• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    Public auditor here, contemplating suicide every January - April. Any recommendations of next steps career-wise?

:D

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Public auditor here, contemplating suicide every January - April. Any recommendations of next steps career-wise?

:D

Working in audit at a CPA firm is great experience, so use it to your advantage. Your time spent in public accounting will give you the opportunity to learn which companies and industries are of interest to you. I worked as an auditor in public accounting for seven years and then switched over to the private side working as a controller and CFO for the past twenty four years in the shipping and construction industries. I actually enjoyed my time as an auditor and would repeat that part of my career if I was starting over again. By the same token I don't regret leaving the public side for the private side, as I find it more rewarding both professionally and financially. When I'm hiring senior accountants they won't get an interview without 2 to 5 five years of experience at a CPA firm. It sounds like you're building a great resume, so hang in there and the rewards will come.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    As one of my first bosses said, a good debit credit man is never out of work for long. Public accounting is a good training ground and one of the career paths to the CFO office. There are a lot of areas of accounting, you have to think about what you like to do. Auditing is different than running an accounting department and doing the books for a company. If you like audit and tax work then go for being a partner in a CPA firm. If you want to go the controller/CFO route, then you'll need to be able to close the books in your sleep because the real job is using the numbers to drive the business forward. Your bonuses will likely be tied to company profits so you'll want to be able to tell where the winners and losers are. Most importantly whether you're a CPA firm partner or a CFO, its your skills in dealing with people that will get you ahead. Selling, negotiating and conflict resolution skills are as important as technical skills if not more the higher up the chain you go.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Another pet peeve about QB. When entering in payments the progression is:

Received From
    From Account
    Memo
    Check Number
    Payment Method (and drop down box for Cash, Check, CC, etc...)
    Amount

:sad20:

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    My favorite gripe for QB for today is :

Why in the world can this software not remember the way I scan bills/invoices into the software. It recalls the last profile, but always asks me the source and if I want to preview.

I know it is just the way it is, but c'mon. I do the same thing over and over.

DadOSix - out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom