• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scobra

Nov 17, 2014
    Hey Cobra, It's me scobra,
    You forgot to mention our "clay targets on a stick" competition!
    I form a heavy gauge wire into a 3' long straight piece that has a loop at the top to hold a clay. We place five of these at different distances, NOT symmetrically distance spaced. Running a timer we use a shotgun to shoot the far left, far right, left, right, and center...in that order. Challenging! The stands hold up remarkably well and as he said we miss plenty of clays when throwing them so there's always plenty of them for this game.
    Tannerite inside a pumpkin at 100 yards is fun. I won't go into our experience putting tannerite under a weber kettle grill but done right you can launch that lid 200' straight up....I have the videos to prove it.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    When I was a kid I would line up .22 RF cartridges on a log with the rim facing me; then shoot them offhand with a scoped .22 from about 15 yards. Wear shooting glasses...

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I was going to leave the tanerite “games” of blowing up pumpkins,grill lids,tree stumps, water barrels, kitchen sink launch, ect off the list. Not to mention blowing up wood doors at 200’ yards and finding pieces in the tree’s later on when 4 wheeling ride
    We probally don’t need to give anyone else those ideas.
    What happens in WV stays in WV lol

Forgot about the filled water bottles lined up for our 22 shoots. Those are pretty fun for reactive targets.
    Forgot about clay shoot. We’ll have to do that again this April trip. That was Fun stufffor sure

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Melnic when head of nail is flush with board,consider it driven.
    I like the game of shooting coins, that will definetlly be part of our April trip. I can see us trying to hit them at 200’ with our ar 10’s.
    Animal cracker safari, now that sounds challangeing and can see us taking it to a new level with our 308’s at 2-300 yards.

Keep the games coming. Love to hear what others do for fun at the range

The problem with some of these and .308 or other high powered rifle is, you can break or shatter them with the shock wave, without hitting them.

That is why they work best with .22.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Pincone interesting.
    You no doupt have way more experience in long range shooting,but fact that a 308 could shatter a animal cracker before bullet hits it. Interesting experiment.
    Never considered the physics involved
    Going to be fun what happens

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not necessarily before it hits, but say you miss by 1 inch. The supersonic shockwave could break the target, and you think you hit, when you did not.

The experiment, would be to see how close the bullet has to pass by the break the cookie with the shockwave.

Sounds like a GREAT science fair project. Anyone have a kid of the right age? :D

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    "Stake shoot"

Kind of a dueling tree.

Shooters, as many as you want and can safely setup. Each have a target, on a 2x4, unlimited rounds and mags. Simple, highest score wins. The catch, you not only shoot your target for score,,,, but you shoot opponents 2x4 holder in an attempt to chop it down. When a target is down, that shooter is out. When all targets are down, score the targets. Any where on the target is 1 point. So, do you blast away and get as many as you can on your target, or work on opponents to drop it? Team work will work only until the last 2 are standing. If you are being ganged up on,, blast away on your target and get points, dont waste time and ammo on others. Big bore helps to cut opponents holder down, but if they are blast away with a .22 and getting hundreds of points while you are trying to cut them down, which is better?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Melnic when head of nail is flush with board,consider it driven.

I like the game of shooting coins, that will definetlly be part of our April trip. I can see us trying to hit them at 200’ with our ar 10’s.

Animal cracker safari, now that sounds challangeing and can see us taking it to a new level with our 308’s at 2-300 yards.

Keep the games coming. Love to hear what others do for fun at the range

My point is that your view is from the top of the head and unless you have a shadow, looking through a scope, hard to tell it flush as you have no 3D or side view prospective , only a top view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex