• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I wanted an HK94 clone that I didn't have to worry about beating up, and because I am a stamp collector, I wanted an SBR. The famous Todd of Coharie Arms is selling off the last of his HK 94 clones - the CA89s. He has CA89 pistols, SBR's, rifles, and SBR SD silenced models left. All are in 9mm. I purchased a CA89 that is being turned into an SBR, mainly because I want a fixed stock on it and he is selling the SBR's with the sliding stock.

Now he is letting them go for a lot less than I have seen anyone else selling them for right now - mainly (he says) because he is getting out of the HK clone business. The CA89 pistols are $1020, the SD's are $1925 for fixed stock and $2100 for sliding stock. The SBR's are $1600 with sliding stock ($580 premium over the pistol version) and I didn't ask how much the rifles are going for.

If you know about Coharie guns, and their reputation, then these guns are a pretty good deal in my opinion. If you aren't familiar with them then you might want to talk to someone who does know about them to see if it would be a good deal for you. Either way, I wanted to pass this along to the MDS crowd.

On another note, I'm also trying to get the change together to have a Dakota Arms 10mm made (another HK94 clone) but those are top notch, and it might take me a while to get the funds for that.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    Dakotas are nice, but super pricey! 1900 just for a barreled reciever is wayyy too much for me.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I would worry that the CA89 pistol would be considered an SP89, but hell MD approved the skorpion Vz-61, so who the hell knows.

Mark

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    The CA89 is the HK94 clone. Their CA89K is the SP89/MP5K clone. Neither are on the list so I have to have it turned into an SBR HK94 clone in order to get it. The rifle, SD, and SBR versions don't have to worry about that (in fact the rifle is "just" a regulated gun).

http://www.coharie-arms.com/products.html

rifle:

ca94fs_01.jpg

Pistol:

ca89fsp_01.jpg

SBR:

ca89sbr_01.jpg

SD:

ca94sdsbr_01.jpg

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is this the same guy from Special Weapons? A while back, there was confusion on who was who in the HK 94/MP5 clone companies. Rumor had it that most of the companies were under the same group of individuals. I have heard mixed reviews of their weapons, but maybe things have changed. If anyone would care to elaborate, we would all be appreciative for future reference.

Q

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Yes, he is Coharie, Special Weapons, and "Tactical Weapons" which is the retailer you buy through. The Coharie guns are what they are - a cheap HK roller clone. The more recent ones are better than the "horror story" guns, but keep in mind that you might still be tweaking it when you get it. That is why I caveat it above. For me, it is a deal. For someone who is new to HK guns, it might be better to pay a little more to buy one through an IP or dealer here who can support you along the way if you need it.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I would avoid Coharie at all costs. We had a customer bring an SBRed MP5 clone which the receiver was bent on and absolutely irrepairable. We also had customer transfer in an MP5SD clone and the suppressor did not function. This was an actual, tax stamped suppressor and it sounded the same with and without the suppressor. When we affixed our actual MP5SD suppressor it was effective, i.e. their suppressor was total junk.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think Special Weapons, Bobcat and Coharie are made by the same guy... Toad Bailey

I own a couple of HK clones.. quality is inconsistent.. hit/ miss. Out of 4 that I own, 1 is completely junk.

SW5, SW5PDW, SP10 these are okay, but not great, they fuction well after I changed out the extractor and springs. A lahe another NIB SW5 that the frame is out of specs and welded cockeyed. I do not want to sell it for the fear of being sued as selling junk.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Hence the reason that I caveated this in the first post. If these were Vector guns at this price I would buy as many as I could and then tell everyone to buy one.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have had terrible times with these guns, many need so many parts replaced that it becomes cost prohibitive compared to a used HK94

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom