• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Is it legal for a Marylander to sell a complete AR Pistol to a person in Virginia?
    What are the steps?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It must be transferred by a VA FFL

You need to work out how to get it there.

Some FFL's will accept a private shipment. Some will not.

Call and find out. If no, have a MD FFL ship it to them for transfer.

Or drive it there.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I was wondering this myself, as I have several "restricted" rifles that I would like to sell off. Since those knuckleheads banned the transfer of said property in 2013, I was assuming that I would have to do the following:

1) Find a buyer in Virginia or another free state & work out the details and the deal with the buyer.
    2) Bring said rifle to a Maryland FFL willing to ship/transfer to an FFL in said free state.
    3) Buyer in free state fills out paperwork and takes home his new toy/tool.

I would welcome any additional comments or tips on this subject.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you can find an FFL in your buyer’s state who will accept a shipment from a private shipper, you can send it directly to the FFL in the buyer’s state and skip the MD FFL.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I was wondering this myself, as I have several "restricted" rifles that I would like to sell off. Since those knuckleheads banned the transfer of said property in 2013, I was assuming that I would have to do the following:

1) Find a buyer in Virginia or another free state & work out the details and the deal with the buyer.
    2) Bring said rifle to a Maryland FFL willing to ship/transfer to an FFL in said free state.

Do you have a list?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I'm also interested in a list. You can drop them off right at an FFL in VA, no shipping needed.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you can find an FFL in your buyer’s state who will accept a shipment from a private shipper, you can send it directly to the FFL in the buyer’s state and skip the MD FFL.

You can drop them off right at an FFL in VA, no shipping needed.

Are you all sure about this? How is Maryland going to know that I legally sold a restricted piece to a cleared buyer in Virginia?

Yes, I am looking to move a couple pieces legally and above board, but No, I don't want to get a call down the road from a Maryland official saying "You have XXX , serial number YYY. Cough it up" without me having legal proof that I legally moved it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Are you all sure about this? How is Maryland going to know that I legally sold a restricted piece to a cleared buyer in Virginia?

Yes, I am looking to move a couple pieces legally and above board, but No, I don't want to get a call down the road from a Maryland official saying "You have XXX , serial number YYY. Cough it up" without me having legal proof that I legally moved it.

MSP doesn’t need to know. The MSP database only tracks purchases not sales. I have sold several pistols to a friend in GA no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

No issue with that, but get a receipt from the receiving FFL if you're worried about it.

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo

You will get a receipt stating you transferred it to the VA FFL. VA FFL then transfers to the end buyer. Just keep the documentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom