• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    That makes us a vast right wing conspiracy doesn't it? I'm so damn proud!!!

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You are gonna make "Daddy" Cardin mad. He knows what's best for us, and that's more abortion, welfare, and taxes on the rich.

Silent Majority my ass. This guy is so out of touch with reality he might as well be smoking legal weed or dropping acid.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Thanks...

Feel free to copy/paste/edit

Senator Cardin:

I am writing you today to inform you that you need not support any new federal laws on gun restrictions for the law abiding citizens of your state and your country. We are NOT part of a "vocal minority" that insists upon our civil rights as you so put it in an email to other constituents:

"Unfortunately, I have received less than twenty emails from the silent majority that supports common sense gun control laws. If we allow the small but vocal group of anti-gun control activists to drown out our voices, I am not sure any meaningful legislation will be passed in Maryland or Washington."

You are ignoring your constituents that are NOT in your "silent majority." Last I checked, this is a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy. Our founding document limits all three branches of government in their power as well as any "silent majority" from trampling upon the enumerated civil rights of all individuals, no matter how repugnant you and your "silent majority" might find them.

This is your reminder and a message to you that your facts are wrong; vote accordingly.

Respectfully yours,

FightinBluHen51
    Gun Owner
    NRA Member
    SAF Member
    MSI member

I should have started it off with Dear, My Friend Ben...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been thinking today about this "silent majority" that Cardin referenced. The idea of the silent majority came about with Nixon in regard to Vietnam - according to him, the ones protesting our involvement were the vocal minority, but that the rest of the country was in fact the silent majority, which may not have had any substance - I think that by the time Nixon came to office, America was pretty disgusted about our involvement there.

Having said that, something that I think is worth looking at are some simple numbers that paint a different picture of just who the silent majority is when it comes to gun rights. To illustrate this a bit further:

According to Wikipedia the current population of the United States is around 315 million
    Also according to Wikipedia, the US is currently the most armed nation in the world with .888 guns per person, or roughly 89 guns for every 100 people, making for roughly 279 million guns in the hands of private citizens.

While the exact breakdown of actual guns per person/household can't be determined, it still seems to me that we aren't exactly a minority here.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Makes me want to drop a FOIA (the Maryland equivalent) and request all emails relating to guns from the District 14 delegates and senators. I am interested to know how many people actually email them.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I bet you can find the "silent majority" in all of the un accountable voting machines.... No wonder they keep getting re elected. Lying sacks O crap, all of them.

Jesse in Rockville
    2nd generation NRA life member
    GOA member

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    OK...let's go with the premise that gun owners are in the minority. The politicians bend over backwards to pander to every other minority group so why are gun owners the only ones they want to bend over forward?:mad54:

Yes it is a rhetorical question.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I posted this in the "Tax" thread, but it is relevant here as well.

I sent him this in response after I got his newsletter this morning:

Dear Delegate Jon S. Cardin,

I had to respond to the outrageous comments you made in your "Annapolis Report" email this morning. It is clear to me that your constituents are tired of attacks on their Second Amendment rights. The Second Amendment has been gnawed away piece by piece for decades. Enough is enough. Clearly the email and telephone response that you have received from citizens that are against more gun control is telling. What is more telling are the extremely large number of Maryland residents that are also speaking with their wallets against gun control. The panic induced by people such as yourself in the name of "common sense" has led to a historic run on firearms and ammunition. There have been so many sales of firearms that the Maryland State Police cannot keep up with demand for background checks and are running weeks behind. Clearly, "common sense" would tell you that the vast majority of your constituents do not want more gun control. "Common sense" would tell you that your idea that there is a "silent majority" that wants more "senseless" laws that will do nothing to prevent crime is not valid. You need to listen to what your constituents are telling you instead of standing on your emotional moral soapbox.

Your scheme to fund mental health services by taxing the use of a Constitutional Right is appalling. The idea is a loser, right up there with poll taxes. There are other ways to raise revenues for mental health services that are not unconstitutional. Mental health is an extremely important issue that is more wide-spread than just associating it with firearms. Mental health services MUST be better funded, but not at the expense of a Constitutional Right.

That brings me to my final questions to you: Why have you not submitted legislation that will directly protect children in every school? Why are have you not tried to place an armed police officer in the places where our children are most vulnerable? "Common sense" would dictate that the opportunity to directly confront and deter an armed attacker is better than no opportunity at all. Please actually DO something that will actually PROTECT our children.

Sincerely,

Soda

Borrowed some of that for todays letters. Can't write something original every day :)

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is how these people think. This is what's scary.

"If I get 5,000 letters/calls/emails from people who think I'm doing the wrong thing, there's no way *I* could be wrong, so there must be 10,000 people who AGREE with me but AREN'T speaking up".

If nothing else, they think, "Well, I still got elected, so I must be doing SOMETHING right."

As long as people continue to vote for these blowhards, these blowhards will continue to sell THEMSELVES on the righteousness of their actions.

This has always been the downfall of Democracy...people who aren't educated in how our government and our Constitution works are still allowed to vote and to run for office.

We all say, "vote 'em out", but the same arseholes get right back in, year after year. That ALONE, in their minds, justifies any action they take.

The ONLY thing that will ever get through to Cardin or anyone else is the threat of losing their cushy legislative job...i.e. being voted out of office. If he believes there is no threat of that, he will do what he wants and will disregard his constituents in favor of his fabricated "silent majority" that must be voting to keep him and his wild policies in office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom