• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    I had a day off yesterday and drove to a couple of guns shops to look around. I noticed a similar theme in both. They had a lot more 40 caliber handguns then 9mm. I thought this to be odd as I know that 9mm is much more popular. I asked the owner about it and he stated that he can't get rid of the 40s, as no one buys them anymore.

The next shop was pretty much the same. In fact, the employee said he believes that they have been recently selling more 10mm's than 40's.

Is anyone buying 40 caliber anymore? (They apparently are not in local gun stores). Twenty years from now will we look back and talk about the 40 caliber fad?

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Not being a semi fan I don’t know the answer, but I’ve read elsewhere that the 40 cal is all but dead. As I understand it, police departments are going back to 9mm pistols.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The bloom is off the .40 caliber rose. Not that it's a bad round by any means. Since the FBI went back to the 9mm based upon its conclusions that bullet technology has improved to the point they consider it functionally equal to the .40...add to that cheaper costs, increased magazine capacity, somewhat less recoil, etc. Other law enforcement agencies have followed suit and civilians like to buy what the feds use. Those that want more power have tended to go to the 10mm or the old standby...the .45 ACP.

Distributors have an excess of .40 caliber pistols in inventory and have been heavily discounted them to retail store...who are already overstocked with them.

I'm not going to characterize the .40 caliber as a "fad"...maybe it's a victim of technology where it's past advantages have little relevance anymore. We'll see what the future holds. If there are some major failures of the 9mm in service it could go the other way again. Guns are durable items...they don't wear out given reasonable care so the need for ammunition will be there.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Not to bring doom and gloom to the conversation, but with any future panics that we experience, 40 is likely to be one of the few calibers available in any quantity. At least that was my experience in 2012-2013. It was still available and on the shelf. For that reason, I have one pistol with the spare barrel and some ammo for 40. I don’t necessarily care for it as the other calibers I have fill any conceivable role, but it’s nice to have something available during the lean times.
    But again, I have the barrel conversion and not a dedicated firearm in 40. And I’ll probably do this for one additional pistol as well. So I wouldn’t write it off. As others have stated above, ammo technology has progressed and there’s more to be had with the availability of other calibers. 40 is still viable, but just losing favor in the mainstream from what I’ve seen.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    When I got back into shooting .40 was what most LE agencies used, and so I blindly followed their lead. My reasoning was that IF I ever had to use it, my brass would match everybody else's brass, and if I needed to share ammo (lend or borrow some) we'd all have the same caliber.

It's my least favorite pistol caliber, mostly from a recoil standpoint, but it seems to be accurate enough at indoor target range distances, and if it hurts a bad guy as much as it hurts my wrist, then I'm okay with it. :D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The bloom is off the .40 caliber rose. Not that it's a bad round by any means. Since the FBI went back to the 9mm based upon its conclusions that bullet technology has improved to the point they consider it functionally equal to the .40...add to that cheaper costs, increased magazine capacity, somewhat less recoil, etc. Other law enforcement agencies have followed suit and civilians like to buy what the feds use. Those that want more power have tended to go to the 10mm or the old standby...the .45 ACP.

Distributors have an excess of .40 caliber pistols in inventory and have been heavily discounted them to retail store...who are already overstocked with them.

I'm not going to characterize the .40 caliber as a "fad"...maybe it's a victim of technology where it's past advantages have little relevance anymore. We'll see what the future holds. If there are some major failures of the 9mm in service it could go the other way again. Guns are durable items...they don't wear out given reasonable care so the need for ammunition will be there.

This^^^. Firearms trends are constantly changing. And at the very same time, the more they change, the more they stay the same, or regain their former favor.

Two concurrent realities, and part of what makes and keeps things so interesting.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Not to bring doom and gloom to the conversation, but with any future panics that we experience, 40 is likely to be one of the few calibers available in any quantity. At least that was my experience in 2012-2013. It was still available and on the shelf. For that reason, I have one pistol with the spare barrel and some ammo for 40. I don’t necessarily care for it as the other calibers I have fill any conceivable role, but it’s nice to have something available during the lean times.
    But again, I have the barrel conversion and not a dedicated firearm in 40. And I’ll probably do this for one additional pistol as well. So I wouldn’t write it off. As others have stated above, ammo technology has progressed and there’s more to be had with the availability of other calibers. 40 is still viable, but just losing favor in the mainstream from what I’ve seen.

This is the only reason I’m even contemplating a .40 and I just can’t force myself to buy one. Every time I pull up my FFL’s website to look at them I find something else I would rather spend the money on that’s in a caliber I already have.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Concur with the general thoughts here. I have a couple, pretty much just to have representation in my collection, but don't care for the round very much. It's fine... it works ... but for my two cents, 9mm is the standard and if you want more punch you step up to 10mm or .45

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If discounts are coming, it may be time to pickup a gen 4 g27. 1cm short isn't a bad cartridge at all, although I understand the reasons why many people prefer the 9mm or jumping up to a 45/1cm

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My guess is that many of the 9mm pistols were purchased in sales last week so their inventory is down. Just a guess.
    I have one M&P .40 pistol but usually shoot it with a conversion barrel in 9mm. It’s still nice to have .40 in case there’s another ammo run you’ll be able to find .40 if 9mm isn’t available. Of course now I have a significant ammo supply so it’s irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    When I read the thread title I thought the observation would be all the gun shops had a know it all with neck beard hanging out at the counter :shrug:

FWIW, I have a .40 that I never shoot and wouldn't mind getting rid off to buy a 9mm or a 45acp

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Only reason I'd buy a .40S&W is for USPSA Limited Major... and even then, it'd probably just be a G35 top-end.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul

This. It was everywhere in Iowa, during the last panic.

I have a theory that the move away from .40 is the tail end of a marketing gimmick so that more 9mm pocket pistols could be sold.

We'll be back to .40 when gun manufacturers figure out how to profit off of it, again.

Personally, I think a used .40 Glock is a heck of a deal. I need another caliber like I need a hole in the head, especially since I am overseas most of the year, but gosh, the prices are sure tempting. And with Glock, you can always change barrels.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    As a bonus, police trade-in Glock 22's are really cheap right now. And a 9mm barrel swap is easy.

D-Log

Jan 29, 2015
    Reisterstown
    As a bonus, police trade-in Glock 22's are really cheap right now. And a 9mm barrel swap is easy.

Virtually any police trade in in 40 is going for low prices these days. I routinely see M&P's going for under $250, and I purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm form A1 Uniform for $199. For those prices, it's hard to say no.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Could be looking at some of the 40cals I sold or traded. I found as many have that the recoil was very stout compared to 9mm. The 9's allow at least for me better shot placement lesser recoil. Chris

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with .40, but with the 9mm rounds these days be at least "as effective," as .40, agencies, who buy thousands upon thousands of rounds at a time like it because it is less expensive, and officers can carry more 9mm rounds in the same space as compared to .40.

For those reasons, and oh yea, "Because The FBI said it was ~more better~," agencies are clamoring for 9mm.

Stores buy police trade-ins, and so you will see LOTS of .40s on the shelves these days.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with .40; don't let the trendy 9mm folks get you down .40-lovers. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom