• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I just got home from another trip to the court house. She said that the MD and DC safety course certificate were both from out of state and that there was not an NRA instructor listed on them so there is a high chance that it will be denied but said she would send it up regardless. She said I was clearly over qualified for this and agreed it was silly what I was going thru.

I'm pretty sure my wife's and my NRA safety certificate went to Utah without making a copy of it =( I called NRA, the man I spoke with said most people were out of the office due to an event, but should be back tomorrow. He said that he was pretty sure they can supply me with another copy.

I'll get copies for both my wife and myself so I can have them on file. I don't plan on sending it in until I get my denied letter so we (mdshooters) can all know if the MD/DC safety course would work.

She made it clear, they look for NRA instructors on documents. Something MD/DC do not list. (at least not my MD card from many years ago)

#1 on the list does state a safety course from another state would be fine... however I missed the "hunter" part. My guess is hunter safety courses are done by NRA instructors...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's a total crock .from VSP web page

. there are several ways to get training besides an NRA course. I used the MSP old video training and they accepted it. Seems the judge should talk to VSP.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    statute here.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.02/

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    "utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state."

She said both my documents had nothing to do with NRA so the odds were low. I explained that in order to get the Utah permit I had to be qualified by an NRA instructor but sadly sent the paper work to Utah. I told her it's silly but I'm not too worried about it because I currently carry in VA on a daily basis and VA has no issue with it but can't see that as proof that I understand guns. Or the fact that my MD HQL says right up top HAND GUN QUALIFYING LICENSE. but I wasn't a dick, I told her I get it, it's protocol, it's just silly and I laughed about it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute also says a STATE CERTIFIED agency. Did they overlook that? If the training comes from the Govt (DC) it is valid.

what a bunch of jerks.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    That might be a concern since many HQL's are issued under the exemptions.

The exemption that you either had the hunter safety course, or have owned a handgun and haven't killed anyone with it before 2013 either way it should show you can be around guns without issue.

The other side of it is VA is open carry so it doesn't even matter, anyone who wants to open carry can so it adds salt to it.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    This reeks of 'Activist Judge'.

More likely a clerk who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

My apologies to all Loudoun county residents. You are after all fellow Virginians!

I didn't mean anything by my comment other than the MSP certificate was accepted when I applied for mine.
    I do agree that we Virginians have to stick together and keep fighting. More and more carpetbaggers are moving here trying to destroy our 2A rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I agree, I don't think it made it past the clerk above the people who filed it.

judges are strange animals. I lived with a legal secretary for 29 years and have heard all sorts of stories. Some courts want papers filed using a specific font and doubled spaced...etc. if it's not right, it gets sent back without even a looksee. If I were the OP, I would give them exactly what they are looking for. Nothing more or nothing less.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Do you have the old MD Online Safety course certificate? If you do, that will suffice. If not, you will have to take some kind of training that will be accepted. Just so you know, this is not a Loudoun County requirement, but a VA requirement. I used my online safety course from the MD State police and it worked.
    probably not...

It will work for nonresident permits, but probably not for resident ones since each county has some say over their own training requirements.

Kind of odd, but nonresident permits are a little easier to get than resident ones because they will take the MPTC certificate.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    probably not...

It will work for nonresident permits, but probably not for resident ones since each county has some say over their own training requirements.

Kind of odd, but nonresident permits are a little easier to get than resident ones because they will take the MPTC certificate.

I am a VA resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute gives no additional authority to counties to change the training requirement., nor is the training requirement different for non resident permits. VA has state preemption.

The county allowing only NRA training certs is total BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom