Please help me troubleshoot my ARs FTF issue!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Looking at the pic of the bolt face, is that a broken firing pin tip I see?

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    Take the bolt out of the bolt carrier group and make sure those 3 split washers don't have the splits all lined up. Ideally they should be 120 degrees opposed of one another.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Take the bolt out of the bolt carrier group and make sure those 3 split washers don't have the splits all lined up. Ideally they should be 120 degrees opposed of one another.

Should still work fine. Should work with just one in there, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Extra power extractor springs can cause issues, but I doubt this is related.

What other ammo have you fired and seen this issue with the gun? I only ask because PMC and Steel Cased ammo are generally the worst offenders with AR reliability.

Others have brought up good points, but it is hard to say what it the actual issue, it could be undergassing or overgassing. The Gas Key could be loose or have broken Bolts, or the Gas Rings could be the cause. Are you using 1 piece rings?

I've had the same results with both Wolf 55 gr FMJ and Herters 55 gr HP.

They are the only ammo I have right now.

I am using standard gas rings.

I've not checked the gas rings yet. - For the gas ring test, I've seen different things but my understanding is that I take the cam pin out hold the BCG up and see if the bolt falls out or not. Please correct me if that is now how you do it. I'll check them next.

I havent checked the bolts but here is what the gas key looks like:

1zqd6bo.jpg

bbkvl.jpg

Also, I am using standard PSA BCG

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks good, but they could be broken or not torqued right which can cause gas to leak. The only way to test it is to use a inch pounds torque wrench on the reverse setting. If it moves at 20 in/lb its broken or not torqued right, 50 in/lb is the max for reverse torque checks. Staying at 20 is the minimum.

Do not worry about the staggered rings, as outrider58 said, it will run on one ring if its setup right, and the rings wont stay lined up long even if you do line them up.

Your ring test is GTG.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Looks good, but they could be broken or not torqued right which can cause gas to leak. The only way to test it is to use a inch pounds torque wrench on the reverse setting. If it moves at 20 in/lb its broken or not torqued right, 50 in/lb is the max for reverse torque checks. Staying at 20 is the minimum.

Do not worry about the staggered rings, as outrider58 said, it will run on one ring if its setup right, and the rings wont stay lined up long even if you do line them up.

Your ring test is GTG.

ok thanks. can i do that with a Wheeler FAT wrench? I've been meaning to get one of those anyway...

Anything else I could narrow this down to or check?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ok thanks. can i do that with a Wheeler FAT wrench? I've been meaning to get one of those anyway...

Anything else I could narrow this down to or check?

FAT wrench only goes righty-tighty. not reverse. You'll need standard inch/lbs torque wrench for reverse testing.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I had the same problem today with a new BCG in my 300 blk build. Switched BCG's with another AR that I was having no trouble with and I had and no problems. Took the offending BCG and put it in the AR which was functioning fine and that rifle started not ejecting brass and double feeding. So, I am sure my problem is somewhere in my BCG.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Extra power extractor springs can cause issues, but I doubt this is related.

What other ammo have you fired and seen this issue with the gun? I only ask because PMC and Steel Cased ammo are generally the worst offenders with AR reliability.

Others have brought up good points, but it is hard to say what it the actual issue, it could be undergassing or overgassing. The Gas Key could be loose or have broken Bolts, or the Gas Rings could be the cause. Are you using 1 piece rings?

Same thought I had about the ammo. PMC didn't shoot well out of the rifle I mentioned either. But Winchester, PPU, and Federal shot great out of it with no issues. I eventually sold the upper because I only wanted one that ate everything I threw I to it. I solved the problem with a few Colts.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I just want to update this to say I made an initial mistake. The ammo I was primarily using was not Wolf. I had been using Tul. I don't know if this is a huge issue or a non-issue but thought I'd update in case.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I just want to update this to say I made an initial mistake. The ammo I was primarily using was not Wolf. I had been using Tul. I don't know if this is a huge issue or a non-issue but thought I'd update in case.

last time I checked wolf was made in tula factory. so basically the same animal

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ya i figured... I just really wanted ot get this figured out... really irks me that the gun is not reliable.

Know anyone close with a bcg you could throw into your rifle for testing? There so many things that could be causing your problems. Time to start eliminating some...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Why replace the mag spring???? Is it possible the gas block is slightly out of alignment?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I would switch back tot he magpul springs in the mag, they are pretty reliable. and I would switch to a nice reliable round like some lake city 5.56 or winchester or remington. Do you have a pic of the upper?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Tubb mag springs keep a more constant load and are an improvement.

True but getting back to basics on the FTF, if it feeds correctly with the magpul spring but not the tubbs, just trying to remove as many free variables to narrow down the issue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just by switching uppers, lowers, and BCGs would really help to narrow things down. What say you, BigM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom