Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM #1

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

a real threat

I got thinking about something as I perused the boards here and over lunch today this thread started to take shape in my brain. I have a question for our assembled masses, what are you doing to further gun rights here in Maryland? Not what are we as mdshooters, or we as the NRA or the GOA or even we as Maryland Shall Issue (MSI), but you as in the person reading this thread, what are you doing?

You see, I read a lot of threads and posts here about our rights, localy and nationaly. I see a lot of people that get all worked up about the selections Barack Obama has made for his cabinet and his anti-gun background. Even worse, I see a lot of people getting spun up about the activities of the police or the military or some blue helmeted storm troopers in black helicoptors coming to take away our rights! I've got a thought for you folks, there is indeed a threat and it is very real.

You see, here in Maryland, we as gun owners are second class citizens thanks largly to the work of the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Commitee, Sen Brian Frosh. Sen Frosh thinks that we're nuts. Those are his exact words. Problem is, bills that favor our cause such as a clear Castle Doctrine statute or a CCW bill, have to pass through his committee and he doesn't like them, so they die, in his committee without a vote.

We talk about Obama and his gun grabbing ways, but here's the truth. Presidents don't write legislation, Congress does. Furthermore, Obama isn't even in office yet, he hasn't done anything yet. Do I trust him, hell no, but he's not the current problem. The current problem is about to begin it's legislative session in Annapolis and we need to be active. Do you think your delegates and senators know how you feel about MD's gun laws? Have you taken the time to tell them? Have you ever sent them a letter, or called the office or even stopped in to chat with the staff? Do you know how to set up a meeting to speak with the staff? Can you afford to send $5.00 to your local pro-gun delegate and tell them that's so they can keep fighting for us? Can you spare 5 minutes, 5 minutes, you'll spend more reading this, can you spend 5 minutes to send a polite e-mail to the local anti-gun pol and explain why you won't donate to them? Can you take a few minutes to even figure out whether your locals support your rights or not?

We all have lives outside of here and the Christmas season is busy for all of us, myself included. All I'm asking for is a little focus. We can all see the challenges ahead, but let's not get caught up in the distractions and noise. We have a real problem right here in Maryland and the best thing about it is that we can do something positive about it. We can effect change here in Maryland and it starts now. Donate money while you still can and a little time when you can. Are your rights worth a few bucks and 5 minutes here and there? Can you spare an hour or two to make it to an MSI meeting? Nothing like networking face to face. Last meeting, member Mr. Phil drove up from Ocean City, about a 250 mile round trip. Need a ride down from Central MD, let me know. One of our members who's a card carrying proud Democrat showed up, why, because this isn't a Republicans vs. Democrats issue. This is us as Marylanders fighting for our Constitutional rights. We made some plans and laid some groundwork, but there's a lot to be done. Don't like meetings? Don't want to join MSI, that's cool. Can you send off some e-mails from home for the cause? You like talk radio? Think maybe you can contact one of the local guys and see if they'll give us a segment dedicated to the fight? I bet we can help you find people that could go on-air and make a good case for us. Think maybe we can apply some pressure to Sen Frosh from outside his district through the editorial pages? I think we can.

So, tell us here, in this thread, what are you doing to help the cause?

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM #2
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
Because of some health issues that have me on a walker I'm doing all that I'm able to do which perhaps isn't very much ........I'm a life member of the NRA and I still send them money when I can and I write letters and send e-mail to my representatives ...........wish I could do more .......but I'm just a crippled up 76 year old phart.

US Army 1950 - 1972
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
NRA Life Member
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM #3

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorGunR View Post
Because of some health issues that have me on a walker I'm doing all that I'm able to do which perhaps isn't very much ........I'm a life member of the NRA and I still send them money when I can and I write letters and send e-mail to my representatives ...........wish I could do more .......but I'm just a crippled up 76 year old phart.
DorGunR, you're keeping up the pressure through your letters and e-mails. Thank you. Hell, from what I can tell you've spent a fair bit of time in this life defending our rights as Americans, so I truly thank you for all you've done and are doing. You keep writing letters and sending e-mails and I'll make sure the doors get knocked on.

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM #4

Founder

Founder

Hey, this one ears a sticky!

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.
--G.K. Chesterton
DD214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM #5

Excellent, excellent post joppaj.
Celtic159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM #6

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Quote:
Anyone? Anyone care to share what they're up to? Maybe your simple actions can inspire someone else. I just sent Sen Jacobs a few bucks and a thank you letter.

Old December 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM #7
Returnedish Member

Returnedish Member

Quote:
Anyone? Anyone care to share what they're up to? Maybe your simple actions can inspire someone else. I just sent Sen Jacobs a few bucks and a thank you letter.
At the moment, not a thing. My only defense is that I'm a relative newbie to these boards and try to learn as much as I can everyday. Since this thread first came to life, I followed the link to AGC's ratings of my representatives; they've earned two As, one B and a question mark - very surprising for my district. I'll be glad to send small donations to my representatives, along with an explanation for why I choose to support them.

As it seems that my reps are already largely sympathetic to our cause, what would others suggest I do to get in the ear of those who deem us backwoods lunatics?

Last edited by Boondock Saint; December 20th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM #8

Send a message via AIM to Lostfantum Send a message via Yahoo to Lostfantum

Send a message via AIM to Lostfantum Send a message via Yahoo to Lostfantum
I drop letters in the mail and send money when I have extra.
Lostfantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM #9

Good post, very convicting.

I haven't done much at all, I could definitely do more.
So far I've became an NRA life member, and every chance I get, I try to teach my (former) non-shooting friends about firearms, and take them to the range to get comfortable with them. I've generated quite a few new shooters.
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM #10
For great Justice

For great Justice

a great OP that needs a bump

Took a European exchange student shooting the other day, a couple folks from work the week before that, and basically offer most anyone with even a passing interest in firearms to try a couple out, and recive some basic safety instruction, I firmly belive that the only way to keep our way of life, and dispell all of the convincing lies told by the media and politicians is to expose as many people to firearms as possible, and generate as many new shooters as we can. Then to push those who do shoot to help with the RKBA in one form or another.

I try to remain persistent, and do little things often instead of doing one big thing rarely, I give to the ILA when I can, keep up to date on my NRA and MSI membership dues, and write somewhat short letters and e-mails to the media and politicians when my work schedule allows. I try to show up in person at hearings, meetings, and events when I can, and in many ways use the forumn here to hone my debate and presentation skills for those events and small run ins with anti-gun, or misinformed gun owners.

All in all, I just try to do small tasks often, and try to get as many others as I can to help.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues