• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well they didn’t abolish taxes, government, community property or common law. We don’t have a king anymore, but we do have a concept of government for the people and wildlife held in trust for the people. Which is why government manages them for the benefit of everyone and not just for you or for me.

Yeah a tag for a road kill to me is stupid. Apparently MD at some point decided the same thing.

Government does nothing well, which is why people bitch that the deer are eating everything in their yards.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Government does nothing well, which is why people bitch that the deer are eating everything in their yards.

People carp about deer strikes on their roads and damage to their plantings but, from what I have seen, do not want people running around the neighborhood with guns taking care of the problem either. I'd volunteer for a management hunt through suburbia and will even bring my own suppressed weapons. All meat goes in a refrigerated trailer or truck to be processed and donated to food banks. Good luck selling the idea, unfortunately.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    People carp about deer strikes on their roads and damage to their plantings but, from what I have seen, do not want people running around the neighborhood with guns taking care of the problem either. I'd volunteer for a management hunt through suburbia and will even bring my own suppressed weapons. All meat goes in a refrigerated trailer or truck to be processed and donated to food banks. Good luck selling the idea, unfortunately.

I'd totally support this. We have had generations of deer in our wooded neighborhood. They constantly destroy my wife's plantings. She continues to plant thinking she's found the right shrub/plant. They continue to eat them.

I'd happily take out bambi.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    No one is going to be shooting suppressed weapons in Suburbia unless the Govt is managing it and lots of other things fall into play. You all need to get that out of your heads as an option. Go buy a crossbow and that might work from an elevated position shooting downwards people will swallow that a whole lot easier.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Where did I advocate running through the neighborhood with guns? Some people’s imaginations run wild. You can take more deer in designated hunting areas and thin the population. There should be a firearms season during rut.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Where did I advocate running through the neighborhood with guns? Some people’s imaginations run wild. You can take more deer in designated hunting areas and thin the population. There should be a firearms season during rut.

Isn't that what early muzzleloader is for?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Isn't that what early muzzleloader is for?

Yes, but why not open it up to everything? What about a season during late rut? If there are too many deer, lengthen seasons and increase bag limits. There are fewer hunters every year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, but why not open it up to everything? What about a season during late rut? If there are too many deer, lengthen seasons and increase bag limits. There are fewer hunters every year.

The biggest issue is where hunting can be done. Not how many are harvested (for the most part). Suburbia are large swathes where that can be no hunting because there isn’t anything remotely like safety zones for it. And I don’t mean 150yd safety zones. Plenty of places where you might not even have 50yds between houses. Maybe you might have a tiny area where you’d have a safe shooting zone of a couple score yards that the HOA or similar owns.

Over population there eventually diffuses out in to more depopulated rural and rural residential areas season over season.

Yes, pushing bow safety zones to 50yds would help. No one is going to change gun or ML safety zones less than 150yds even from a stand. And in the over populated areas there are almost no places you could have a 150yd safety zone.

Unless government is going to swoop in an mandate cull hunts on private property about the best you can do is allow 50yd bow safety zones and hope it helps some. I don’t know about Columbia, but every park of any real size I am aware of in Howard County holds at least one cull hunt, either open to public or closed and government hired shooters/police annually.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The biggest issue is where hunting can be done. Not how many are harvested (for the most part). Suburbia are large swathes where that can be no hunting because there isn’t anything remotely like safety zones for it. And I don’t mean 150yd safety zones. Plenty of places where you might not even have 50yds between houses. Maybe you might have a tiny area where you’d have a safe shooting zone of a couple score yards that the HOA or similar owns.

Over population there eventually diffuses out in to more depopulated rural and rural residential areas season over season.

Yes, pushing bow safety zones to 50yds would help. No one is going to change gun or ML safety zones less than 150yds even from a stand. And in the over populated areas there are almost no places you could have a 150yd safety zone.

Unless government is going to swoop in an mandate cull hunts on private property about the best you can do is allow 50yd bow safety zones and hope it helps some. I don’t know about Columbia, but every park of any real size I am aware of in Howard County holds at least one cull hunt, either open to public or closed and government hired shooters/police annually.

If the Counties would would allow bow hunting on their undeveloped open space areas that would open up literally thousands of acres for people to hunt on. I can't find it on the website but from suckling off the Government Teat for more than 25 years I know Harford County owns many properties with undeveloped or minimally developed acreage.
    On the Oakington peninsula alone they own close to a thousand acres of contiguous property.

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    My brother left my house a few years ago, called me 5 minutes later asking if I wanted the deer he had just hit. He called the police but they didn't bother responding. Said if he was driveable to take it up with insurance. 30 minutes later the prettiest little fawn was strung up in my garage. I have the beautiful spotted hide deep in my freezer, still trying to find someone who can tan it out for me. No tag, obviously too young to be a legal harvest.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Like he said Trim ALL THE FAT off. All of it and be precise about it, anal even. Deer fat in your mouth will make you feel like you are eating cold Crisco. If you want to make burgers cut with pig fat from the butchers. We mix 73% ground beef with deer to get 13.5% ground and That does pretty good. Or you can perform Heresy and grind bacon into the meat to add fat. Pork fat is $.50 a pound and bacon can be $5 a pound, so you do the math.

How much Antimony though??

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Like he said Trim ALL THE FAT off. All of it and be precise about it, anal even. Deer fat in your mouth will make you feel like you are eating cold Crisco. If you want to make burgers cut with pig fat from the butchers. We mix 73% ground beef with deer to get 13.5% ground and That does pretty good. Or you can perform Heresy and grind bacon into the meat to add fat. Pork fat is $.50 a pound and bacon can be $5 a pound, so you do the math.

Year back I tried the same thing just to try and tan a hide and was instructed ny DNR to go to the MDSP and that officer wanted nothing with being bothered with that trouble. He told me to write down his name and badge and have DNR call him if I had any problems and he would tell them where he'd put thier deer road kill tag. I got the feeling MDSP had very little love for the MD DNR over this stuff.

Thanks for the advice. At least with the ground I like it super lean. My butcher doesn’t grind in fat (they do for sausage I am pretty sure). at least so far seems to be good. With the way I trimmed it up.

One issue was I’d realized after grinding the first couple pounds I needed the meat colder. So I tossed some ice cubes and some water in to the mixing bowl with the meat to cool it fast.

It worked. Of course even with draining, the ground meat is a bit high water content so it takes a bit to cook the water out. Only did that for half the meat before the light bulb went off of throw it on a tray(s) and toss it in the freezer for half an hour or so. Then grind it.

Did make me think though we normally do turkey bacon because my wife doesn’t eat pork (not religious, just digestive issues. Pork always gives her stomach cramps for whatever reason). Pork fat doesn’t seem to give her problems as she can eat stuff cooked in it.

Anyway, I get regular bacon every once in awhile. I do save the grease from it. Don’t usually end up doing much with it. That would be perfect to grind in to some venison sausage. Win-win. I get bacon and I’ve got some pig fat to add in to the grind. Of course you’d need to eat a LOT of bacon for that. But it’s enough that at some point I can make a pound or two of venison sausage as a trial and see how it turns out.

Also I don’t think I said, but did back straps, roasts and ground the rest. 17 packages of ground ranging from 14 to 22oz a package and big roasts. I think I ended up with around 30lbs out of the doe. Lost at least 3-4lbs from bruising I had to cut out. Another 2-3lbs from not being anal about cutting every little scrap off the bones because of time. Maybe another pound or two from not being super careful about cutting out the big tendons and large pieces of silver skin.

I am sure the carcass probably had 10lbs of usable meat between ribs, tenderloins, neck meat and being more careful removing the quarters and back straps.

Gives me more respect for the butcher for sure. Also I’d probably do better all around in the future. Lastly that I need a proper setup to hang a deer as well as a dedicated spare fridge I can hang it so I can process the whole carcass rather than just quartering it out.

Even if I am stuck quartering it out, I’d imagine I could get a bit more efficient in quartering and butchering for usable meat as well as probably doing everything a lot faster.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the advice. At least with the ground I like it super lean. My butcher doesn’t grind in fat (they do for sausage I am pretty sure). at least so far seems to be good. With the way I trimmed it up.

One issue was I’d realized after grinding the first couple pounds I needed the meat colder. So I tossed some ice cubes and some water in to the mixing bowl with the meat to cool it fast.

It worked. Of course even with draining, the ground meat is a bit high water content so it takes a bit to cook the water out. Only did that for half the meat before the light bulb went off of throw it on a tray(s) and toss it in the freezer for half an hour or so. Then grind it.

Did make me think though we normally do turkey bacon because my wife doesn’t eat pork (not religious, just digestive issues. Pork always gives her stomach cramps for whatever reason). Pork fat doesn’t seem to give her problems as she can eat stuff cooked in it.

Anyway, I get regular bacon every once in awhile. I do save the grease from it. Don’t usually end up doing much with it. That would be perfect to grind in to some venison sausage. Win-win. I get bacon and I’ve got some pig fat to add in to the grind. Of course you’d need to eat a LOT of bacon for that. But it’s enough that at some point I can make a pound or two of venison sausage as a trial and see how it turns out.

Also I don’t think I said, but did back straps, roasts and ground the rest. 17 packages of ground ranging from 14 to 22oz a package and big roasts. I think I ended up with around 30lbs out of the doe. Lost at least 3-4lbs from bruising I had to cut out. Another 2-3lbs from not being anal about cutting every little scrap off the bones because of time. Maybe another pound or two from not being super careful about cutting out the big tendons and large pieces of silver skin.

I am sure the carcass probably had 10lbs of usable meat between ribs, tenderloins, neck meat and being more careful removing the quarters and back straps.

Gives me more respect for the butcher for sure. Also I’d probably do better all around in the future. Lastly that I need a proper setup to hang a deer as well as a dedicated spare fridge I can hang it so I can process the whole carcass rather than just quartering it out.

Even if I am stuck quartering it out, I’d imagine I could get a bit more efficient in quartering and butchering for usable meat as well as probably doing everything a lot faster.

Most butchering is relatively easy. You can just follow the lines. Backstraps/tenderloins are easy to find. Some roasts are groups of muscles, and require a little thought, but I think the butchering process is the best part.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes, years ago there was a tag to issue for game purposes: accounting for animals and protecting the citizen from claims of poaching.

In fifteen years, I never saw one.

In the past I would give case numbers for reference. They could take the deer, or id call for animal control to add to their list of pick ups.

You did right. No sweat. Shame there are so many rules.

This post reminded me, I still had an old tag from when a state trooper gave me one, after I came across a deer hit along the road.

I was leaving a property to eat lunch I was deer hunting on, when I notice a deer that was still alive after being hit my a car. I called the police, and they showed up about 15 minutes after. When the trooper arrived the deer was still alive and was about 10 yards off the road. The officer noticed I was in hunting clothes, and asked if I had a firearm with me. He asked me to dispatch it, so he wouldn’t have to fill out the paperwork for discharging his firearm. I did it, he thanked me, and gave me this tag.

Attachments

• 483DC0AA-FD00-4BA4-9F86-657D77894DB4.jpg
      483DC0AA-FD00-4BA4-9F86-657D77894DB4.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 104

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I would fry your deer burger in bacon grease but I don;t think I would mix it into the grind. It is probably likely to stick to the auger and grinder head going through. My M-i-L likes to eat pure deer hamburgers and will fry them in a skillet in in Olive oil or such. So you can use it plain also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom