• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    OK hunters:

I am going to be 70 in Sept.

My hips are shot, and I am not anywhere close to being a young man capable of what it takes to be an independent deer hunter.

Dragging is out of the question.

Barring the remote possibility that I may find a club or group that wouldn't mind greatly helping an elderly guy out, are there any truly worthwhile hunting preserves out there that wouldn't make a man feel like he was shooting semi-tame animals?

Rmocarsky

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    Don’t know any reserves, but...

Would you consider pairing up with a novice hunter? Exchange knowledge for grunt work, show the ropes, etc, split the harvest?

Might be a good alternative — lots of us new to hunting, without parents/ uncles to teach us, and willing to drag a carcass for miles :)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'll second the mentoring mentioned above. I know the DNR is actively looking for folks to mentor new hunters, and someone younger would absolutely jump at the chance to help you with your harvest as dragging a deer is definitely easier on their end than trying to figure out how to hunt virtually from scratch.

I have a buddy who is disabled (brain tumor with surgery that left him unable to work) and he hunts from a SxS ATV, but that's on private property.

Another thing to possibly look at is upland hunting. No deer dragging and while the birds are cage-raised, they still fly when flushed by dogs and it's a fair chance if you're only loading 2. I know that Mason Dixon Outfitters will do ATV hunts for birds and Pheasant Valley Farm will take older guys whose legs don't work so great on less strenuous or taxing fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom