Setting up Plano case, too much going on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I'm laying things out trying to get a good layout. For those of you that have done these, do you think I'm going for too much? Does it start to get sloppy when too many things are too close?

13987984_1136312406441132_8493564975796975728_o.jpg

As much as I want to start ripping squares out, I figured I'd ask first.

P.S I have no desire to add a scope.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So the space between guns gets to thin and gets sloppy. I made that mistake once by putting two guns to close together.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I usually only put one pistol in the same as the ar. I then keep some clipazines for each in as well. Once i acquire more pistols? I want to get one of those seahorse four pistol cases. I do have room for a red dot and smaller scope. I also use the silicone Midway USA c*** socks for each so that they stay ok. Lastly i put in a pack to absorb any moisture. A few threads on here about foam and moisture. Obi-Wan Clandestine suggested wax paper to protect if no socks.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    So the space between guns gets to thin and gets sloppy. I made that mistake once by putting two guns to close together.

That's what I was thinking would happen but wasn't sure how solid the foam was once you remove its neighbors. Minimum 2 square thickness I assume?

I did grab a 40? pack of those silica packs to toss into all my different stuff. For ammo storage too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    1 rifle, 1 pistol, lots of mags. If the pistol mags will go straight in(vertically), bonus. AR mags-in bundles of three. Don't forget a place for a sling and other sundry items.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is this for storage, shtf, or going to the range? Some ranges may not approve of muzzles pointing in different directions. That would definitely be a no go at the AGC.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Loading up for when I hit the Maryland range which is a friends backyard. But looking forward, that is a good point if a range has a rule about that.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Oh...you're going to bring that across the Iron Curtain, eh? Personally, I don't transport mags in the same case as guns :shrug: not in The Feestate, anyway. I'm sure there have been and will be ongoing debates about how separated and locked down our equipment needs to be. I try to err on the side of excessive caution...but that's just my take.

The BGOS is strong in my family...my father has it, I have it, and my sister has it...

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Most folks don't think of the following when building up carrying cases for guns/equipment/etc.

You want the case to balance at the carry handle. Here's how:

Lay a large (about 1" diameter) wooden dowel such as a broomstick down and place the case, flat and atop it, 90 degrees to the dowel, with the center of the handle directly over the dowel. The case should seesaw on the dowel.

Place all your components on the case foam as you will be carrying them.

Ideally, the loaded case will rest on either end--meaning, the load is balanced in the case at the handle. One end will not be heavier than the other.

This technique works for cases with a center handle as well as cases with an offset handle. Ultimately it makes the case ride perfectly horizontal while being carried by the handle.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Great stuff, fellas. I was thinking of buying
    a Plano 42" for an AR and 1911. Learned
    a lot about balance, etc., on this one.
    Also, I have a question to which none
    of the online advertisers have yet
    responded. That is, I see the pictures
    that show the case with what appears
    to be lockable closures, but the text
    descriptors do not specify locks or even
    say "lockable". Is it safe to assume that
    all Plano cases DO have locking closures?

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    All cases like this do have some facility to lock them. The cheaper roto-molded poly cases have simple rings molded into the flange where the lid meets the bottom section, and you slip a padlock through the holes. See link.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2dslsvd.jpg

More expensive cases have TSA-style locks--or a built-in cylinder lock on each clasp. Some have little combination wheels.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I did grab a 40? pack of those silica packs to toss into all my different stuff. For ammo storage too.

Foam absorbs ambient moisture and causes issues when it touches metal for an extended period of time. You obviously won't see any issues over short periods.

As recommended, you want to put a barrier between the gun and the foam. I still use foam cases for prolonged storage but use protective bags. Silica packs won't do much at all.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you could stand just to have two guns, one rifle and one handgun, and a bunch of mags for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom