• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am trying to pick out a red dot for my recent build. I would like to keep it under $250. I will manly use it for plinking but do intend to take some carbine classes later this year. I was looking at the Vortex SPARC II and the Primary Arms Advanced micro dot. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to put a comp M4 or T2 on it. But I have a hard time justifying that much for an optic, when I have many other wants. I plan on purchasing an Aimpoint in the future but need something durable and decent to bridge the gap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Look into the Holosun. They are the maker of the primary arms red dot. I have several and they work well.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Aimpoint PRO ~ $400 [Worth every penny]
    Vortex StrikeFire II ~ $180
    Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base & riser ~ $155
    Bushnell TRS25 w/ riser ~ $100

You get what you pay for, but the list above seems to be a pretty good value for the price point.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I am trying to pick out a red dot for my recent build. I would like to keep it under $250. I will manly use it for plinking but do intend to take some carbine classes later this year. I was looking at the Vortex SPARC II and the Primary Arms Advanced micro dot. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Can't go wrong with the two options listed. I'm a big fan of the Primary Arms Micro. Having said that, I've been slowly replacing them with Aimpoint H1 micro dots.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Vortex Strikefire II. They are tested with 1000rds of 375 H&H...they are alot better than given credit for. I love mine.

417363b716a6e290de658050fddabcc1.jpg

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I am trying to pick out a red dot for my recent build. I would like to keep it under $250. I will manly use it for plinking but do intend to take some carbine classes later this year. I was looking at the Vortex SPARC II and the Primary Arms Advanced micro dot. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You can't skimp on optics if your intending on taking carbine classes you would be better served with irons then a cheap optic. The reason is that reticle will shift point of impact. The batteries will die and the mounts will fail to hold zero. Regardless of what anyone tells you on the forums about their experience with cheap optics. trust me, if you don't mind adjusting your point of aim every time you go shooting then get a cheap optic. I'm not trying to bash anyone's purchase but optics are not created equal. Period. one carbine class will cost you approx 500$ in ammo and tuition. if you intend to shoot 100-200 rounds per year then let your rifle sit in the safe then a cheap optic is what your looking for. It amazes me that people spend hundreds of dollars on accessories but go cheap on optics. If your patient palmetto state armory runs rock bottom sales on aimpoint optics.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Another vote for the Vortex Strikefire. Absolutely love it. Very accurate and holds zero. Another plus for me is. That I prefer the green reticle instead of red. Many other of the lower end "red dot" optics only have a red dot, no option for green.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

I have both, nothing wrong with the SPARC II but I would get the Primary arms just because it's a bit cheaper.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Hey everyone if you are in the market for a new car, I highly recommend a Rolls Royce. I PROMISE you that you won't be disappointed! :rolleyes:

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    I'm a big fan of the vortex spare series, but again PRIMARY ARMS makes affordable alternatives with fantastic customer service! Any issues they are more than willing to replace or refund with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I have an ampoint pro, works pretty good. But if you want to stay under $250, vortex is way to go. I have a trs25 on my ak pistol, works pretty good but only shot about 200 rounds with it so really can't testify on it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I've been looking too. Although I'm financially embarrassed, I'm tired of buying bottom barrel products just because it's what I can afford. I'm saving my $ until I can get an AimPoint Pro. I use to be one of those "This here only cost me x$ and will do the exact same thing as product z for 1/4 the price." Sometimes it's true...but I don't think so when it comes to Red dots. Riflescopes...different story for ME. I can't afford and won't justify the price of a NightForce and similar on deer and casual target rifles. My Swift, Simmons, and Leupold have served me well enough. Off topic...wife wanted a juicer. I bought a cheap one with a decent warranty that had good reviews. Didn't even last a month. Luckily I was able to return it. This time I'm gonna spend a lil more $ and get a better quality one. Buy once cry once.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Hey everyone if you are in the market for a new car, I highly recommend a Rolls Royce. I PROMISE you that you won't be disappointed! :rolleyes:

Well let's see: Ar-15= 700-1200 dollars. Cost of carbine class=250-500 dollars. Cost of ammo for said carbine class=150-300 dollars. Accessories for AR-15: are going to run you 150-300 dollars or depending on how tacticool you get. Then you buy a case or carry bag. Then next you have to have a tac vest or chest harness. The most important things on any defensive AR-15 rifle are the optic if your going that route, ammo choice and reliable mags. I would never tell someone to buy the most expensive optic like a H-1 or T-1 when there are cheaper options that are just as durable and reliable. It's just amazes me people buy an expensive weapon platform and spend a lot of money on training classes and fail to invest in QUALITY optics or budget for ammo. You can drop your rifle once on the range moving from a station and need to zero your rifle again with a poor choice in optic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom