• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I gave up my C&R awhile back, I'd jump on these if I still had it.

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Emailed today to tell me they had sent my issue to their shipping manager

I really hope it works out for you and they make it right. Mine came in last Friday and looks the same as MilsurpDan described. Looks like it was refurbed, oiled up, then stored for however many years. Really great condition. No rust that I cold see and all matching numbers. For me it turned out to be a great purchase

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    My Type 54 is covered in a thin layer of what looks like cosmoline. I tried rubbing it down with Hoppe's but it didnt seem to take much off.

Any solvents that will remove cosmoline but not the paint? Or should I try boiling water?

M0rr8ym.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    My Type 54 is covered in a thin layer of what looks like cosmoline. I tried rubbing it down with Hoppe's but it didnt seem to take much off.

Any solvents that will remove cosmoline but not the paint? Or should I try boiling water?

M0rr8ym.jpg

Boiling water does work the best as long as you dry and oil afterwards. I did this with many Russian Surplus Rifles and handguns piece by piece.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

M0rr8ym.jpg

Take the grip panels off and anything else with plastic (guide rod? Can’t remember if these are all metal guide rods or if there is some plastic in them) and then toss it in the oven at about 170-200F for a few hours. That’ll melt it all off. Put a baking sheet under it or put it on one

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Take the grip panels off and anything else with plastic (guide rod? Can’t remember if these are all metal guide rods or if there is some plastic in them) and then toss it in the oven at about 170-200F for a few hours. That’ll melt it all off. Put a baking sheet under it or put it on one

Does make the house smell like Mother Russia when doing this I’ll say...

Jul 1, 2012
    Make sure to pull the firing pin out and get the tunnel nice and squeaky clean.
    And a good opportunity to check that it's straight and intact.
    Not knowing the origin/history of these, I'd also install a complete Wolff Service Pak spring kit before shooting it.

I'd be looking for a stock trigger too :)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Update

RGuns sent me a label to return the pistol with no fuss. I told them I'd accept refund or exchange. Evidently they chose exchange as I just got a tracking number for another package.

They were less than prompt with emails but in the end it got handled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom