• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I would like see if I could figure out enough 922 parts to be able to make this SBS from an MKA1919 but use the factory foregrip/rail here. Five round magazine and a collapsible (not folding) stock so it should be OK under MD law. A number of places make the 922 parts for them now as well.

Just wondering if anyone has done an SBS Form 1 lately and if so were there any issues with MD law and the ATF?

Attachments

• mka-1919-sbs.jpg
      mka-1919-sbs.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 362

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Shotguns are only copycats with a folding stock (semi-auto) or a revolving magazine. You could load that sucker up with a 30rd mag if you could find one.

922r is easily dealt with by using US-made magazines and a US gas piston, or by swapping the lower and using a US-made LPK. The BATFE has no idea about 922r compliance when approving your form 1, nor do I think they care at all in general when it comes to individuals.

I would be way more concerned about keeping the gas system happy than any of this other stuff, really.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The new MKA1919 "Match" series has a shorter gas system designed to work with cheap low brass #7-#8's. At this point, mine has ~500 rounds through it (mostly Walmart Federal #8's) and other than a couple of hiccups during the initial break-in, has ran well. It can shoot the high brass buckshot, but you have to change out the gas ring.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The new MKA1919 "Match" series has a shorter gas system designed to work with cheap low brass #7-#8's.
    But the Match variant is still assuming that it has an 18" barrel for the gas dwell time. You chop down 4" or so of that, and you're going to reduce the gas dwell time significantly, I should think. I'm not saying it won't work, but it is something I would do some research on - and have a plan for.

I am really quite impressed with the MKA-1919 after-market at this point, and would definitely be considering one if I wanted a new mag-fed shotgun.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    But the Match variant is still assuming that it has an 18" barrel for the gas dwell time. You chop down 4" or so of that, and you're going to reduce the gas dwell time significantly, I should think. I'm not saying it won't work, but it is something I would do some research on - and have a plan for.

I am really quite impressed with the MKA-1919 after-market at this point, and would definitely be considering one if I wanted a new mag-fed shotgun.

Oh, definitely. It has a 19.5" barrel; If the OP intends to chop, I would consult someone with extensive 1919 experience before going down that road (Firebird precision, Tooth and Nail Armory, etc...)

Also of note, it's the upper receiver that's serialized on the 1919, not the lower. Something to keep in mind for engraving a SBS.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the gas system is why I only had my Saiga 12 chopped to 13"... that was as far back as I could go without having to do serious modification to the gas system. Still used a booster puck and a replacement gas plug. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom