• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, I took out my recent "DDLES 9mm Glock lower + PSA Hybrid upper" build to AGC the other day for test-firing, and had some issues with case-head separation. One possibility is that it's because I was using Freedom Munitions ammo, which sometimes uses so-so cases... but I've never actually seen it happen in any of my other 9mm blowback carbines, to include another 9mm AR-15. The other possibility I can think of is that extraction is happening too quickly (which might be exacerbated by FM's cases, I guess).

This particular build is using a good 9mm heavy buffer (8.5 or 9oz, I forget) that's the appropriate length. Assuming this is an "extraction too fast" issue, are there any heavier springs I should try that people can recommend?

Also, if anyone's got any tricks to dig out the half case that's left in my chamber, I'd appreciate it. :) No one makes a 9mm broken shell extractor for some reason...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have experienced head separation issues with that ammo. Cerrosafe is what I use to remove to remove head separations from Chambers.

As far as springs, use a tubb flat wire spring for a .308 for blocback 9mm's.

Headspace could be off as well.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Have you tried dropping an unfired round into the chamber to see if the round full seats and falls out of the chamber freely? If you have to jam the round in (which you may not notice because the bolt is closing with force) then you may have a headspacing or chamber issue on the barrel.

Are you flattening primers or the cases showing other indications of over pressure?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have experienced head separation issues with that ammo. Cerrosafe is what I use to remove to remove head separations from Chambers.
    I had sort of hoped to avoid Cerrosafe, but it doesn't look that hard to use. If I can't use a cleaning brush to get it out, that's the next step, I imagine.

As far as springs, use a tubb flat wire spring for a .308 for blocback 9mm's.
    I'm on it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Headspace could be off as well.
    Definitely possible, knowing PSA. I'll hunt up some gauges... I've got so many 9mm handguns and rifles that I probably owe it to myself to check them out.

Have you tried dropping an unfired round into the chamber to see if the round full seats and falls out of the chamber freely? If you have to jam the round in (which you may not notice because the bolt is closing with force) then you may have a headspacing or chamber issue on the barrel.

Are you flattening primers or the cases showing other indications of over pressure?
    I had been using a laser trainer cartridge in the chamber with no problems, so I don't think it's a tight chamber. Fired primers looked pretty normal to me, no overpressure signs that I noticed.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Trust me if you are using a PSA 9mm barrel it will not like ammo that is over 1.13" OAL. Anything longer can get stuck in the rifling and pull the round apart when clearing the chamber manually. I followed some advise and bought a throat reamer from Brownell's and cut the rifling farther down into the barrel. Still working on how long an OAL I want to cover.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Cerrosafe is for other stuff...

Try this:
    Push a .40 brush up into the cartridge case until the bristles are fully inside the broken section of 9mm. Unscrew the rod, leaving the brush in the case. Put a jag on the rod tip and now go in from the other end and push the case out from the muzzle.

The oversize brush will not reverse inside the broken case, giving you something to push against...

If you can't get the case out, the .40 brush will drive on up the bore, but I have used this trick 15-20 times with great success.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Try this:
    Push a .40 brush up into the cartridge case until the bristles are fully inside the broken section of 9mm. Unscrew the rod, leaving the brush in the case. Put a jag on the rod tip and now go in from the other end and push the case out from the muzzle.

The oversize brush will not reverse inside the broken case, giving you something to push against...

If you can't get the case out, the .40 brush will drive on up the bore, but I have used this trick 15-20 times with great success.

I'm gonna remember that one and pray I never have to use it. Thanks for the tip Ed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Try this:

I just used the .40 brush and it came right out. Apparently it wasn't stuck too badly. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    New wrinkle: When I tried to install my new Tubbs 308 spring in this 9mm AR-15 with carbine-length buffer tube, it didn't seem to fit. It seemed to compress itself fully before it went all the way in. Do I need to trim the coils?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    New wrinkle: When I tried to install my new Tubbs 308 spring in this 9mm AR-15 with carbine-length buffer tube, it didn't seem to fit. It seemed to compress itself fully before it went all the way in. Do I need to trim the coils?

Something is off. The .308 flat wire spring is shorter when compressed to solid height than a standard carbine spring.

Perhaps the diameter of the buffer is binding on the hole in the tubb spring? Sometimes the buffer pad roll pin can be the cause

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Something is off. The .308 flat wire spring is shorter when compressed to solid height than a standard carbine spring.

Perhaps the diameter of the buffer is binding on the hole in the tubb spring? Sometimes the buffer pad roll pin can be the cause

Mine went right into my short(carbine length) pistol tube without problems. Two different ones as a matter of fact. Something is rotten in Demark.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Odd. I'll screw with it more tonight and tomorrow.

EDIT: Got it in. Just required more elbow grease than I expected.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Final update: I took my upgraded rifle (new buffer spring, new ejector) out to the range yesterday to function-test and zero it. No issues (other than discovering Magpul Glock mags don't lock in without pounding them in). Made sure to use IMI 115gr exclusively, so I guess either better ammo or the 308 buffer spring did the trick. Many thanks to everyone for their advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom