• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This is one of those rifles I did not know I needed until a saw it for sale here and did some research.
    It's a 1990's Winchester Model 70 Heavy Barrel in .223, when Winchester made these the used HS Precision stocks with the aluminum bedding block and they also used a Wilson target grade barrel. These rifles were available in 5 calibers and have a reputation of being very accurate. I thought the trigger was a little heavy so pulled the action, trigger is adjustable by spring tension and taking some of the spring tension out made for a very crisp 2 lbs.
    I added one of the Nikon 4x16 FFP Fx1000 scopes that are currently on close out, really impressed with the scope, can't wait until I am able to sight it in, figures I would buy a new to me rifle when the ranges are closed.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
      IMG_1670.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 800
    • IMG_1672.jpg
      IMG_1672.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 904
    • IMG_1675.jpg
      IMG_1675.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 780
    • IMG_1673.jpg
      IMG_1673.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 759
    • IMG_1679.jpg
      IMG_1679.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 811

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    So, you are the one that bought it! I looked at it a good bit and almost pulled the trigger on it. The only thing that stopped me is that I already have one! Those rifles are shooters! I am sure you will enjoy it! Congratulations!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    So, you are the one that bought it! I looked at it a good bit and almost pulled the trigger on it. The only thing that stopped me is that I already have one! Those rifles are shooters! I am sure you will enjoy it! Congratulations!

Thanks, what caliber is yours? I almost bought another 2 years ago, it was in 220 Swift but it had a lot of rounds through it and I was worried about the throat.
    I may end up trying to find all the calibers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Thanks, what caliber is yours? I almost bought another 2 years ago, it was in 220 Swift but it had a lot of rounds through it and I was worried about the throat.
    I may end up trying to find all the calibers.

Mine is a .223 also. I have a 12X Leupold varmint scope w/ target knobs on it. Loves everything from 52gr-69gr. My 69gr load will shoot ragged holes at 200yds. 23.8gr IMR 8208XBR 69gr Nosler custom comp Tula SRM primer OAL 2.255".

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mine is a .223 also. I have a 12X Leupold varmint scope w/ target knobs on it. Loves everything from 52gr-69gr. My 69gr load will shoot ragged holes at 200yds. 23.8gr IMR 8208XBR 69gr Nosler custom comp Tula SRM primer OAL 2.255".

Thanks, I loaded up some 69gr Sierra Matchkings for starters, I've got some of the Noslers also so will load with those too. I've had good accuracy with the Noslers in other rifles.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This is one of those rifles I did not know I needed until a saw it for sale here and did some research.
    It's a 1990's Winchester Model 70 Heavy Barrel in .223, when Winchester made these the used HS Precision stocks with the aluminum bedding block and they also used a Wilson target grade barrel. These rifles were available in 5 calibers and have a reputation of being very accurate. I thought the trigger was a little heavy so pulled the action, trigger is adjustable by spring tension and taking some of the spring tension out made for a very crisp 2 lbs.
    I added one of the Nikon 4x16 FFP Fx1000 scopes that are currently on close out, really impressed with the scope, can't wait until I am able to sight it in, figures I would buy a new to me rifle when the ranges are closed.
    Nice rifle. GREAT pictures...

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Those are FANTASTIC rifles. I remember reading about/coveting one since I first read about them in "GUNS" magazine in the mid 90's.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have one in 308 and It’s an extremely accurate rifle. Will shoot sub moa all day long.
    Mines topped with a Nikon monarch 3x9 scope that I plan to upgrade one day.
    Would’nd Want to carry around woods as a hunting rifle but as a bench rest rifle

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Figured I would update this thread, due to shoulder surgery I was unable to shoot it until yesterday. Had not been sighted in with the scope I put on it so started shooting at 100 yards at dirt clods, first shot was about a foot away from point of aim right and almost dead on elevation, adjusted the scope and second shot was close enough to put it on paper.
    Rifle amazed me, this is the first group I shot with it, the 2 circled holes I was still adjusting the scope, the group is 8 to 10 shots and is about 1/2". This rifle should really shoot when I have the time to fine tune a load specifically for it.
    Have to seriously look for one of these in 220 Swift now.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
      IMG_0710.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 155
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04