PSA: Do civilians with guns ever stop mass shootings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The Volokh Conspiracy
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/
    A while back I posted about a few examples, but since then there have been some more, so I thought I’d note them. Naturally, such examples will be rare. Even in states which allow concealed carry, there often aren’t people near a shooting who have a gun on them at the time. Many mass shootings happen in supposedly “gun-free” zones (such as schools, universities or private property posted with a no-guns sign), in which gun carrying isn’t allowed. And there is no central database of such examples, many of which don’t hit the national media, especially if a gunman is stopped before he shoots many victims. Moreover, at least some examples are ambiguous, because it might be unclear — as you’ll see below — whether the shooter had been planning to kill more people when he was stopped.

:D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Wasn't there a doctor that shot an armed attacker who thought the office was a gun free zone?

That was in Philadelphia a while ago. The hospital banned firearms possession on property, but the doctor ignored that and kept a pistol in his desk. He managed to stop the attacker that came in from inflicting more carnage than he did.

The hospital didn't punish the good doctor :thumbsup:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    And let's not confine ourselves by a gun control lobbyist's frame (not Volokh, of course ... but those that have spun the news media). In most instances, mass killers have been stopped from further killing by good guys with guns. Very often, they have worn law enforcement uniforms and done this in the line of duty. Thus it's indisputable that a good guy/woman with a gun can stop the additional killing. If there were more concealed carriers, there would be greater opportunity to stop mass shootings sooner. Yes, a single concealed carrier without law enforcement training could get killed more easily - but they immediately change the dynamics of the attempted mass killing - putting the killer in immediate risk and preventing the killer from focusing entirely on the unarmed.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That was in Philadelphia a while ago. The hospital banned firearms possession on property, but the doctor ignored that and kept a pistol in his desk. He managed to stop the attacker that came in from inflicting more carnage than he did.

The hospital didn't punish the good doctor :thumbsup:

This made me think of another dynamic in play here. At schools and universities, even if legally there's no law against CCW there, almost everyone there (students, teachers, others employed by the school) have something to lose if caught (fired or expelled). So while it's certainly possible some will still be carrying, most people will think the odds are better that they get caught carrying rather than get caught NOT carrying. I'd venture to say 99% of folks on campus at any time are either students or employees(especially during class time, when these shootings always happen).
    Contrast with some other business, or perhaps hospital or church, where people not employed by the business,exc. come in and out all the time, and don't have anything to worry about if they're discovered carrying, other than being asked to leave. Makes a much less target rich environment when there's people around who don't have to worry about losing their jobs.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Gun Free Zones are here to stay. Regrettably. Because people with guns, in their minds, are lower than whale crap. We're not welcome in their world.

And each side is so entrenched right now that no middle ground will ever be reached and BHO knows it.

We are right. They are right. Stalemate!

There is only one way to break a stalemate.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Gun Free Zones are here to stay. Regrettably. Because people with guns, in their minds, are lower than whale crap. We're not welcome in their world.

And each side is so entrenched right now that no middle ground will ever be reached and BHO knows it.

Gun free zones should be limited to places that have metal detectors and armed guards. If the place is supposed to be sensitive, then prove it. Private establishments can still make their own rules.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Gun free zones should be limited to places that have metal detectors and armed guards. If the place is supposed to be sensitive, then prove it. Private establishments can still make their own rules.

The owners of a gun free zone should be held accountable for any deaths that occur there by a gun. If they have not supplied the requisite protection for disarmed individuals, they are liable.

Why have the victims families and survivors of these tragedies not sued the schools, movie theaters, etc.? FG's parents got a nice piece of change from B'more. They tried to go after the gun manufacturers.

I wonder why?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Posted on a lib 'acquiantance's' Facebook page. Sad.

But I need the one line comeback. Maybe that one kid would think twice if everyone had rocks.

rocks.jpg

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Hardly not nationwide.

Personsally I think GFZ are magnets for nut Jobs..and also liberals..but maybe I repeat myself.

In any case odds of a nut job offing a liberal are significantly higher than a nut job offing a moderate or conservative.. So frankly I am optimist long term.

Here's a few :) :) :)

I keep forgetting where they should go...

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The owners of a gun free zone should be held accountable for any deaths that occur there by a gun. If they have not supplied the requisite protection for disarmed individuals, they are liable.

Why have the victims families and survivors of these tragedies not sued the schools, movie theaters, etc.? FG's parents got a nice piece of change from B'more. They tried to go after the gun manufacturers.

I wonder why?

So we should insist that owners of "gun free zones" carry massacre insurance. :party29:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Posted on a lib 'acquiantance's' Facebook page. Sad.

But I need the one line comeback. Maybe that one kid would think twice if everyone had rocks.

View attachment 160853

Leave it to the libs to see everyone as a child, except for their elitist selves of course.

Hard to say how many others were stopped simply by the guy seeing he didn't have the upper hand and then going home to not bother any one else again. It's hard to say. Also, mass murders are rather rare so it's going to be hard to line everything up at the same time for one to be stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom