• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 15, 2018
    could you guys please recommend some cheap slugs for the range. I'm new to shotguns so I'm still learning what is good and what is not

Thank you

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Buy a bunch of different kinds and see which group the best from your shotgun. My favorite are the federal truball low recoil. Federal also has mini slugs I picked up at bass pro but they did not feed, cycle, or eject properly. They were reasonably accurate and low recoil. I highly recommend a tornado brush if you shoot slugs. It makes cleaning much easier.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Rifled bbl or smooth? No sense in buying sabots if it's a smooth bore and no sense in buying rifled slugs if its a rifled barrel. I've had best luck in smooth bores with lightfield foster type slugs. Sellior&bellot and fiocchi make pretty inexpensive slugs. You will need to try several varieties my experience is slug guns are usually pretty picky.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Buy a bunch of different kinds and see which group the best from your shotgun. My favorite are the federal truball low recoil. Federal also has mini slugs I picked up at bass pro but they did not feed, cycle, or eject properly. They were reasonably accurate and low recoil. I highly recommend a tornado brush if you shoot slugs. It makes cleaning much easier.

This. I use the Federal Truball low recoil as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Rifled bbl or smooth? No sense in buying sabots if it's a smooth bore and no sense in buying rifled slugs if its a rifled barrel. I've had best luck in smooth bores with lightfield foster type slugs. Sellior&bellot and fiocchi make pretty inexpensive slugs. You will need to try several varieties my experience is slug guns are usually pretty picky.

True, but I don’t know if there is such a thing as “cheap” sabots.

Lots of cheap options for smooth bore.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'll second or fourth the notion that you need to try several brands. It's not like slugs are made to a NATO spec and will all fly pretty much the same, regardless of who made them. I've had different branded slugs have points of impact vary over a foot at 50yds. I consider myself fortunate that my competition shotgun likes Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002082562?pid=113965. My LGS has them a little cheaper and they hit almost point of aim. Wichester slugs go way right (IIRC) out of that shotgun, almost off the paper, and I think the Truball prints way low. My wife's shotgun doesn't seem to like any of the reduced recoil versions we've tried. If she wants it to hit where she's aiming, she has to use full power Remmington Sluggers :o

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I'll second or fourth the notion that you need to try several brands. It's not like slugs are made to a NATO spec and will all fly pretty much the same, regardless of who made them. I've had different branded slugs have points of impact vary over a foot at 50yds. I consider myself fortunate that my competition shotgun likes Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002082562?pid=113965. My LGS has them a little cheaper and they hit almost point of aim. Wichester slugs go way right (IIRC) out of that shotgun, almost off the paper, and I think the Truball prints way low. My wife's shotgun doesn't seem to like any of the reduced recoil versions we've tried. If she wants it to hit where she's aiming, she has to use full power Remmington Sluggers :o

My smooth bore deer barrel on a rem 1100 prefers rem sluggers. My rifled Hastings deer barrel on a rem 1187 will only shoot accurately with Winchester sabots. For some reason I’ve noticed I get tighter groups with both guns using 2 3/4” v/s 3”. I still use 3” in the rifled barrel for better knock down at longer distances. I really only shoot the smooth bore at paper, to big of a disadvantage for hunting these days.

Dec 15, 2018
    Thanks alot for all the replies

I'm using a remington 870. The hardwood home defense model

Iv been shooting a few different brands. But they aren't cheap like 9mm or 223 like I'm used to so its hard to really test them out

Thanks again

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Is this for a home defense situation? Maybe buy some 00 Buck and be done with it. Likewise, not much to worry about how tight a group a gun will throw with slugs unless you are looking at shooting out to 50+ yards.

Let me ask this question, rifled barrel or smoothbore? If you have a rifled barrel, forget the 00 buck and use the slugs. Smoothbore, I think I would go with 00 buck or some other type of buckshot for home defense.

Rib/bead, rifle sights, or scope on the gun?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have two questions for you. What is the purpose for wanting to shoot slugs? You have picked a very solid platform for your shotgun. Let's talk about your barrel. You stated the gun is the home defense model. I would guess that your barrel is not rifled. Rifling is the grooves that help the projectile spin. Most likely your barrel is short, no rib on top for sighting, and a smooth bore. If I have accurately describe your barrel then there is NO Need to buy expensive slugs. If you had a deer hunting set up then yes find the expensive slug that is the most accurate. I have a Savage 220 bolt action shotgun with a scope and this one is very accurate with $15 a box Remington accutips. On the other end my backup/loaner slug gun is a brake action Rossi. It has a riffled slug barrel and open sights. El cheapo slugs work great.

My biggest newbe mistake was learning how to shoot with a slug gun. I bought a used .22 and my shoulder became very happy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Some ranges have stopped letting people shoot shot of any kind so the OP may be taking the best course available to him by buying slugs.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Fed low recoil truball have been accurate out of my 870 with 18" fixed modified barrel on it. For defense, a segmented slug like the pdx load is pretty ideal. They break up to both increase trauma an limit overpenetration. All slugs will be pretty devastating, so controlling overpenetration seems like the thing to look for with defensive slug choice.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    If you're new to shotguns, you should also buy an ice bag for your shoulder. Federal low recoil law enforcement slugs and buckshot are a little easier on the shoulder. I'm not sure how they compare on a cost basis.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Get into reloading and casting your own slugs. I can shoot 12ga slugs I casted and reloaded for pennies for each shell

This thread got me interested in doing this, and it looks pretty simple to do. I haven't seen any molds to cast "rifled slugs." Do they exist? Any links?

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    I tend to buy the mid power Forster slug stuff on price, although I don't remember what the price was. I usually use Remington Foster slugs and Fiocchi slugs. They are both very accurate in my smooth bore antique guns, Remington Model 11 and Browning A-5, both of which have LPA rear sights and serrated ramp front sights. I use the slugs to sight in, currently for 25 yds, then blast away with No. 8's at the patterning range getting ready for 3-gun matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom