• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    I have the Ruger 8516 Elite Lower and I'm wondering if I can use it with a 10.5" pistol upper. I will remove the stock and put an SBA3 pistol brace on it before attaching it to the upper. It has never been installed with any upper at all yet.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If it was transferred as "other" (not rifle), you should be good to go.

It doesn't matter how it was transferred.

It only matters if it was a pistol or a rifle first, which is based on the physical configuration of the firearm. If it had both a rifled barrel and a shoulder stock first, then it was a rifle first. If it had a rifled barrel but no stock, then it was a pistol first. If it was a pistol first you can do whatever with it, if it was a rifle first it stays a rifle forever.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    It was a complete lower first and has never had an upper attached to it so it doesn't identify as rifle or pistol yet. I guess that means the choice is mine.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I would VERY strongly suggest that you look at your federal Form 4473 and see how the lower was transferred to you.

There are three choices that can be selected:

Handgun
    Rifle
    Other

If "Handgun" or "Other" are checked, then you may legally proceed with your handgun build.

If "Rifle" is checked, you are setting yourself up for a felony charge related to building an unauthorized SBR.

IANAL, but this isn't rocket surgery. LOOK AT YOUR 4473.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ed, ATF has stated in writing in the past that what it was marked as on the 4473 doesn't matter. All that matters is if it was ever physically configured as a rifle or a pistol, because being a rifle or pistol is defined in the law as having certain physical characteristics (i.e. simultaneously having a rifled barrel and a shoulder stock to be a rifle). A receiver has none of those characteristics, so it is ALWAYS an "other firearm" no matter which box was checked on the 4473.

I don't have that letter in front of me, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I would VERY strongly suggest that you look at your federal Form 4473 and see how the lower was transferred to you.

There are three choices that can be selected:

Handgun
    Rifle
    Other

If "Handgun" or "Other" are checked, then you may legally proceed with your handgun build.

If "Rifle" is checked, you are setting yourself up for a felony charge related to building an unauthorized SBR.

IANAL, but this isn't rocket surgery. LOOK AT YOUR 4473.

A paperwork error does not make the gun "made from a rifle." I can also assure you that, as this lower left the factory, it was a "RECEVIER."

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thank you Hawkeye.

I was/is my understanding that if the 4473 called it a rifle, it IS a rifle. Definitely, as you point out, that if it had EVER been assembled as a rifle, it IS a rifle. I'd appreciate seeing the letter you reference.
    Ed, ATF has stated in writing in the past that what it was marked as on the 4473 doesn't matter. All that matters is if it was ever physically configured as a rifle or a pistol, because being a rifle or pistol is defined in the law as having certain physical characteristics (i.e. simultaneously having a rifled barrel and a shoulder stock to be a rifle). A receiver has none of those characteristics, so it is ALWAYS an "other firearm" no matter which box was checked on the 4473.

I don't have that letter in front of me, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Wow I feel privileged. I knew you guys wouldn't steer me wrong. I have never used this lower and it is a great product. I plan on using the MOE stock on a different rifle and I am leaning towards the SBA3 brace with 10.5" barrel for the Ruger Lower. Is an AR15 pistol chambered in 223/556 practical?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    With a 10.5" barrel, sure, it'll be practical. You lose some velocity from the shorter barrel, but it'll be a ton of fun to shoot and you can do almost anything with it.

Wow I feel privileged. I knew you guys wouldn't steer me wrong. I have never used this lower and it is a great product. I plan on using the MOE stock on a different rifle and I am leaning towards the SBA3 brace with 10.5" barrel for the Ruger Lower. Is an AR15 pistol chambered in 223/556 practical?

It would be fine. I wouldn't go under 10" in 5.56/.223, as velocity drops significantly below 11".
    Personally, my pistol preference would be a .300 Blackout, but I reload (factory .300 ammo gets expensive) .300 Blackout was designed to fully burn powder within an 8.5" barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With a 10.5" barrel, sure, it'll be practical. You lose some velocity from the shorter barrel, but it'll be a ton of fun to shoot and you can do almost anything with it.

Define practical? It’ll run, shoot and absolutely be lethal. It’ll also be loud as hell and throw fireballs. I mean, not as bad as a 7.5” or 8.5” 5.56, but it is a very significant increase over 14.5” even.

I’d go with a linear comp or blast forwarding device/flash can if you do go with a 10.5”. I had a 10.5” for a little while. With an A2 on it for about 30 rounds and then a Stoner linear comp. with the A2 it was significantly louder with more blast than any other gun I own or have shot. With the linear comp I’d call it maybe only slightly worse than a regular 16” with a brake (not an A2, but a brake).

Not something I’d want to ever use in doors unless I had ear protection (and good stuff). Even with a linear comp, if no ear pro is suspect in an HD situation and night a shot or two is going to leave you temporarily deaf and likely flash blind for a few seconds.

If it was HD that you were looking at, keep a set of electronic ear pro hanging from the gun. Or better yet get a 300 BO. It is much more pleasant to shoot out of a 10.5” barrel. And with .300 BO you could load subsonics. Even if you don’t use a can, subsonic 300BO is significantly quieter out of a short barrel than super sonic is.

Significantly quieter than a handgun. Not 22lr levels of quiet, but probably the quietest firearm you could use other than maybe a 22lr or 32acp.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Define practical? It’ll run, shoot and absolutely be lethal. It’ll also be loud as hell and throw fireballs. I mean, not as bad as a 7.5” or 8.5” 5.56, but it is a very significant increase over 14.5” even.

I’d go with a linear comp or blast forwarding device/flash can if you do go with a 10.5”. I had a 10.5” for a little while. With an A2 on it for about 30 rounds and then a Stoner linear comp. with the A2 it was significantly louder with more blast than any other gun I own or have shot. With the linear comp I’d call it maybe only slightly worse than a regular 16” with a brake (not an A2, but a brake).

Not something I’d want to ever use in doors unless I had ear protection (and good stuff). Even with a linear comp, if no ear pro is suspect in an HD situation and night a shot or two is going to leave you temporarily deaf and likely flash blind for a few seconds.

Yeah, this is all true. I even have a loudener (a Rugged muzzle brake) on mine for when it isn't wearing a suppressor, and it's just punishing like that.

If it was HD that you were looking at, keep a set of electronic ear pro hanging from the gun. Or better yet get a 300 BO. It is much more pleasant to shoot out of a 10.5” barrel. And with .300 BO you could load subsonics. Even if you don’t use a can, subsonic 300BO is significantly quieter out of a short barrel than super sonic is.

Yup. I run a suppressor on my SBR almost all the time, no matter what caliber upper it's wearing (right now I have .300BLK and 5.56). The suppressor helps a ton, but even without it, I really like the 10.5 length for an AR in 5.56. It's short enough to be pretty handy, long enough to function and keep usable velocity, etc. Yes, if I was running one without a suppressor I'd want some sort of flash can or linear comp on it for sure because loud.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    FWIW- Post #9 was written by an attorney who works for Sturm, Ruger & Co. In layman's terms- he is one of Ruger's lawyers.
    It is safe to say he knows what he is talking about here. Remember he posted as a fellow forum member; not your lawyer.

Wow! He should know!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom