• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I need somebody to demo the exterior siding on my house. It's vinyl siding over a quarter inch of Styrofoam over cement singles over clap board. I need the vinyl and cement singles removed down to the original clap board. It's all second story and two gables work. Some can be done from the porch roofs. It's approximately 800 sqft of work. Will pay cash. Mount Airy

IMG_4659cs.JPG

IMG_4660s.JPG

IMG_4661s.JPG

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Are you sure your 'cement' shingles are not actually asbestos shingles. Back in the day that was a popular materiel to make siding shingles. When I was a kid I helped my Dad put them up on houses he built, the old shingle cutter is still in the basement over my Mom's.
    You need to be careful handling that stuff.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Are you sure your 'cement' shingles are not actually asbestos shingles. Back in the day that was a popular materiel to make siding shingles. When I was a kid I helped my Dad put them up on houses he built, the old shingle cutter is still in the basement over my Mom's.

You're right - our first house had asbestos shingles. A number of them cracked but I was able to replace them with cement shingles that matched the pattern almost identically.

To replace all the shingles I was told that the house had to have a tent built around it and guys with hazmat suits had to come & remove it.

We just left it alone.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know, but they were installed in the fifty's. My designer has told me that's it's not friable so it's not an issue. Not sure if he's correct, but he pulled a bunch of it off himself. I know it can be disposed of in the landfill without any paperwork or restictions.

I've had asbestos covered pipes removed and I'm familiar with that procedure.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I don't know, but they were installed in the fifty's. My designer has told me that's it's not friable so it's not an issue. Not sure if he's correct, but he pulled a bunch of it off himself. I know it can be disposed of in the landfill without any paperwork or restictions.

I've had asbestos covered pipes removed and I'm familiar with that procedure.
    That is correct. It can be pulled off and dumped. I had a house done in PA. I think it was only 400 bucks as it was only added to the siding bill.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

I think this is correct

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I do this, but you are a little far for me, sorry.

It's likely asbestos shingle. Safe enough to work with as long as it stays in one piece. No cutting, grinding, sanding, drilling, breaking or smashing.

Over here in Harford (which uses the Baltimore county landfill), it has to go into a dedicated dumpster, and there is an additional fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom