• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Edit April 30th, 2012

Thanks to all who signed up and sent checks, but we are below the minimum number of shooters on all of the classes. The Natural Point of Aim class came nearest to filling, so perhaps we'll try it again in the fall. The rest of the classes, precision carbine and improvised position shooting with scoped rifles, represent skills that can be learned in Ed's individual and small group courses in Louisa, so I'll encourage everyone to contact him and sign up.

Thanks again to all who expressed interest; we'll get you trained up one way or another!

Bill

February 13, 2012

Friends –

Ed Shell of Central Virginia Tactical and I are pleased to announce group classes for the summer of 2012.

Administrative details:

• All of these classes are for one day and will cost $200.

• All of the classes listed in this post are scheduled to be taught at Peacemaker National Training Center in Garrardstown, West Virginia ( peacemakernational.com ).

• With the exception of the Saturday, June 9th Natural Point of Aim course described below, all of the other classes will be offered on Wednesdays. With Peacemaker’s busy weekend schedule it was just impossible to horn in on their 600 yard range twice a month without screwing up the rest of what they had scheduled. Our hope is that it is almost as easy for you guys to sneak away on a Wednesday as it would be on a Saturday, especially since a range this close to the metro area won’t require most of you to get a hotel.

• Precision rifle classes will have a max of sixteen students (with four instructors); the NPoA class will have no more than twelve students (with four ROs).

• The confirm / deny date for all of these summer classes at Peacemaker will be May 1st, and deposit checks will need to be in-hand by then. After May 1st, slots will be locked in, but substitutions / transfers would be fine (if you break your leg your brother can take your slot).

• All classes will require a minimum of nine shooters to run; if eight or fewer students sign up for a particular class we will cancel the reservation at Peacemaker and contact those students individually to see if we can meet their needs in smaller groups on CVT’s “home base” ranges in Louisa, Virginia. Of course, in this case, full refunds or credits will be offered.

• I have a small number of scoped AR-15s which can function as loaners for each class. First come first served, please let me know in your initial email to me (see below for sign-up instructions).

Courses offered:

1) May 30th, July 11th, August 1st: Precision Carbine

A class built upon the belief that our carbines, even the sub-16 inch Short-Barreled Rifles, are capable of precise fire on man-sized targets out to 600 yards. The curriculum will start with the man-rifle interface, teach natural point of aim prone position techniques, and explain the medium- and long-range implications of whatever optics you bring. From there you will build to the basics of wind reading, calling shots, and making adjustments, out to the ballistic and optical limits of your rifle, or 600 yards, whichever comes first…

Gear:

1. Semi-auto rifle with scope. I keep saying 3x minimum, but guys who attend these classes keep getting 600 yard hits with 1x scopes, so maybe I should just quit saying it…
    2. As precise ammo as you can acquire / will realistically shoot through that gun. 200 rounds will be more than enough.
    3. Two or three 20 round magazines (30s often interfere with the prone position).
    4. Bipod, unless you don’t usually run one. We may lend you one for the day if we think it is a good idea for you.
    5. Rear sandbag, unless you don’t have one, in which case we’ll lend you one.
    6. A notebook of some kind.
    7. Summer water / hat / lotion etc.
    8. * A buddy is always a good idea, if only so you have a “learned” friend to practice with going forward. Of course, signing up “single” is just fine; we’ll make pairs based on similar gear and experience.

2) June 20th, July 25th, August 15th: Field Expedient Rifle

This class, open to both precision carbines and bolt guns, takes us out of our prone and / or bench position comfort zones and teaches us how to effectively employ precision rifles from unsupported prone, backpack, seated and kneeling, partner-supported, and standing positions. It also will teach the use of improvised positions which improve our use of cover. Further, since it can be expected that a situation which requires an improvised position may also require an immediate shot, we’ll learn and practice using the reticle for hold-overs instead of dialing elevation and windage adjustments with our turrets.

Gear:

1. Precision rifle capable of sub-minute groups.
    2. Match ammo (see above accuracy requirement).
    3. Sling swivels / attachment points (you don’t need a “practical tactical” sling – we can lend you one).
    4. Bipod, if you normally run one.
    5. Whatever your normal backpack is.
    6. Notebook and data sheet.
    7. Summer provisions.
    8. * Buddy, again, if you can find one. If not, you get to shoot off of my bony shoulder!

3) June 9th: Natural Point of Aim Shooting, including movers and turners

We believe very strongly that the foundation of ALL good shooting is a proper natural point of aim. Indeed, we believe that this is the majority of the battle, and that without it you’ll be wrapped around the axle for all eternity. We further believe that close- to medium-range stress shooting, whether that be defensive in nature, or a surprised deer, or just the hard-to-hit-because-they-are-so-close-so-fast targets at a 3-gun match, can benefit the most from proper NPoA because it is stressful in nature and we therefore fall back on our deepest tendencies, including sometimes the abdication of use of the sights. Further, we believe that in defensive or dawn & dusk hunting scenarios, where light can be at a premium, NPoA techniques can produce hits where other techniques might not.

This class will teach standing and cover-informed NPoA techniques with both handguns and long guns, in fact we would prefer everyone brought one of each. We will learn these techniques against a range of paper, steel, and reactive targets, including movers and turners on Peacemaker’s Bianchi Cup range. We will use these techniques with and without our sights at different times, and eventually get back to approx 75 yards.

Gear:

1. Pistol and long gun. If you only own one of those let me know, I suspect I have a spare around here somewhere…
    2. 200 rounds for each. I need to check if we’ll need frang for ARs for the movers; if so, we might order a case together and split the costs.
    3. Summer stuff, with a ton of water and power bars. This is an on-your-feet class; imagine an eight-hour dance class while holding metal objects away from your chest…
    4. Notebook
    5. Flashlight if you normally carry one. Cool if not.

Reservations: Please email me at billprudden@hotmail.com expressing interest in a particular date. I’ll bounce you back that I’ve penciled in your slot and provide you with my home address for your check. You’ll then have until May 1st to get it to me. If 24 hours goes by and I have not replied, please try again - sometimes spam filters get minds of their own.

Contact list: Many of you emailed me or Ed, or posted in AARs or course announcements earlier this year, or PMed us that you’d like to be informed of future classes. I’ll be going back through those lists this week and attempting to give everyone who asked for it a personal invitation. However, if you know your buddy had expressed interest in future classes, please link him to this. Thanks in advance.

Bill Prudden

Last edited:

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Great, looking forward to shooting with you again. Do me a favor and also send an email when you get a chance? That'll be my tool of organization.

Thanks, and June'll be here before we know it!

Bill

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Email sent, hope to see you then. These short little group classes are great for those of us whose funds and time are largely spoken for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom