• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am serious about getting a 30 Cal can for 300 Black and 5.56 AR SBR's in the 10.5 to 12.5" barrel length range. This would be for recreational/range shooting, not hunting. Money is no problem for a reasonable product, but I want something practical, not a status symbol.

The ability to suppress noise to me is paramount; size and weight is secondary. Also something that is reasonably easy to transition between a 5.56 and a 300 Black AR type rifle is a plus. I do not anticipate using this on a 308 Win at this point, however, and on this I am undecided, getting something that would be effective on a 308 caliber might be wise.

There seem to be a lot of choices out there. Any more resources for (forums, whatever), or advice, would be appreciated.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I have a YHM Phantom Ti that I use on the same setups you want to use it on and it does fine. It's a QD so swapping them back and forth is easy enough.

I also have a direct thread Thunder Beast that stays on my full size AR-10 and it also does a great job.

They are both hearing safe, to a point, in 5.56 and .308 with full power ammo. I wouldn't use them for extended range sessions but for a few rounds apiece, I can get by with no hearing protection.

.300Blk subs I can shoot out my attic window with no hearing protection.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have built a few of my own but also have a Silencerco Omega https://silencerco.com/omega-300 I have only great things to say about it. I’ve used it on my 300BO pistol, AR15 and 6.5 Creedmoor with excellent results.

This. I have the same can and I use it on my .308 RPR as well as multiple 5.56 AR’s. Easy to switch back and forth. Does both direct thread and quick mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I have a YHM Phantom Ti that I use on the same setups you want to use it on and it does fine. It's a QD so swapping them back and forth is easy enough.

I also have a direct thread Thunder Beast that stays on my full size AR-10 and it also does a great job.

They are both hearing safe, to a point, in 5.56 and .308 with full power ammo. I wouldn't use them for extended range sessions but for a few rounds apiece, I can get by with no hearing protection.

.300Blk subs I can shoot out my attic window with no hearing protection.

I have the same can and also have the same experience. The QD makes it easy to move it from platform to platform

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Whatever you buy, check the mounting system as part of the over all cost. Mounts are expensive, usually in the $100 range for each host. It like buying into a lens system for a camera. There are proprietary mounts (SiCo ASR) which limit you to that brand or buying adapters. There are "universal" mounts such as T51 as well. Do your research. You will get a ton of buy this can cause I own it.
    Look at Silencershop.com, silencertalk.com. Arfcom has a suppressor section as well.

I have used a few 30 cal cans on 300, 308 and 556. 300 will suppress very well with subsonic ammo. Suppressors on 556 and 308 will really reduce the muzzle blast and make the shooting experience a lot more comfortable. You will still need ear pro though. My kids love shooting 308 suppressed, but not so much un-suppresssed. Bolt actions will suppress much better, obviously. AR types/semi's will produce blowback in your face, but there are ways to mitigate that.

The biggest thing to consider, for me, was buy once, cry once. Don't cheap out. You will ultimately regret it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Do you plan on using adjustable gas blocks, particularly on 5.56? Are you willing to tune your firearms to run properly suppressed or not? Is weight and length is not a major consideration because you are willing to lug a heavy rifle around or because you're only shooting from a bench and static positions? Have you used suppressors before? Have you examined your expectations with supersonic center-fire ammo to make sure they are realistic? EG if you are expecting whisper quiet maybe forget suppressing 5.56, or if you are going to wear ear pro anyway to with a K can.

Full auto, rapid fire, slow fire semi auto use?

Without knowing more I would suggest Dead Air Nomad, Rugged Radiant, or getting a pair of YHM suppressors: Turbo or Turbo K and Resonator (I won't recommend the Resonator K until I have used one or seen real testing). All are great cans.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    More Info:

Do you plan on using adjustable gas blocks, particularly on 5.56? Yes to both; already installed.

Are you willing to tune your firearms to run properly suppressed or not? If you mean install heavier buffers/springs and adjust the gas block, yes.

Is weight and length is not a major consideration because you are willing to lug a heavy rifle around or because you're only shooting from a bench and static positions? Both. I do not anticipate lugging this around the woods. If I do hunt with a can, then I will get one dedicated for that purpose.

Have you used suppressors before? Yes - I have a light-weight rimfire can. Works great on a pistol. Kind of a so-what on a 22 LR rifle.

Have you examined your expectations with supersonic center-fire ammo to make sure they are realistic? EG if you are expecting whisper quiet maybe forget suppressing 5.56, or if you are going to wear ear pro anyway to with a K can. I expect that 300 Black with subs will not require hearing protection but all other use cases will. I am expecting a great reduction in noise that will take the edge off and reduce flash.

Full auto, rapid fire, slow fire semi auto use? Worst case; occasional semi-auto rapid fire.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    More Info:

Do you plan on using adjustable gas blocks, particularly on 5.56? Yes to both; already installed.

Are you willing to tune your firearms to run properly suppressed or not? If you mean install heavier buffers/springs and adjust the gas block, yes.

Is weight and length is not a major consideration because you are willing to lug a heavy rifle around or because you're only shooting from a bench and static positions? Both. I do not anticipate lugging this around the woods. If I do hunt with a can, then I will get one dedicated for that purpose.

Have you used suppressors before? Yes - I have a light-weight rimfire can. Works great on a pistol. Kind of a so-what on a 22 LR rifle.

Have you examined your expectations with supersonic center-fire ammo to make sure they are realistic? EG if you are expecting whisper quiet maybe forget suppressing 5.56, or if you are going to wear ear pro anyway to with a K can. I expect that 300 Black with subs will not require hearing protection but all other use cases will. I am expecting a great reduction in noise that will take the edge off and reduce flash.

Full auto, rapid fire, slow fire semi auto use? Worst case; occasional semi-auto rapid fire.
    Awesome! Sounds like you have very realistic expectations! I honestly think most any modern .30 cal can would work for you. The big thing in my opinion is don't get too wrapped around the axle on mount modularity. The Omega thread stuff is neat but not 100% necessary. If I were starting to buy cans right now I would pick a Rugged Radiant, Dead Air Nomad, or YHM Resonator R2 depending on whether I valued modular length, modular mounting systems, or budget more. Since you're willing to tune your gas systems/buffer/etc, all three will do what you want. Since you really want the .300blk to be whisper quiet subsonic, you could also look at the Q thunder Chicken or Full Nelson. It is longer than the trash panda but ridiculously quiet, and the baffles are somewhat more specialized for subsonic .300blk than the Nomad.

Bonus shout out to the Griffin Optimus but unless you ABSOLUTELY want the modularity it brings to the table, the other options will sound slightly better.

ETA the Silencerco 36M is probably one I'd consider too. I think that one is way more interesting than their other cans.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I went with the OSS Helix 30 cal. Still waiting on the stamp, but liked the minimal blow back and no need to adjust the gas. Got QD mounts for the 556 and 300 blk. Not the quietest, but seems to have the least impact on how the guns run. Worth looking at. I’ll give a review after I get the stamp.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    36M looks sweet. I run an Omega too. Only thing I can complain about is its big and I was a dipshit once and shot it not fully locked on to the asr mount. It survived the rocket ride just fine. Thank god I was at the range and not hunting in the woods. Would have been an expensive mistake.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Awesome! Sounds like you have very realistic expectations! I honestly think most any modern .30 cal can would work for you. The big thing in my opinion is don't get too wrapped around the axle on mount modularity. The Omega thread stuff is neat but not 100% necessary. If I were starting to buy cans right now I would pick a Rugged Radiant, Dead Air Nomad, or YHM Resonator R2 depending on whether I valued modular length, modular mounting systems, or budget more. Since you're willing to tune your gas systems/buffer/etc, all three will do what you want. Since you really want the .300blk to be whisper quiet subsonic, you could also look at the Q thunder Chicken or Full Nelson. It is longer than the trash panda but ridiculously quiet, and the baffles are somewhat more specialized for subsonic .300blk than the Nomad.

Bonus shout out to the Griffin Optimus but unless you ABSOLUTELY want the modularity it brings to the table, the other options will sound slightly better.

ETA the Silencerco 36M is probably one I'd consider too. I think that one is way more interesting than their other cans.

Just curious why you would suggest the nomad 30 over the sandman-s ? Don’t they essentially do the same thing?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just curious why you would suggest the nomad 30 over the sandman-s ? Don’t they essentially do the same thing?

From what little reading I have done ...

The Nomad 30 has the option of a direct thread mount option (in addition to the key mo module) which might be good if you have 30 Cal threaded bolt guns in addition to AR style rifles (which I do).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a couple of ThunderBeasts that work quite well.

They have muzzle brake and flash suppressor mounts. Not 1/4 quick attach, but quicker than direct thread.

TB are know for no POI shift. I shot my .308 to 1000 yards with the same data with and without the can.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Nomad can be run significantly lighter, has more mounting options, lighter weight mounting options, and per Dead Air is quieter - more in line with the Sandman L than S. The name literally suggests its purpose: a suppressor that wanders between various hosts and is a versatile, do all option.

I think the Sandman S is a great can if you want to be able to do full auto mag dumps or nest it under a rail. That durability comes at a price, as it is very heavy. Keymo muzzle devices are also fairly bulky and heavy. For that sort of thing I tend to favor the Rugged cans because of cost and mounts that I like better, but that is a personal choice and the Sandman S is pretty much the premier option in that category.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Rugged Suppressors.

Surge, Razor, Micro30 here. Surge and Micro30 are configurable. Between the three, I can easily balance size, weight, and suppression. All work great with both semi-auto and bolt.

If I felt like waiting another year, I would probably pick up a Radiant as well (very light due to Titanium construction).

What sold me on Rugged was their customer service. Razor was my first purchase right after they came out. First time at range, swapping hosts and did not have properly on mount. Bang, can goes 10 yards down range. 7PM at night. Call Rugged to leave message. They picked up the phone and by the time I got home, I had RMA paperwork and a shipping label (their cost) in my email. Repairs turned around in two weeks and they sent a new mount and end cap gratis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom