• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Who is using what molds for bullets and what successes or failures have you got with various twist rates?

I have a Lee real mold in 240 and 320 grains and they work fairly well in the 1:48 smoke pole. I still have to practice more with it and have cards and lubed wads to try under them. The inline with 1:28 twist they seem to drift and not very accurate.

I am looking for getting a new round or two to practice with. I will paper patch if needed but have no intentions of resizing bullets or buy the equipment to do so.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I did and the only response was paper patching bullets for the inline. I don't know much about paper patching but have watched Idahoron's video doing it and he resized bullets in a press and that is more than I want to deal with. I just figured someone is casting bullets for an inline with a quick twist and getting good groups.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    If you search for the Lee REAL mold, it gets pretty good reviews. I tried it once but the alloy I had on hand was too hard and made it tough to seat the bullet properly. I believe they recommend using pure lead.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I shoot REAL’s out of my CVA Optima in line. I dont know the twist rate off the top of my head, but the gun is zeroed at 50 yards and it will shoot the bulls yse and 10 ring out of the target.

I’m curious how they hold up at farther distances, but most of my black powder hunting is close in so i didnt spend the time going farther out.

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you search for the Lee REAL mold, it gets pretty good reviews. I tried it once but the alloy I had on hand was too hard and made it tough to seat the bullet properly. I believe they recommend using pure lead.

A former member here made mine, they literally need to be hammered in to get them started.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    A former member here made mine, they literally need to be hammered in to get them started.

That was my problem, I was trying them in a CVA Optima pistol and it was a little too awkward so I just went back to the power belts.

The molds are cheep enough that it was worth a try, I may give the another shot if I come across a deal on some pure lead.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have fiber egg carton tops I am going to try for over powder wads and some punched 1/8" lubed felt wads to try in the 1/28 twist. I don't have time to read all those threads right now. A few didn't apply to the quick twists like 1:28 as I guess most don't shoot hand casts bullets

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have fiber egg carton tops I am going to try for over powder wads and some punched 1/8" lubed felt wads to try in the 1/28 twist. I don't have time to read all those threads right now. A few didn't apply to the quick twists like 1:28 as I guess most don't shoot hand casts bullets

Are you using paper wads with your REAL slugs? I don't use them, I just dump my powder down the tube, lube a REAL slug with bore butter and pound it in.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Before last season I tried them and could hit a 10" gong with iron sights easy at 75 yards. The lube I tried pan lubing with clogged the gun and I just quit for a while. That was on the 1:48 twist gun and I have not tried dialing it in again until now wanting too. Is yours a 1:28 also and how is accuracy for you?

I let my buddy shoot some in his 1:28 gun and it was clearly drifting 4" at 50 yards. I have seen people swear you need card stock or lubed wads for accuracy with them, but in spring I will try them all at 50 yards and see.

Another question, is Pryodex dirty as hell? I can clean my 1:48 with 170 degree water in 30 seconds after black powder. I shot that 1:28 with pryodex only to empty it and I swear it took 20 patches and 10 minutes or more.

577Nitro

May 8, 2019
    Calvert County
    I have been reloading my own for many many years (since 1965), and have found nobody can beat the molds from Accurate molds LLC in utah. I shoot a lot of non-standard guns, (577NE, 10bore, 12bore, and so on) so I have quite frequently have had to have my molds made for...Give them a looksee..They produce what you ask them.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom