• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BVO

Dec 24, 2013
    Hey guys,

I've recently started building my first AR. I've been able to find everything I need up until now just on other threads and links.

I'm looking for a 16" barrel, but was recently told by a gun shop owner that it has to be listed as a heavy barrel in the description to be MD legal.

I'm having a hard time finding anything that is 16" and listed as a heavy barrel anywhere. Can any of you guys maybe help point me in the right direction of where to look, or suggest some of the barrels that you guys are using?

Thanks in advance for the help.

fdizzo762

Oct 30, 2014
    I too second the OP question, any other input on what constitutes a legal "heavy" barrel in MD would be much appreciated.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I too second the OP question, any other input on what constitutes a legal "heavy" barrel in MD would be much appreciated.

"Heavy" or "HBAR" are not defined in statute or COMAR. Per MSP Cpl. Edwards: "I would recommend obtaining information from the manufacturer of the barrel where they define the item being purchased as a heavy barrel."

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Hey guys,

I've recently started building my first AR. I've been able to find everything I need up until now just on other threads and links.

I'm looking for a 16" barrel, but was recently told by a gun shop owner that it has to be listed as a heavy barrel in the description to be MD legal.

I'm having a hard time finding anything that is 16" and listed as a heavy barrel anywhere. Can any of you guys maybe help point me in the right direction of where to look, or suggest some of the barrels that you guys are using?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm in the process of building my first two. One A2 for CMP and one flattop.
    I need 20 inch for CMP, and am looking at 18 for the flat top.

Anyone have an opinion on Criterion barrels?

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Check out Classic Arms. Just bought a 20in HB. They have 16in HB also.
    On-sale , it was priced at $76 and well worth it as it was nicely finished in
    black manganese park and drilled for gas port. Only problem(discussed in another thread) was that it is not threaded for flash-hider.

Here is the key bpoint of this post: invoice provided by Classic states
    "Heavy Barrel" in ntwo different fields although barrel is not stamped.
    This should clearly satisfy the "legality "issue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you build a new upper to put on an 'old' lower in Md., does the bbl need to be an h-bar? Not a big deal. Just want to be sure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you build a new upper to put on an 'old' lower in Md., does the bbl need to be an h-bar? Not a big deal. Just want to be sure.

If the "old" lower existed as a non-HBAR prior to Oct 1, 2013, no, it does not need to be an HBAR.

If it was only an HBAR prior to Oct 1, 2013, then it has to be HBAR, you cannot make a non-HBAR now, not legally.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If the "old" lower existed as a non-HBAR prior to Oct 1, 2013, no, it does not need to be an HBAR.

If it was only an HBAR prior to Oct 1, 2013, then it has to be HBAR, you cannot make a non-HBAR now, not legally.

Thanks. I thought I'd read it that way before but, my mind plays tricks on me sometimes.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013

So I've seen stripped lowers for sale. I'm assuming those would have to be purchased with the intent of building into a HBAR rifle? I'm glad to see that we can at least buy stripped lowers in the state.....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Where have you been? :)

Stripped lower came available last summer.

You can build an HBAR or a Pistol or (if MSP and BATFE can come to a meeting of minds) an SBR.

mace2364

Feb 5, 2015
    So random question here:

If you turn your own barrels from blanks(and are hence the manufacturer) where does that leave you with regard to whether or not something is an HBAR?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So random question here:

If you turn your own barrels from blanks(and are hence the manufacturer) where does that leave you with regard to whether or not something is an HBAR?

Greater than 16" in length and .750 minimum diameter along the entire profile.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Greater than 16" in length and .750 minimum diameter along the entire profile.

Forward of the gas block can be a little narrower (without military contour) but, between the GB and the chamber should be .75'' or thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom