• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have the chance to buy Russian made WPA Military Classic ammo in 223 55 gr. steel case. $125.00 per 500 hundred rounds.
    This would be shot from my Bush Master AR.
    Any down side aside from being a bit "dirty" compared to braas case shells?
    So far my BM has shot several "name" brands without problems, just never tryed foriegn made ammo:)

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    i havent tried the wolf, but i have used tula in one of my ARs and it worked flawlessly. just dont try and shoot brass after shooting steel w/o cleaning first. the laquer/polymer/whatever coating will gunk up your chamber.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have the chance to buy Russian made WPA Military Classic ammo in 223 55 gr. steel case. $125.00 per 500 hundred rounds.
    This would be shot from my Bush Master AR.
    Any down side aside from being a bit "dirty" compared to braas case shells?
    So far my BM has shot several "name" brands without problems, just never tryed foriegn made ammo:)

Decent but Not a great price, you can get 1000 rounds of tula for 200.00 at a show.

Maybe a little more dirty than others. Some will say steel case ammo is harder on the gun. which i agree, however, brass 223 is about 300-375 for 1000. wolf or tula is about 200-225 per 1000. Each time i shoot it i save 100.00 or better, if i need to ill buy the 150.00 bolt group or 30 firing pin, or extractor after i have saved 1000.00 dollars from shooting the cheaper stuff. Thats also Not to say that something couldnt break from the brass stuff.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    some AR's dont like steel brass so be careful of buying that much...if it works for you then no problems....but it will piss you off in the end if your AR doesnt like steel ammo...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have shot a ton of wolf no issues, but the price is ......meh average even factoring a mild 10% increase

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    There is another poster here asking how to get a stuck case of Wolf out of his AR,.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    try silver bear ammo. its fairly cheap and seems to be quite clean. i have not shot any 556, but their 7.62 is quite good. i see alot of wolf leave a mess in AK actions all the time, even though they are piston systems...but even after 100 rounds of silver bear there is next to nothing in the action of mine. also since the cases are zinc plated steel you do not need to worry about the protective coating building up.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    There is another poster here asking how to get a stuck case of Wolf out of his AR,.

Dont be mislead, Just because a round gets stuck doesnt mean the ammo was to blame. Brass can do the same. I have fired about 1500 rounds through my one AR's of tula and wolf, I have not cleaned anything BUT the barrel and chamber. I have had zero issues. It should be noted that i use wheel bearing grease on the bolt, dont try to run that many rounds with oil.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Snavematt that is exactlly what it says on the box "Military Classic".
    I'll be going shooting in a few weeks and will try it out.

Not worryed about how much more frequent I might need to clean my rifle.
    I probally over clean it compared to most as it is.
    I clean every gun/rifle after each outing requardless of rounds shot.

Works OK in my AR I have a new cheap ammo option.
    All else fails my freind will buy it up for his bolt gun.
    Thanks for the input gang:)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I have no problem shooting wolf.

That said...$250/1k is expensive. Aimsurplus, cabelas, jgsales have it for far less just to name a few and they will deliver to your home saving you gas/time.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    When shooting wolf remember to clean your chamber thoroughly every couple hundred rounds and you shouldn't have a problem it's when lawyer and poly build up with powder and heat that thingsvget sticky

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I ended up with some russian surplus in a trade and while it's not the most accurate I'm shooting it out of my MAK90 so screw it. Not terribly dirty. I'd buy it again without any complaints specially because it's cheap and with the price of metal go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom