• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    My father in law is giving me his kayak as soon as I get set up to store it. I've also been wanting to get back into camping--only ever did overnights near home with friends as a kid.

The Patuxent River Water Trail seems to be a good fit, on paper, for doing a 3-day trip from the Bowie area down to the Lusby-ish area--where my father in law lives. I could get dropped off and launch on a Friday and be picked up Sunday down near my father in law's.

Has anyone camped the water access only sites on the Patuxent?

After I get a few daytrips done with the yak and a couple overnights to get the camping setup tested, does 15ish miles per day sound reasonable for a beginner trip? From my reading that seems like a leisurely pace to allow time to setup camp and fish or sightsee along the way.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Don't know about the Patuxent, but keep in mind that there are large sections of the upper Potomac that are runnable for a beginner (at normal flows). The entire Maryland side from Cumberland to DC is the C&O Canal National Park with lots of campsites available. As a Scout we floated from Cumberland to Hancock (~50 miles), just some riffles, no major whitewater. The run from Paw Paw to Little Orleans is also very fun.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I haven't paddled that whole route, but am interested to hear about camping experiences along there at the water-access-only sites.

If you haven't already, get your route and campsite info from here: http://patuxentwatertrail.org/

Some of the narrower parts of the Patuxent north and south of Bowie have been blocked by downed trees in years past, requiring an inconvenient muddy portage around if you were dedicated enough.
    Be sure to call the parks number (whatever one you call for car launch gate codes) to ask if there are known/reported blockages.

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    514edb9f-d975-4cbf-8936-06db513239e7_zpsmith33kd.jpg

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    There's a campground off Rt 4 E/S on Sands road. They used to have both RV/tent and primitive sites. You could probably find a spot along the river nearby to put in at. Years ago I rental canoed the Jug Bay area, should do it again, some nice fishing.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    The tides could be tricky. Might want to check that pre-trip. From Waysons bridge south is all tidal. And if your camping watch out for the brown water snakes. They always seem to bite me.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    From Waysons bridge south is all tidal.

Also once you get near Chalk Point where the river widens out the wind can fight you pretty good.
    My scout troop was planning to do Bowie to Solomons last year.
    After the test paddle in that area, they switched to the Shenandoah.

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    Awesome advice in here!

I did see a report about water flow needing to be high enough to make the trip at certain parts near Bowie. Farther down it looks less dodgy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There's a campground off Rt 4 E/S on Sands road. They used to have both RV/tent and primitive sites. You could probably find a spot along the river nearby to put in at. Years ago I rental canoed the Jug Bay area, should do it again, some nice fishing.

Sands road is a good hike from the Pax and route 4 especially dragging a kayak. There is a pier there though, tailor made for canoes but I don't think I'd camp there. I don't know if they allow camping in Jug Bay on the PGCo side but that's just a little further down river. Jug Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is on the AACo side but it's private and closed at dark.

Good advice about the dead falls. I read of one guy who carried a bow saw with him for cutting through thinner ones.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    True that, but I wasn't thinking he was going to carry the thing from camp.
    They make car top carriers and parking spaces.
    :P

Do they make kayak top carriers for cars? Because he said he was putting in in Bowie.

:P

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    An inflatable car packed in the dry well :P

The Patuxent Water Trail website lists 4 camp sites, so hopefully they are decent.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Did you do this trip? I'd like to hear how it went.

I normally do inland rivers (Potomac, James, Rappanhanock, Sesquahanna, ect) but I'm interested in this trip. Update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom