• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    What blows my mind is how anyone can shoot the 2x4. Regardless which side is facing.
    I know skinny side facing provides stronger support.

Projectiles striking the 2x4s is not what does them in. Rather it is the downward splatter from the bullet after it hits the target face. It cuts the 2x4 clean in half a few hundred rounds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Projectiles striking the 2x4s is not what does them in. Rather it is the downward splatter from the bullet after it hits the target face. It cuts the 2x4 clean in half a few hundred rounds.
    All my spalling spreads away from the face.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

We had some scouts out today. I now have 3 holes through the 2x4 right in the splatter. It was at 100 yards. I think it was the M1 carbine. It was the first time most had used M1 sites. The board is toast.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Just got my steel certification today and bought one of the 12” kits from AGC, thinking about keeping a spare 2x4 with me just in case from reading this.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Just got my steel certification today and bought one of the 12” kits from AGC, thinking about keeping a spare 2x4 with me just in case from reading this.

Do indeed keep a spare 2x4. Also, a rag or a glove isn't a bad idea for handling purposes either. The lead and the copper spall that will inbed itself in the 2x4 is sharp!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I almost bought some steel today (did get the cert!), but apparently they don't sell stands? I was going to do some reduced range work with a 22lr (and my kid).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I almost bought some steel today (did get the cert!), but apparently they don't sell stands? I was going to do some reduced range work with a 22lr (and my kid).

We do not sell stands. You do not even want to know what one of those costs. I will PM you with a possible solution.

What size target are you interested in?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

I’ve still got my yellow squirrel for .22’s from 10yrs ago the AGC sold me.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    We do not sell stands. You do not even want to know what one of those costs. I will PM you with a possible solution.

What size target are you interested in?

I’m considering building another type as well that fits within the guidelines- looking for one for reduced range pistol caliber carbine at the 52yd point- appreciate any designs or options you can share.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    There are bunch of steel target stands on Amazon. I ordered on the sticks in the ground and holds the 2x5. I think it like $30.

Does the AGC still sell the folding target stands?

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    if hi jacking thread, I can create new one but looks like have gone off topic a little so here goes. I am steel certified and bought a hanger, target and stand. I wanted to use on 50 yard range with 9mm and 40 pistols. I have shot at a club sponsored event before and they had steel at 15-20 yard range and not in the designated lanes. But online manual says have to use 53-58 using the brackets at 24 yards. Is that correct? Do clubs get exemption? At IDPA matches at AGC definitely shoot steel at closer range. also wanted to have kids shoot 22 at it-think the "ding" makes it a little more interesting for them. But shooting at 24 yards is kinda far for them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Clubs get exemptions, yes. The thing you need to remember is that spalling is real, and the dudes in the lanes next to you didn't sign up for that. I've gotten smacked with 9mm spalling at surprising distances when action shooting. Even saw a dude get cut up pretty good once, albeit he was the shooter.

Banging steel at 30 with a rimfire rifled zeroed at 25 isn't so hard to do for most new shooters, though... just need a big enough target.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    I was thinking more of kids shooting 22 pistol. My 8" round steel may be hard for them at 24 yards. yeh, the 22 rifle with scope should be no problem for them at 30 yards off bench. The wording in exemptions is a little confusing. one place says only 22 can be shot at less than 100 yards. then next item says pistol caliber long guns and pistols can be shot at 52 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom