• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m signed up for the steel challenge. I never participated in one of these before. I’m running a stock Sig P320. One question I have is will 3 mags be enough or will I need more. See everyone on 3/1

You'll be more than fine for the standard Steel Challenge stages. If the match features or more Madness stages, you might be cutting it a little close if you have trouble with accuracy on some of the dicier (smaller) plates, or the moving stuff, like the Texas Star. If you're deliberate in your shooting, you'll be fine. But you'll be reloading mags between stages for sure.

Jbelt11

Sep 14, 2017
    Harford county
    Thanks I appreciate the info. Do you have any recommendations on a belt ? Also at the agc do you think a red dot or holographic sight is the best option or a variable scope like 1-4.5 or 1-6 ? Or is that strictly preference ?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    AGC doesn't have usually any rifle targets past about 75yds, and the smallest I've ever seen is an A-zone. A reflex sight is fine. I have a 1-6 LPVO and have never cranked it beyond about 4x - and that was on a stage with an A-zone surrounded by no-shoots, where I decided I really wanted to be precise. I am actually in the process of buying a Razor HD because I want the ability to crank it down to 1x and have a bright red dot to aim with. :)

Now, I say USUALLY because I know they are trying to reserve the 200yd range for some matches. You might see the distance open up a bit on those, and then your LPVO may start earning its keep.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    AGC doesn't have usually any rifle targets past about 75yds, and the smallest I've ever seen is an A-zone. A reflex sight is fine. I have a 1-6 LPVO and have never cranked it beyond about 4x - and that was on a stage with an A-zone surrounded by no-shoots, where I decided I really wanted to be precise. I am actually in the process of buying a Razor HD because I want the ability to crank it down to 1x and have a bright red dot to aim with. :)

Now, I say USUALLY because I know they are trying to reserve the 200yd range for some matches. You might see the distance open up a bit on those, and then your LPVO may start earning its keep.

Some of the practices for rifle on the 200 yd range have had targets as far as 175 yards IIRC. They were bigger (maybe 10" or 12") plates tho.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Some of the practices for rifle on the 200 yd range have had targets as far as 175 yards IIRC. They were bigger (maybe 10" or 12") plates tho.
    I mean, yeah, it's a thing that could happen. I'm not saying not to buy an LPVO, I'm just saying that for the matches that have been happening thus far, I would not consider it a requirement.

Jbelt11

Sep 14, 2017
    Harford county
    Ya that’s what I thought I am a member and have checked out the action range area just wasn’t sure if it would be better to buy a new optic for the rifle I want to use because right now I have a athlon helos 1-4.5. I really appreciate all the info I don’t have everything I need for the March match but I think I wanna come and spectate and maybe talk to a few people

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ya that’s what I thought I am a member and have checked out the action range area just wasn’t sure if it would be better to buy a new optic for the rifle I want to use because right now I have a athlon helos 1-4.5. I really appreciate all the info I don’t have everything I need for the March match but I think I wanna come and spectate and maybe talk to a few people
    Your optic is fine. Don't spectate, come and shoot. If you need gear, someone will lend it to you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks I appreciate the info. Do you have any recommendations on a belt ? Also at the agc do you think a red dot or holographic sight is the best option or a variable scope like 1-4.5 or 1-6 ? Or is that strictly preference ?

For the way they are set up now (3 gun at AGC), a red dot is fine. Did my first two gun match two weeks ago there and a red dot was more than adequate, even on A zone targets with no-shoot areas next to them. If they were to use the 200yd range, that would be different but I could probably still use the red dot and be ok.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have been looking at signing up for the March match. I had a couple questions if you wouldn’t mind answering the 3 gun competition setup I’m new too the action shooting community and not quite sure about the gear needed to be able to participate ?
    I have the firearms and everything just not quite sure about the rest ?

This is one of the most common questions that we get. I remember asking it myself and wish that someone would have helped to guide me. I would have saved a lot of money if they had.

It is important to understand that Action Shooting is not a poor mans sport and 3 Gun is the most expensive because it is so equipment intensive. Plan on spending at least $300 to get yourself a functional belt with 2 pistol and 2 rifle mag pouches, a holster, and a shotgun shell caddie.

Check out the attachment here. This is an example of a basic 3 Gun Rig, complete with part numbers and approximate prices. There are many other varieties out there, but the Safariland ELS system is the best (IMO) because of its modularity (ability to remove/replace/substitute components for different stages or even different types of matches).

Attachments

• Three Gun Rig Suggestions.xlsx
      13.6 KB · Views: 98

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Bring what you got and run it. You have all summer to spend money on things you are certain you need that you will soon learn wasn't necessary (ask me how I know).

I have been using my Red Dot for the past year, but have decided to pull out my Razor HD and get used to it since we will have several matches with 200 yard stages this season. Red Dots are touch at 200 yards, but no impossible, and there wont be too many targets at that distance.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just got back from punching paper at 7, 10, and 12 yards while Mrs Occam preps for her inaugural steel challenge.

[driving slowly across the Legion Bridge]

ME: “That was fun. Nice shooting.”

HER: “If you really loved me we’d have our own back yard range.”

ME:

HER: “Are you CRYING?”

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just got back from punching paper at 7, 10, and 12 yards while Mrs Occam preps for her inaugural steel challenge.

ME:

Lol. I get it man, I get it...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

ME:

She's a keeper.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Sent this out to all shooters this morning. This does not mean that it is too late to sign up. The withdrawals will start coming in today and will steam roll on Saturday. Get on the wait list and I am sure we can find a spot for you by Sunday.

Good morning Shooters,

With the exception of some rain today/tomorrow, it appears as if things will be pretty dry for this weekend's match. As expected, this event has grown in popularity and it filled up very quickly. As a result, we now have a waitlist of about 11 guns (8 individual shooters).

If something has come up and you are no longer able to make it this Sunday, then please withdraw as soon as possible so that we can get the waitlisted folks assigned to a squad and do our best to keep the squads balanced. It is understood that life happens to all of us sometimes and those types of things are excusable if they do not become habitual. That said, multiple last minute withdrawals tend to upset the apple cart and have the potential to cause a disturbance in the force (and nobody likes to disturb that).

Hope everyone has a great week and are able to get in as much dry firing as possible.

See you Sunday.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Stages all set up and ready for tomorrow morning. One of the Stages of Madness has a wrinkle to it that I will bet causes a procedural or two if you're not paying attention.

This is going to be a good one....:D

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hey, now. I’m not only bringing a first timer, but I’m married to her. Hopefully the Madness won’t require couples therapy later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom