• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Locked & Loaded - The Gun Industry's l Lucrative Relationship with Hollywood

The NRA is proud of its "Hollywood Guns" exhibit. It's the most popular of more than a dozen rooms and multiple showcases, which include the gun that Theodore Roosevelt took on a 1913 expedition to the Amazon. The shiny allure of the Hollywood gun room comes last in the museum tour — "like a reward," says an NRA official.

American Entertainment Armorers Association and parent company, Independent Studio Services, one of Hollywood's biggest prop houses with more than 16,000 guns in its arsenal, nearly all real, ISS is the largest armory in Hollywood (about 80 of the guns at the NRA's Hollywood exhibit are on loan from ISS).

So the NRA has .05% of ISS inventory on loan, and they are in a lucrative relationship with Hollywood ? Sure, just like my piddly collection is supportive of the NRA's vast inventory ... despite my Lifetime Membership. Talk about fake news ... If it weren't for launching a cool moving graphic when you click on the link, this article is worthless.

Somebody mash the button PLEEZE !!!

Attachments

• bullbuttonrjrtm22974.jpg
      bullbuttonrjrtm22974.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 347

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    How many here have a firearm because they saw it in a film, or one or some of their guns to another in a movie when showing it to someone else?
    I bet it's many. I know I do.

The article is actually not bad, nor are the videos they put together (Heat gets a ton of mentions. The armory at ISS is beyond impressive).
    You can also read the struggle the authors had with the blatant hypocrisy of their own authoring of it while pointing out the hypocrisy of film producers while in one moment advocating for civilian disarmament and in another glorifying the use of firearms in their films.

My favorite is when they mention Joss Whedon. That guy is as big a cuck as they come, yet there he is explaining what went into Nathon Fillion's gun from Firefly.
    (I make it a point to mention that I own a Glock 26 like the one Scarlett Johansson wields as Black Widow in the Avengers series ;))

There is also a great deal of blatant hypocrisy from ISS. They have no problem advocating for carve-outs in CA law as prop masters. They opened a London office to circumvent CA and US law in obtaining arms. Meanwhile, CA residents go thru holy hell while trying to gain access to tools for use in defense of their families.

The Hollywood Reporter also isn't off-base when pointing out that the NRA does benefit from guns in our media.
    As I mentioned in my first statement, some of us buy guns because X character used it in X movie and that was kickass!

The NRA even featured a show on YouTube breaking down moments of gunplay in feature films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9bI6SWmXg&list=PLL4WXHHZosdfq7dMWflb04K7mNHCnGWKE

And yes, the NRA featuring guns used in hollywood in their own museum, meanwhile bashing Hollywood for their hypocrisy is hypocritical in itself.
    The NRA Museum has two of the guns used in Reservoir Dogs -- a movie glorifying the actions of criminals.

Everyone's guilty.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Chicken or the Egg ?

How many here have a firearm because they saw it in a film, or one or some of their guns to another in a movie when showing it to someone else?
    I bet it's many. I know I do.

The article is actually not bad, nor are the videos they put together (Heat gets a ton of mentions. The armory at ISS is beyond impressive).
    You can also read the struggle the authors had with the blatant hypocrisy of their own authoring of it while pointing out the hypocrisy of film producers while in one moment advocating for civilian disarmament and in another glorifying the use of firearms in their films.

My favorite is when they mention Joss Whedon. That guy is as big a cuck as they come, yet there he is explaining what went into Nathon Fillion's gun from Firefly.
    (I make it a point to mention that I own a Glock 26 like the one Scarlett Johansson wields as Black Widow in the Avengers series ;))

There is also a great deal of blatant hypocrisy from ISS. They have no problem advocating for carve-outs in CA law as prop masters. They opened a London office to circumvent CA and US law in obtaining arms. Meanwhile, CA residents go thru holy hell while trying to gain access to tools for use in defense of their families.

The Hollywood Reporter also isn't off-base when pointing out that the NRA does benefit from guns in our media.
    As I mentioned in my first statement, some of us buy guns because X character used it in X movie and that was kickass!

The NRA even featured a show on YouTube breaking down moments of gunplay in feature films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9bI6SWmXg&list=PLL4WXHHZosdfq7dMWflb04K7mNHCnGWKE

And yes, the NRA featuring guns used in hollywood in their own museum, meanwhile bashing Hollywood for their hypocrisy is hypocritical in itself.
    The NRA Museum has two of the guns used in Reservoir Dogs -- a movie glorifying the actions of criminals.

Everyone's guilty.
    I think we're in agreement, but the devil is in the details.

The headline screams 'the gun industry', and while it focuses on ISS, early in the article they link to the NRA. If we step back and look at the film industry as a whole, they glorify violence, especially gun violence and then turn around and hold massive fund-raisers for gun-grabbing liberal/progressive politicians ... who take their money without remorse or regret.

So who are the real hypocrites ... the NRA for displaying inanimate objects of a gruesomely violent Tarantino film, or everyday gun enthusiasts who want to add a replica of Dirty Harry's S&W .44 Magnum to their collection ? Should we feel like phonies if we derive some guilty pleasure from them, when the 'left coast' cranks them out, then turns the profits over as campaign donations to politicians who want to relegate our rights to just viewing firearms in a movie ? It's as a self-fulfilling prophesy.

After all, the NRA and it's membership aren't international gun runners.
    Andre Baptiste Jr.: Can you bring me the gun of Rambo?
    Yuri Orlov: Part One, Two, or Three?
    Andre Baptiste Jr.: I've only seen Part One.

Attachments

• lord-of-war.jpg
      lord-of-war.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 270

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Product placement is a thing both in movies and video games. How many people want a Chiappa Rhino or Kriss Vector because they saw it in that movie?

Hollywood has a very uncomfortable relationship. They want to sell movies, and movies with gun sell. But they they get afflicted with limousine liberal guilt.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    ISS isn't anti gun. The lead prop master is one of the founders of IMFDB. Did they seek an exemption from an onerous state law? Sure they did. So did Beretta on FSA 2013.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    All in agreement :thumbsup:

There's just a ton of irony.
    How many gun enthusiasts and pro 2A folks have been sparked because of John McClain's Beretta 92?

I see the same thing with the popularity of Call of Duty, Battlefield, and other first person shooter video games.
    Those games have made a ton of younger gun owners.

In The Division, I could literally own/make the same guns I have in real life.
    It gets liberal panties in a giant knot.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...world-connection-between-video-games-and-guns

The video game industry as a whole had a ton to lose with Clinton as pres. She advocated for censorship in video games in the past.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    ISS isn't anti gun. The lead prop master is one of the founders of IMFDB. Did they seek an exemption from an onerous state law? Sure they did. So did Beretta on FSA 2013.

Not like this:

Elsewhere at ISS, in a large office, owner Bilson — a self-described moderate "weapons enthusiast, not a weapons nut" who believes "there needs to be additional commonsense legislation" such as a national database "and a lot of other things that the NRA is against" — remains in the political cross fire. When he's not ducking the NRA's LaPierre's verbal salvos about Hollywood violence ("We felt like we were thrown under the bus"), he's navigating byzantine local, state, national and international gun laws (California legislation is the country's strictest). ISS regularly is audited by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the state Department of Justice and the Los Angeles Police Department.

As president of the American Entertainment Armories Association, Bilson is in close contact with the MPAA to carve out exemptions, such as a far shortened waiting period to get ahold of a handgun. "[Armorers] can't wait 10 days — they need it that day or the very next day on set due to the speed of production," he says, noting more generally, "There aren't really rules governing what it is we do. So [legislators] have kind of fit a square peg in a round hole, and we have adapted to it as best as we can."

Despite its challenges, Bilson sees his weapons department just like all of the others at ISS. "We're telling stories with props," he says. In the modern revolver room, surrounded by hundreds of double action firearms, he adds: "There is a liberal bias within Hollywood. But these stories are being told, and they are making the liberal bias a lot of money. I don't see that changing anytime soon."

A mother trying to defend her home has to wait 10-days, but she takes a back seat to Matt Damon.

It's just not the right approach.

The first video mentions Ronnie Barrett. He doesn't work with anti states or with hollywood. Principled.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Not like this:

A mother trying to defend her home has to wait 10-days, but she takes a back seat to Matt Damon.

It's just not the right approach.

The first video mentions Ronnie Barrett. He doesn't work with anti states or with hollywood. Principled.

In fairness I said lead propmaster. Didn't know the owner was a fvcktard. Fvck that guy with a pineapple.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry for the side track ...

Actually Beretta didn't, but were 'offered' a deal which they soundly rejected.

‘Berettas Don’t Bluff’: Major Gun Company Threatens to Leave Maryland Over New Gun Control Proposals

Some lawmakers are expressing confidence that they can strike a deal with Beretta, keeping the jobs the company provides while also enacting stricter gun control measures. And if possible, Beretta likely doesn’t want to relocate at their own expense.

But according to the Washington Post, the company’s Italian “patriarch” Ugo Gussalli Beretta expressed a lack of confidence in the state.

“All I can tell you is, there always seems to be a problem with Maryland,” he reportedly said.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But what if I like SAA's and Win M92's , that were staples of movies starring and produced by John Wayne , very pro-gun and outspoken Conservative?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Movies frequently feature firearms that are representive of an historical era ( including the current day of the production ). To what degree do gun owners influenced by specific movie vs having an interest in that historic era generally ?

Conversely movies also feature firearms that are unusual , interesting, or distinctive visual appearence. Plenty of gun owners like iunusual, interesting, and visually distinctive firearms whether or not featured in a movie.

Actual Hollywood people with pro-gun / pro- 2A publically acknowledged beliefs are rare. I'm only half joking when I saw they can all ride in the same car.

( there are undoubtedly more , who keep their mouths shut to avoid career retaliation from the overwhelming progressive elements in Hollywood, and Media generally.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom