• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm looking at buying an inexpensive .22 pistol just to have some fun at the range for a little less money. I'm looking at the Phoenix hp22 or maybe the Taurus pt-22. Like to get some feedback from some people who have experience with these or similar firearms, I'm also open to suggestions for other similar inexpensive .22 pistols.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. It is one of the best values ever. My S&W 22a is a switch barrel wonder with scoped/red dotted and match sighted barrels all for about $650.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I have a Phoenix HP22. It's complete garbage, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone. It seemed to jam a lot and the firing pin broke on it after about 200 rounds. I've never got around to repairing it because I never really considered it worth the effort. Crappy trigger, terrible safeties and mediocre accuracy even with the long barrel kit.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I bought an HP 22 (the high dollar "Target Model)back on the late 90's. NIB from a shop in NM $119.00

i didn't even make it through one mag before a piece of metal (looks like a paperclip) popped out between the slide and frame.

This is the biggest POS I have ever bought and the only reason that I bought it was to be the first customer of the guys shop.

If I could have, I would have taken this over to PG county last week for the cash for guns deal..

Pony up the ducats for a good .22. You will have it for many years and will be happy with it too.

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I'm going to make this simple for you !
    If you buy the SW 22a pistol, I'll give you the two magazines pictured below. I was going to Karma out the various accessories I no longer use, but since you asked what is the best all around 22lr pistol for the money, I say SW 22a.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
      IMG_0279.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 381

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I have the ruger mk iii 22/45, and I love it. Bought it for around 260ish, and it's been as reliable as a wood burning stove. 2400 hundred rounds through it so far, with not a jam to speak of.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Don't get a 22A. I loved mine up until it two pieced itself and then in my research I found others! The aluminum frame is the heel like the slide on a P22. My 22A is at S&W still waiting to see what my replacment options are. If they let me get something else paying the difference I'm going revolver.

I bought a Ruger Mark III Target two days after sending off my 22A. It's a tank! All Stainless, accurate and you can really customize it plus add a rail (included) and red-dot.

It is so much better than the others in many ways and $430 I think is what I paid shipped through Bud's. I started with a P22 (garbage), 22A (rolling the dice) and then this. I should have just spent a little more in the beginning and thought about construction more!
    432080_353559658057629_1563682650_n.jpg

185051_453415821348539_879719433_n.jpg

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I've also got a Rough Rider, and as long as you don't care about the finish you can't beat it for value. Only $220 ($260 with adjustable sights), you get a .22 mag cylinder as well, accurate enough for plinking and short distance pest control (not a tack driver), and since its a revolver no worrys about cycling. I've shot mags, lr, shorts, shotshells, subsonic, etc.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    .22 is always one of the hardest items to find in a reliable auto. If you are set on an auto I would go with

Ruger Mk III or earlier, love mine havent shot it yet.

If a revolver is ok you could snag the Heritage guns cheap, they sometimes are hit or miss but generally ok. Or a used H&R.

What autos do you have? Have you considered a .22 conversion kit? They are a great training aid as you get to practice with something that is more or less the same weight and feel as your service pistol. I have a 226 set up for .22 and it is dead nuts accurate and reliable on most ammo (one mag is a bit of a pain but I think thats a spring issue). Plus you can order the Sig 226 "classic" .22 for around $500 and slap a centerfire kit on it and have both for less than the price of going the other way around.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    a Phoenix hp22 will self destruct on you. you have been warned.:smack:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    a Phoenix hp22 will self destruct on you. you have been warned.:smack:

This ^^^

Ruger MK I, II, or III is the way to go. With Browning Buckmark as a second. With the auto .22's, I'd stay with the previously mentioned Rugers as they hold up very well; I use them in my NRA Handgun Classes. The old High Standards were great guns if you want to spend some bucks.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I'm going to make this simple for you !
    If you buy the SW 22a pistol, I'll give you the two magazines pictured below. I was going to Karma out the various accessories I no longer use, but since you asked what is the best all around 22lr pistol for the money, I say SW 22a.

That is mighty nice of you.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have an HP22 that I bought in 1992. It bhas somewhere in excess of 5K rounds thru it. The only time it jams or FTE is when I shopot federal .22lr thru it. I clean it and it is fine. Runs well on winchester and remington rounds.

I also picked up a Browning Buckmark and put a reflex sight on it. It is a tack driver.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    This ^^^

Ruger MK I, II, or III is the way to go. With Browning Buckmark as a second. With the auto .22's, I'd stay with the previously mentioned Rugers as they hold up very well; I use them in my NRA Handgun Classes. The old High Standards were great guns if you want to spend some bucks.

This!! Lou save me a lot of typing. I like the Ruger 22/45 as well.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I have an HP22 that I bought in 1992. It bhas somewhere in excess of 5K rounds thru it. The only time it jams or FTE is when I shopot federal .22lr thru it. I clean it and it is fine. Runs well on winchester and remington rounds.

I also picked up a Browning Buckmark and put a reflex sight on it. It is a tack driver.

So you're the guy that bought "the one" that works. Need any more mags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom