AGC Steel Challenge (Sunday January 5th)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thanks to the organizers and ROs for a better time than the weather forecast implied we’d have. It was fun!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Good show (and good folks), as always :clap: I thought the slightly reduced Stages of Madness were a great balance between Madness and safety on the iffy footing. We had 2 new (to action) shooters in my squad that I'm sure we'll see again.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Good show (and good folks), as always :clap: I thought the slightly reduced Stages of Madness were a great balance between Madness and safety on the iffy footing. We had 2 new (to action) shooters in my squad that I'm sure we'll see again.

Agree completely, another great match.

I slipped away to hit the head and on my way out a car stopped, the driver rolled down his window and asked what was going on? I told him and he said that it looked like fun and asked if the matches were open to the public and when the next one was going to occur?

Agree completely, another great match.

I slipped away to hit the head and on my way out a car stopped, the driver rolled down his window and asked what was going on? I told him and he said that it looked like fun and asked if the matches were open to the public and when the next one was going to occur?

I make a point to engage the people standing on the road and watching. The smiles on their faces when I say they can enter themselves is priceless.
    As stated previously by many of us, this is going to get BIG once the weather warms up.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Weather was cold and windy, but had a great time shooting! Had a great squad of guys who were safe and fun, and happy to help out with painting, resetting, etc. Had 2 new folks, and hopefully they learned a lot, and had fun! I have a feeling they'll be back. Everyone on the squad was welcoming and happy to give advice and help them out. That's what this stuff is about.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As stated previously by many of us, this is going to get BIG once the weather warms up.

Alas, the only thing that's going to get big is the Oklahoma Land Rush for event slots on Practiscore ... because, the event itself can't really get any bigger, can it? Or maybe just more often? I actually laughed out loud as I pulled up the drive to the range just after 8:00AM (after dodging loose horses on Marriotsville Road!) and found myself having to park down the hill below the first bay. That's a lot of happy, eager participants there bright and early on a crappy gray mud-day. Which is fantastic! I genuinely wonder where/how growth for this at AGC could actually happen.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I make a point to engage the people standing on the road and watching. The smiles on their faces when I say they can enter themselves is priceless.

How was work today? :tdown:

We need to come up with a plan for how to handle it when this "gets BIG." We had 50 shooters show up today and 14 of them shot two guns. That's 64 guns on a day when the weather was far less than desirable.

What do we do when it is 75 degrees and sunny and we have 100 people that want to shoot? We only have so much real estate, so in my mind that really only leaves us with a couple of options.

1. Run two matches per month (this would require someone else to run it as I have no time to do it).

2. Stop allowing a second gun during the summer months. Maybe allow 2nd gun "walk ins" if there is room at check in time . This would open up room for more shooters.

I am leaning towards #2, but it is a tough decision and I am open to ideas. Don't want to upset those who have been supporting us all winter, but it is important to get as many shooters involved as possible.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Alas, the only thing that's going to get big is the Oklahoma Land Rush for event slots on Practiscore ... because, the event itself can't really get any bigger, can it? Or maybe just more often? I actually laughed out loud as I pulled up the drive to the range just after 8:00AM (after dodging loose horses on Marriotsville Road!) and found myself having to park down the hill below the first bay. That's a lot of happy, eager participants there bright and early on a crappy gray mud-day. Which is fantastic! I genuinely wonder where/how growth for this at AGC could actually happen.

There were 69 guns signed up today. In early January.

The only way to make it bigger is to make that space beside Bay Six Bay Seven. Very doable.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    It's definitely going to fill up quick once it gets nice out!

DPFNG doesn't allow you to pre-register for the next month if you register and no show for the previous. That would be a good policy to replicate. Discourage no shows that would otherwise be an open spot. Other than that, I don't know. Good problem to have!

Can we use bay 1? It's not long, but adding a squad would add a ton of guns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    #2 is very reasonable, and I say that as a dude who shot two different guns this time around. I liked being able to burn it down with a PCC along with my CO gun, but if we've gotta make room for more people, it might just be one slot per person.

I am surprised you didn't consider using more bays... you'd need more ROs, but using bay 1 would have given you another set of shooters.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Incorporating some sort of additional fee?:innocent0

giphy.gif

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There were 69 guns signed up today. In early January.

The only way to make it bigger is to make that space beside Bay Six Bay Seven. Very doable.

I think that you mean the spot for archery.

Bay 1 is barely a bay, does it actually get used? Seems tiny.

Politically, eliminating the archery range is no bueno it would have to be moved. It does get used. To where?

One could move the archery to bay 1 and make a bigger badder bay 1. Or, another home for the archery range needs to be found.

Also, I know this will be controversial... but the fact is I think AGC will need to see some $$ from the matches before they authorize more hescos and dirt moving. Call it a very educated guess.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think that you mean the spot for archery.

Bay 1 is barely a bay, does it actually get used? Seems tiny.

Politically, eliminating the archery range is no bueno it would have to be moved. It does get used. To where?

One could move the archery to bay 1 and make a bigger badder bay 1. Or, another home for the archery range needs to be found.

Also, I know this will be controversial... but the fact is I think AGC will need to see some $$ from the matches before they authorize more hescos and dirt moving. Call it a very educated guess.

Got to use all that additional revenue from the guest passes for something.:innocent0

And seriously, why couldn't archery use a Bay Seven when matches weren't happening?

How was work today? :tdown: Douchewaffle :D

We need to come up with a plan for how to handle it when this "gets BIG." We had 50 shooters show up today and 14 of them shot two guns. That's 64 guns on a day when the weather was far less than desirable.

What do we do when it is 75 degrees and sunny and we have 100 people that want to shoot? We only have so much real estate, so in my mind that really only leaves us with a couple of options.

1. Run two matches per month (this would require someone else to run it as I have no time to do it).

2. Stop allowing a second gun during the summer months. Maybe allow 2nd gun "walk ins" if there is room at check in time . This would open up room for more shooters.

I am leaning towards #2, but it is a tough decision and I am open to ideas. Don't want to upset those who have been supporting us all winter, but it is important to get as many shooters involved as possible.

My 2 cents and take it for what its worth...
    My take is #2, combined with jacking up the price for non badge holders ($10 vs $30???). In the least, we should open registration to badge holders 48hrs prior to the general public. This will be a huge motivator to selling range badges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom