• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    I ran across a "too good to be true" deal on Armslist and contacted the guy who listed as living in Sykesville. I email the guy and he says that he no longer lives in Maryland but could ship the pistol. I dropped our back and forth once he stated he no longer lived in Maryland since it seemed fairly suspicious to post outside of your state of residence and with the amount he was requesting. It didn't help that his style of writing mirrored the famed Nigerian Prince that needs someone to help him move his fortune and will give you US 10,000 dollars for your trouble.

I don't want to do a private sale with someone from out of state unless it is with a business. I am paranoid about things I cannot see in-person (only started trusting Amazon within the last year and that was only because of their return policy). However, I am curious. Has anyone done this and how did you go about payment without sweating a scam?

In case anyone is curious, the ad was for a "Sig Sauer P226 Elite Dark 9mm with Nitron sights, SRT Trigger, Aluminum Grips and (1) 15 round mag. Incudes factory case and manual".

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I saw a Nigerian scammer selling puppies on Craigslist the other day. They are into scamming everything and gun ads seem to be one of their favorites. I would move on.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is why the auction sites, like GunBroker, have feedback. You can tell the solid sellers from the bozos.

Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    This is why the auction sites, like GunBroker, have feedback. You can tell the solid sellers from the bozos.

I am annoyed with Gunbroker. They won't let me register until I send an image of my driver's license. There is some problem in their system where it does not recognize that my address is real (not new construction). Has that come up for anyone else? As stated in the original post, I am paranoid of Internet sites/sales since I'm always afraid to give up info.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I avoid Armslist like the plague. Just too many stories of too many shady things that go on over there. There may be some legit people on there but I hear too many things that make me want to stay away.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Armslist can be fine. Of course, if it sounds like a scam, move on.

Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    I have only made sales on there with some rifles and shotguns. I think I had only 1 guy play games with me but, it was with a small sale so it was a minor annoyance. Now, with that said, every time I contact someone to inquire about a post, I detect a scam or they are super unreliable. I am projecting most of my irritation from one recent guy who reached out to me to say he had a 226 for 300...twice....in 2 months...and never returned emails. Don't know if he was being a dick on purpose or just doesn't use the computer much. Me? If I'm selling, I'm responding ASAP to make a sale or inform the person of multiple interested parties.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You mean to tell me my browning gold medalist i bought for $200 isn't going to ship from California ? :rolleyes:

Feb 28, 2013
    I ran across a "too good to be true" deal on Armslist and contacted the guy who listed as living in Sykesville. I email the guy and he says that he no longer lives in Maryland but could ship the pistol. I dropped our back and forth once he stated he no longer lived in Maryland since it seemed fairly suspicious to post outside of your state of residence and with the amount he was requesting. It didn't help that his style of writing mirrored the famed Nigerian Prince that needs someone to help him move his fortune and will give you US 10,000 dollars for your trouble.

I don't want to do a private sale with someone from out of state unless it is with a business. I am paranoid about things I cannot see in-person (only started trusting Amazon within the last year and that was only because of their return policy). However, I am curious. Has anyone done this and how did you go about payment without sweating a scam?

In case anyone is curious, the ad was for a "Sig Sauer P226 Elite Dark 9mm with Nitron sights, SRT Trigger, Aluminum Grips and (1) 15 round mag. Incudes factory case and manual".

If they can't meet you, only buy from businesses.

There are good ones in Idaho and Oregon that I've bought stuff from on Armslist.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Had a friend scalped for $1900 by a Mr. Luna fella in Texas who was selling a M1A that was worth $3000 for $1900, and he'd pulled the same scam many times. The local police knew of Luna and charges were brought eventually, but my friend never got his money back or the rifle that did not exist. Many warning signs were present, but overlooked.

I do a lot of FTF work in central MD and am somewhat active buying and selling on GunBroker.

Lew--Ranger63

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I've seen too many fake ads, with the same picture of the same gun, located in different states....like a Colt Python. I would never consider buying anything from that site. Gunbroker is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom