• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    3fe45a33d5b55144e7d4e97f7e698e44.jpg

Found this stand on the end of the property I just moved into. The house was built in 2006. Anyone hazard to guess how long that has been up there?
    Previous owner knew it was there. They were not hunters.
    Original builders of the house took ownership in 2003 but did not build until 2006

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I never trust 'found' stands. Screw in steps? Support cables are only good for so many years. Your life is worth more than a free treestand. My 2¢

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    I personally would take it down, a stand will look the same for years. Difficult to tell how long its' been there.

But, if you leave it up, you're almost inviting the person ( s ) who put it up to hunt back anytime.

Take it down and screw yourself a "private property " sing on the same tree the stand was on.

That should give them a hint if they decide to trespass.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was curious how long it would have to be there for the tree to grow around it like that.
    No, I was not asking what to do with it. No I won't be using it.
    Its actually pointed towards my neighbor's property on the other end of a creek that runs through the edge of my property.
    Only been moved in for 1 week now. I have yet to talk to the neighbor who would know a backstory.
    I have my hunting tree picked out already and was not planning to ask to hunt the neighbors land. He may already have people who hunt it. Not sure yet.

Cutting it down may be a good idea but its low on the list of things I need to do.
    I plan to be harmonious with my neighbors. Previous owner had a good relationship and used some of his land for other stuff.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was curious how long it would have to be there for the tree to grow around it like that.
    No, I was not asking what to do with it. No I won't be using it.
    Its actually pointed towards my neighbor's property on the other end of a creek that runs through the edge of my property.
    Only been moved in for 1 week now. I have yet to talk to the neighbor who would know a backstory.
    I have my hunting tree picked out already and was not planning to ask to hunt the neighbors land. He may already have people who hunt it. Not sure yet.

Cutting it down may be a good idea but its low on the list of things I need to do.
    I plan to be harmonious with my neighbors. Previous owner had a good relationship and used some of his land for other stuff.

Now that I'm seeing it on my computer and not my cell phone, I see what you were asking. My guess would be 12-16 years(depending on the type of tree). Though the tree is partially girted, the tree will absorb it and keep on growing.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For the sake of your chainsaw remember which tree is was if you remove it because there are probably some nasty metal surprises hiding inside that tree.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    It doesn't look rusty. Not sure how, short of a hacksaw you will be able to get it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom