/kids to shoot the 7.62 training ammo out of.

Update;

So I get an email stating it had shipped with a tracking number. I check the tracking number. Delivered 11/5/14 to a residence in California. Hmm. I am HOPING they sent me the wrong tracking number.:sad20:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sirex, do you have a My UPS account? Mine detected the incoming shipment. OK, I cleaned mine up last night wheeew, the cleaning rod was a beeeeyach. My rod is threaded at the end with a notch in the middle. It was also a realllly tight fit. I had to pull it about half way with small hex wrench through the slot at the top. Then as I got half way, it would not budge, I actually had to pinch the top sling clamp thingie to get it out. My mag follower flopps around too. I made up 5 dummy rounds and the extractor is tight on the rims on mine. The action is not that smooth but we are not talking about a German K98, Swiss K31 or Brit Enfield so I'm not surprised. Minor rust on the trigger/magazine box assembly but nothing on the barrel or action worth noting. Trigger is as expected pretty heavy. thx for the link to the Mojo sights, I"ve seen those before for the mosins but if I do anything to this Spanish Mauser, I'd just take a small diamond file and notch out the rear sight a bit. I think that would be all that was needed. Don't understand why they would do it this way to begin with. I think it makes it more difficult to quickly get a sight picture unless the goal was once they moved on to the next weapon, it made the next weapon seem like a breeze. the top handguard looks like from an older rifle and they did some fitting on it but not enough, the rear sight would not go down all the way because the rear sight was hitting the hand guard. When I pulled it off I cut a tag of wood down and put some oil on it and its now functional.

Attachments

• image-3152460192.jpg
      image-3152460192.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 158

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just went to ups.com and entered the tracking number they gave me.

If you get a My UPS account and add in all the possible name combinations, then even if the shipper does not send you the email confirmation, 80% of the time MyUPS will catch it and then it will show up on your deliveries. Even though samco told me about the shipment, it showed up on my MyUPS account first once they put into the UPS system my name and address. I also use that to redirect to will call for most items.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    If you get a My UPS account and add in all the possible name combinations, then even if the shipper does not send you the email confirmation, 80% of the time MyUPS will catch it and then it will show up on your deliveries. Even though samco told me about the shipment, it showed up on my MyUPS account first once they put into the UPS system my name and address. I also use that to redirect to will call for most items.

So, here's why I canceled my My UPs account. I set it up so that no signature was required (on thing for which that is permitted) and directed that packages be left at the back door. I ordered a pair of long underwear for my son on a Thursday and paid for overnight because we were going fishing on Saturday. I watched the UPs man deliver packages to my neighbor but none to me. I then got an email that my package had been delivered and left at the back door. I go to the back door and there's no package. I call UPS. She looks at my account and says that since I selected the signature release, it's not their responsibility and if have to call Amazon. I loose my sh@t. They send a message to my local hub, who contacts the driver. He swears on his dog that he delivered it to the right address, claims he and I are best buds so he wouldn't miss my house. I call Amazon. They credit my account. While I'm fishing, neighbor delivers my package. A week earlier, my UPs guy tries to deliver a Steyr M95 to the wrong house. This made me nervous.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Why wouldn't you call them, tell them that there's no way the rifle they sent you matches the condition on the website and see if they'll send you a better one? Maybe it's just me, but if someone says "I'll send you X for $Y" and they send me something less than X, I ask for my money back or ask them to send me X.

Because I like to bitch about it and I hate dealing with customer service.

I got the bore cleaned up and i cant believe how nice it is compared to the rest. Now I see it as a challenge/project.

Just need to hunt down a few parts :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Because I like to bitch about it and I hate dealing with customer service.

I got the bore cleaned up and i cant believe how nice it is compared to the rest. Now I see it as a challenge/project.

Just need to hunt down a few parts :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

I hear you. I just get irritated when I buy something that isn't as advertised. I get it that some people like projects. I ain't of those people. Between 2 kids and working 80 hrs a week, I just don't have time.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sorry for your UPS experience. I think that happens to enough of us. My wife's office pays for mine but I think the free version covers the notifications and redirect to will call. All my stuff gets redirected to a will call. I can most never be home for them. Luckily I can be a t will call before work and I actually get the package earlier in the day anyway.

Toolness, I get you . I don't like to return things either I just deal with it or sell it in the classifieds. I on average get more than what I paid for it when selling . I think these Spanish Mausers are what they are and not something they are not.

If I were to make it a project I think is do something to make it a hunting rifle that could be undone like maybe a rear peep sight, but with the Crest on it it's still a good conversation peice.

We will see if it is a shooter. My stock is pretty tight on the barrel.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sling and muzzle cap that came with it

Attachments

• image-2441366290.jpg
      image-2441366290.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 140

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Ok, de-gunking some parts on my break at work.

I mentioned the sear looked jacked up, well once I got it out of the rifle, WOW.

Check this out. (see pic)

Now, can someone tell me what sear I need to replace this? I see Numrich has sears listed as working for ALL of the following: Spanish 1893, 94 and 95 rifles and carbines.

Same sear for all three. Would this be what I need?

And does anyone know if I can substitute a follower spring from a different mauser to work in this? Numrich is sold out of the follower springs.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 1916 Sear.jpg
      1916 Sear.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 139

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Melnic (or anyone who can chime in and forgive my terminology):

The "front band spring" that holds the front barrel band in place on your rifle, does it have some kind of spring, leaf or otherwise, under it to press it outward? Or is it springy by itself? Mine wobbles and lies flat under normal conditions. There's no "spring" force to press against that band.

It is completely loose and barely holds that front band in place. With the cleaning rod in, it is pressed outward just BARELY enough to keep you from being able to remove that front band, but it's all floppy.

It seems to pivot easily where it is secured to the stock (the front band spring) I am wondering if that is supposed to be rigid with an outward bend to make it press against the barrel band, or what the deal is?

I can take pics tomorrow if nobody gets what I am talking about...

Also, there is a gap between the barrel and the top part of the band that goes up over the barrel. I am assuming that should be tight... I may shim it somehow.

Not sure how I am going to fix the issue with that front band spring though...

I have included a link to the front band spring in case you don't know what I am talking about:
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/6110.htm

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you take the cleaning rod out and the front barrel band off, that spring tab thingie can be lifted up and out. The spring action on it seems to be a tetter todder on the stock wood and is held down by the cleaning rod. If with the cleaning rod in, it does not hold tight, I'd think a shim at the pivot point would help. You gotta take the spring thingie out to see whats going on. My rear band spring thingie is really tight. My front one is tight too but not as much as the rear.

Looking at the photo you link to, that part that hangs down on the left has a hole that the cleaning rod goes though. that holds it at one end, and then it pivots in the middle. Try putting a piece of cut business card in the middle and keep adding till its holding the front band tight.
    I have to believe the front band also needs to be tight too on its own. Thin shims under the barrel where it meets the wood may help?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    If you take the cleaning rod out and the front barrel band off, that spring tab thingie can be lifted up and out. The spring action on it seems to be a tetter todder on the stock wood and is held down by the cleaning rod. If with the cleaning rod in, it does not hold tight, I'd think a shim at the pivot point would help. You gotta take the spring thingie out to see whats going on. My rear band spring thingie is really tight. My front one is tight too but not as much as the rear.

Looking at the photo you link to, that part that hangs down on the left has a hole that the cleaning rod goes though. that holds it at one end, and then it pivots in the middle. Try putting a piece of cut business card in the middle and keep adding till its holding the front band tight.
    I have to believe the front band also needs to be tight too on its own. Thin shims under the barrel where it meets the wood may help?

Thanks for taking the time to answer that.

I wasn't sure if that front band spring was supposed to be able to come out, so I didn't want to yank it. I was afraid it was semi-permanent and barely holding on so I wanted to make sure first.

I'll try shimming it and as long as that is tight, hopefully the fact that the barrel isn't held tight on the top (it still won't be even if I get that band tight on the stock) won't hurt accuracy.

If it does, I'll shim the barrel/band gap somehow also.

Do you believe that crazy sear on mine? Looks like a blind man tried to "polish" it with an angle grinder!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Do these bolt lugs look unsafe to you guys? They seem rounded off/peened in areas and I am not sure what to think.

Attachments

• bolt lug 2.jpg
      bolt lug 2.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 127
    • bolt lug 1.jpg
      bolt lug 1.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 121

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    If someone was to check headspace on these rifles, would you use a .308 field gauge or a 7.62 Nato Max gauge?

The difference between the two is as follows:

.308 Winchester chamber headspace gauges:
    NOGO: 1.634"
    FIELD REJECT: 1.638"

US Army 7.62x51 chamber headspace gauges:
    FIELD REJECT: 1.6455"

Last edited:

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Ok, de-gunking some parts on my break at work.

I mentioned the sear looked jacked up, well once I got it out of the rifle, WOW.

Check this out. (see pic)

That....that looks...ew.

Now, can someone tell me what sear I need to replace this? I see Numrich has sears listed as working for ALL of the following: Spanish 1893, 94 and 95 rifles and carbines.

Same sear for all three. Would this be what I need?

Should be. The M1916 is just a shortened version of the 93, so should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom