• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Someone removed the text that I copied, so I have nothing more to say...
    Sgt Preston...
    USMC LLA...
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    The source of this info is hppt://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97lead.html

Last edited:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I won't go to Maryland Small Arms Range anymore because of their poor air ventilation system. After the last couple times I've gone I ended up having black boogers for two days and can actually taste the metals in my mouth after 15 minutes of shooting :sad20:

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    FreeState is a Brand New Facility. State of the art, every thing in the place is new and up to date. I like it so much there, I finally broke down and bought a membership.:thumbsup:

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston back again...

I apologize for not reading & following the RULES regarding copying external articles...

I first tried to copy the information as a "link", when that failed, I copied & pasted the information verbatim and in framed it in quotes...

I also listed the URL as source of the information...

I was simply trying to bring real & technical facts to this forum...

I don't think that I can paraphrase the article accurately enough...

Sorry..!

Sgt Preston USMC LLA

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    I won't go to Maryland Small Arms Range anymore because of their poor air ventilation system. After the last couple times I've gone I ended up having black boogers for two days and can actually taste the metals in my mouth after 15 minutes of shooting :sad20:

Funny I literally wear a face mask when I go there, I know I must look crazy to some but hey, the joke's not on me.

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Thank you Herr.Baer for fixing the link...

There is some valuable information in that article that shooters should know...

Sgt Preston USMC LLA

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    A few years ago, I attended the NRA's Range Development Conference and spoke to a number of range owners who said that they routinely test their employees for lead exposure. Its a big deal.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010

:omg:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SEG is temporarily forcing the use of lead-free ammo on some (all) of its ranges while they do some ventilation work. You don't screw around with ventilation in an indoor range.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks for the link to the article. How can you tell if an indoor range has good ventilation? Is there an inspection sticker that is supposed to be posted somewhere showing that the range meets minimum standards for ventilation? I would feel a little impolite to ask a range to tell me. On the other hand, I'd be the one to suffer if I don't ask. Would be nice if there was simply an inspection sticker or something similar that one could just look at to verify the most recent inspection, etc.

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston back again...

Quote "Thanks for the link to the article. How can you tell if an indoor range has good ventilation?"...

Good question...

I define good ventilation at an indoor range as a positive air flow from the firing line towards the target end of the range & where it exits the building...

One of the simple thinks that I look for is for the smoke from the gun to move away from my face & towards the target area...

You don't want to be standing in a cloud of smoke...

Most of the modern ranges that I am familiar with (Continental Arms, Freestate & Horst & McCann) in my opinion, all meet the criteria of having adequate positive ventilation...

When I have my annual physical each year, I have my Doc check the lead levels in my blood while he checks the rest of my blood work...

Hope this is helpful..!

Sgt Preston USMC LLA

Last edited:

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Many years ago I worked at an indoor range. I am not going to tell you where, because I don't think that would be fair to the owners. Besides, I still shoot there....No...not in Glen Burnie.
    One day, one of the owners sent me for a blood test. Until that day, I was the only person to clean the bullet trap.
    A couple days after the blood test, I received a call from the Maryland Health Department. It seems I had a high lead content in my blood. The person who called me wanted me to file some kind of report about it. I refused to do it because I knew if I did I would no longer have a job.
    I told two of the owners about the call. One of them got pissed off at me about it. I stood there thinking "you sent me for the test"! I had to swear to them I was not going to file any kind of report. After this incident, the one owner had it in for me.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Many years ago I worked at an indoor range. I am not going to tell you where, because I don't think that would be fair to the owners. Besides, I still shoot there....No...not in Glen Burnie.
    One day, one of the owners sent me for a blood test. Until that day, I was the only person to clean the bullet trap.
    A couple days after the blood test, I received a call from the Maryland Health Department. It seems I had a high lead content in my blood. The person who called me wanted me to file some kind of report about it. I refused to do it because I knew if I did I would no longer have a job.
    I told two of the owners about the call. One of them got pissed off at me about it. I stood there thinking "you sent me for the test"! I had to swear to them I was not going to file any kind of report. After this incident, the one owner had it in for me.

Wow...could you PM where this is so I don't patronize them? I've seen other ranges send their trap-monkeys out in full tyvex suits with respirators.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Yeah, it's a big deal. My great-uncle shot competitively at Camp Perry for years, practiced about 3 days a week at his local indoor range, and rolled his own rounds. Ended up getting throat cancer and a tracheotomy as a result. He still shoots, but now he uses an outdoor range and wears gloves when he reloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom