• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The wife and I are venturing up to Loch Raven Skeet and Trap on Sunday to give it a whirl for the first time.....anyone want to join us? Just shoot me a message. Don't worry if you don't have a shotgun...we're taking a .410 and a single shot 20ga. If you have an O/U or SxS, it would be fun to try.

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    good luck! I have a blast when ever I get a chance to shoot skeet, my siaga and my buddies 500 are what we use. Enjoy! its addicting...

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    dont try the .410 until you guys are hitting with the 20. 410 dont pattern very wide and take a lot of skill to use

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    dont try the .410 until you guys are hitting with the 20. 410 dont pattern very wide and take a lot of skill to use

I told my wife the very same thing....I told her if she wanted to shoot blindly into the air with no recoil, use the 410.....if she wanted to hit anything to use the 20ga.

I'd use a 12ga, but mine has a pistol grip and a 19" barrel. suppose I could put the wood stock on for skeet shooting.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I thought about renting as well.....I've been out there to look around a little once before.....I think it'll be a good time...I've been shooting at paper targets at Horst and McCann for a while and they are getting a little too pricey for me....with their range fees and ammo policy.....also, it's not much of a challenge shooting straight ahead at a paper target with a shotgun.

My wife stopped shooting because it was 20 dollars for a half hour range time for us both to shoot at H&M.....not counting targets, ammo....

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    My wife and I are looking for skeet shooting lessons. Can anyone recommend a place in central Maryland for absolute beginners? (we are near the Howard/Carrol county line - the closer, the better)
    Also, what is considered the best type of shotgun for beginner skeet shooting, 12 or 20 ga? Barrel length? Pump/Semiauto? We would want to rent the shotguns first, of course.
    thanks
    ________
    DYLAN125

Last edited:

wolf617

Aug 7, 2008
    Essex
    If you venture out to Loch Raven Skeet & Trap Club in Baltimore county, one of the employees, Terry , does instruction.
    When he taught me a coupla years ago, it was $50 for an hour. That's enough to give you the fundamentals and a little practice.
    The 1 problem with LRS&T though is that they don't have shotgun rentals.

Prince George's County Trap & Skeet has shotgun rentals and an excellent Sporting Clays instructor, Rhies (probably butchered the spelling, but it's pronounced REESE). He may also do skeet instruction.

Although it can be done, learning with a pump is not the easiest method. Stick to the semi or buy an inexpensive over/under (Stoeger Condor, Baikal). Once you learn the game and what you prefer, you can consider buying a higher priced SG if you want.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I second the recommendation for Rhys - took a "Learn to Shoot" class from him as well as the Skeet class. He was great! He also instructs on Trap and Sporting Clays - I think he is a level 3 instructor for SC. He has a website at www.ssshooting.com.

wolf617

Aug 7, 2008
    Essex
    One night last summer, a few of us from our car group took the sporting clays intro from Rhys. Everyone had a great time. One of the guys is the manager for a photography company and liked it so much that he brought his 9 year old son and 3 of his photographers back for a morale building kind of event .None of the photographers had even picked up a gun before and Rhys had them breaking clays pretty consistently. Rhys even had the son break his first clay presented to him with a kid-sized Remington single shot .410 .

ripper157

Feb 20, 2008
    Carroll County
    Sykesville,

Try AGC on Sundays. Not lessons but the people there are super friendly and help newbs. That’s where I went to learn. (Sundays is open to the public I believe for the trap) Also the Carroll County Gun Club is open to the public and is very close to you. This is their website link

http://www.carrollgun.com/index.htm

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Sykesville,

Try AGC on Sundays. Not lessons but the people there are super friendly and help newbs. That?s where I went to learn. (Sundays is open to the public I believe for the trap) Also the Carroll County Gun Club is open to the public and is very close to you. This is their website link

http://www.carrollgun.com/index.htm

Ripper- Thanks very much! I check out both.
    ________
    Ducati Sport 1000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom