• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Well back from my week up WV.
    Had time to test out my new Nikon 223 scope with "free" mount deal.
    Also shot the WPA steel cased Russian 5.56 ammo for the first time thru my Bushmaster AR.

First the scope. Set up targets at 100 yards. Fired a 5 shot group.
    Aim was 3" right a 2" low.
    Useing the 1 click = 1/4" at 100 yards.
    Dialed in 12 clicks left,8 clicks up.
    Another 5 shot group showed 1-1 1/2" group on the bullseye.
    Shooting of the sandbag I made 1 more click up and left, to have groups shooting 1" everytime.
    At this point reset the turret caps for 0 windage,100 yards elevation.

Next set up targets at 150 and 200 yards.
    Still on the sand bags and tripod.
    Dialed scope up to the 150 yard mark.
    5 shot group showed al 5 within 2" of bullseye.

Back down to the 100 yard targets. Dial turret to the 100 yard mark. 5 shots right in bullseye again.

Next out to 200 yards. Turn dial to 200 yard mark. 5 shot group all 1" low but tight.

This shooting the cheap WPA or Bear ammo.
    Switching to better Hornady ammo proved tighter groups.

Since scope will not fit in case when mounted to the rifle. Removed it,then remounted it. Still scope was right on.
    Man I love this new scope:)

As for the cheap Russian ammo. Shot 400 rounds thru the BM without a hik cup.
    Ran a bore snake thru it and ran 600 more rounds thru it again with not 1 problem.

Good news is I buy 500 rounds of the WPA ammo for $125.00 in WV. Good deal for plinking.
    For what it's worth. I followed the lubeing recomendations on AR's off this sight.
    Mobil 1 on the BCG and use freely. When cleaning bolt assembly was dirty. But at new time failed to function.

FWIW. I feel the Nikkon 223 scope is worth every penny.
    Also a well lubed AR will shot the cheap stuff.:) HTH

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    That's great to know!!! Thanks for the review. My upper comes in tomorrow and I can't wait to mount my Nikon on it and take it out.:thumbsup:

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Thanks for the review, if I get this new job... then I will look at upgrading my scope.. ATM I have a primary arms mildot for my HBAR

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Thanks for the review, I've been looking at affordable scopes and I'm probably gonna pick up one of these when funds allow.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Have one on my Colt HBAR its a great scope

Attachments

• colt hbar.jpg
      colt hbar.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 256

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    which magnification did you have? That's a good group, any chance you have pictures? Always good to see concrete anecdotes for steel stuff lol.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Wow... That's damn impressive.

So you can shoot 1MOA groups at 100 yards with WPA steel cased Russian 5.56 ammo ???

That's pretty Rare so WoW..

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Cobra, I enjoyed your eval., If it's possible to love a scope, for me the
    Nikon M-223 3-12x42 Rapid Action Turret is the one. Don't get me wrong, I have shot all of the M-223 Series scopes and there is not one I wouldn't put on my own rifle. I just like being able ot dial up and down my distance. Of course on my and my son's deer rifle's we have BDC reticle scopes. Easy to use and very accurate especially when you combine it with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program.
    Here's one of my pics to make Tower HAPPY !!!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Pardustargetm-223.jpg

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Zombiehunter,the scope is a 2-4x32
    You can see the 223 holes at 125 yards thru the scope,but after that you need a spoting scope or telescope as we used.
    I have the regular reticles. Not the BDC reticles if it matters. Just easyer for me to see.
    It is a great scope for the price and the ability to range it in and out with the turn of a dial and still have it return to 0 is a feature us target shooters really like.

I used a range finder to be sure of the distance when seting out targets to be sure it got 0'ed correctlly at 100 yards initially before ranging further targets.
    And use 55 grain bullets when sighting in as that is what the scope is calibrated for. Never tryed heavyer bullets to know how scope compensated for those

Tzoid not to confuse. The WPA ammo will not allways hold 1-2" groups over 100 yards. 3 out of 5 maybe,but not all 5 with consisdentcy. Rereading my post can see where it could be misleading.
    It will however hold 2-3" groups out to 150 yards as a rule.
    Lets say if makeing head shots at 200 yards you'd be OK.

When useing the Hornady match grade polymer tip. Well thats just nice ammo,but a bit pricey if just ranging in a new scope or plinking away for fun.
    When shooting out of the gun vise it will give very nice,tight groups.
    I've shoot it out of the BM 20" HBAR and also my Remingtom 700 30-06 with excellent results.
    Since I neither hunt or match shoot. Only keep 100 or so rounds on hand since it serves no other purpose then fine tuning new sights or a scope.

My mention of useing the WPA ammo was to give feedback to those worrying about failure to feed,eject or fire when useing cheap/inexpensive ammo.
    Personally did'nt find it overly dirty when useing. At least not what I was expecting to find after reading some experience's with it here.
    To those wondering. Shoot the stuff and enjoy it.It does'nt jam, or overlly crud up the gun causeing misfires or jams.:)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Thank you for the follow up :)
    I'm thinking of one of their 1-4x M223s on a 16" midlength AR. This helps with that decision.

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    I am hoping to get this job so I can upgrade the Scope on my 16in AR from an EOTech to an M-223. I love the EOTech but I want to be able to shoot longer ranges than I can now. Or you know I could potentially sell the thing... but where's the love in that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom