• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Note that Striper69, the OP , is in Iowa , so Md's DNR rules do not apply .

Yes , Md's big game handgun regs are arbitrary both as to mathematical Energy , and to bbl length . My handguns usually go hunting with me in Virginia , where the requirements are much more realistic . ( 350ftlb , 4in bbl )

Myself , and the Late Shooting & Handloading Partner #1 both had great accuracy with Berry's in .41 Mag , albeit with the 210gr, haven't tried their 180gr .

Felt recoil is subjective, yada, YMMV, yada, etc . But for me, from either 6.5in or 4 5/8 in Blackhawks , it is pleasant enough to not require Mag Na Porting . But if you are so inclined ; less muzzle flip , indistinguishable noise , slightly more visable flash , depending on the load, and ambient lighting .

Not withstanding Md's regs , a .44spl with 240gr cast @ 900-ish is indeed more than capable for Bambi .

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    For Marylanders - you need a minimum of 700FP of energy and a least a 6" barrel. With a top-end 357 you can just meet that requirement - maybe.

A 41 magnum with approximately 1000FP of energy out of a 4.62" barrel. Don't be silly. Totally inadequate for deer hunting.

That rule makes sense to somebody I suppose.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I always felt that way about my 5in .44mags . Or heck , my 2.75in .44mag was plenty effective out of state for that matter .

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Any deer that you harvested with a 2.75" 44 Magnum wasn't really dead; it was sleeping or playing possum or maybe coincidentally fainted because of low blood sugar :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thanks to all for the good info and the concern expressed.

The tier three loads are listed in that article were intended for 44 Specials that were converted from 357 Blackhawk revolvers.

Ruger really has made a mess with the different frame sizes. There have been "Ruger/Thompson Center only" loads listed in the reloading handbooks for many years. In particular there are listings for 45 Colt. Unfortunately those "Ruger Only" loads may no longer be safe in Rugers. When is a Vaquero not a Vaquero? When it is a "New" Vaquero. When is a Blackhawk not a Blackhawk? When it is a Flattop Blackhawk.

I believe that the current run of 44 Special guns are on the smaller Flattop frame. These may or may not be safe with the tier three loads.

Confusing. Reloading is not for everyone. Error on the light side. Approach heavy loads with caution. If you want a magnum buy a magnum. Stay safe.

New Vaqueros are marked “New Vaquero”. Ruger did this to distinguish the two series pistols. Not confusing.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Note that Striper69, the OP , is in Iowa , so Md's DNR rules do not apply .

Yes , Md's big game handgun regs are arbitrary both as to mathematical Energy , and to bbl length . My handguns usually go hunting with me in Virginia , where the requirements are much more realistic . ( 350ftlb , 4in bbl )

Myself , and the Late Shooting & Handloading Partner #1 both had great accuracy with Berry's in .41 Mag , albeit with the 210gr, haven't tried their 180gr .

Felt recoil is subjective, yada, YMMV, yada, etc . But for me, from either 6.5in or 4 5/8 in Blackhawks , it is pleasant enough to not require Mag Na Porting . But if you are so inclined ; less muzzle flip , indistinguishable noise , slightly more visable flash , depending on the load, and ambient lighting .

Not withstanding Md's regs , a .44spl with 240gr cast @ 900-ish is indeed more than capable for Bambi .

In Tennessee, the requirement is that the handgun be centerfire. I asked about that and they confirmed it. I specifically followed up with a question about a Baby Browning in .25acp and was told it's centerfire, it's legal.:draw:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I just bought a used Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum 4.62". Built in 1990 from the serial number. I have never shot a gun that was Magnaported before - looking forward to trying it out. Can pick it up next week.

Sometimes that's what happens when you walk into a gun shop to just pick up some primers. :innocent0

I have been shooting some warmer 44 Special loads through my Taylor & Co. Cattleman. These are still listed as being under the 15.5K max but are a step up from the cowboy action loads. That gun is not as strong as a Ruger. I figure the Ruger 41 Magnum can fill in at the range when I want a little more power and just reserve the Cattleman for mostly cowboy loads from now on.

I suspect that there will be little effect from the Magnaporting when shooting hard cast lead bullets at lower velocities. Except from the increase in noise that is. I'm not quite sure how i would be able to tell without having an unported 41 mag to compare against.

Brian Pierce had a nice article in Handloader from a few years ago on the 44 Special. He listed three pressure levels and discussed the guns that were safe at each level. I seriously considered a Ruger in 44 Special until the 41 Magnum "fell in my lap".

I'm not sure anything that you hit with .410 or a .429 bullet of the same type, velocity and weight would be able to tell the difference.

Man, oh man is 41 Magnum ammo expensive. You need to handload or have a fat wallet. I picked up a box of Winchester 240gr hunting ammo at the shop. $38 for 20 rounds. Yikes. Platinum Tips says the box. Must be real platinum.

BTW: LAXAmmo currently has 41 magnum for $44 per 100. Copper plated 210gr bullet at a listed velocity of 966FPS. Also have 250 rounds in an ammo can for $111. Both of these are new ammo.
    210g at 966FPS is like barely a bowling pin load. My old hunting load was more like 210g semi jacketed HP at about 1200FPS. My bear country load was a Buffalo Bore load of 250g lead Keiths at 1400FPS. It used to be one of the only loads I reloaded along with 9x23mm.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends on the expectations . That 210 @ 966 should be a decent "medium" load for general use . A bit hotter than a standard .45acp, more like a .45acp +P . Think .41 Special .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I believe that the current run of 44 Special guns are on the smaller Flattop frame. These may or may not be safe with the tier three loads.

These flattop NM Rugers are totally safe with any tier of load in 44 special. Brian Pierce at Handloader magazine had an article not to long ago with them listed. The 250 gr Keith bullet at 1200 fps is easily possible in the Special case and meets MD's minimum energy for deer hunting.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm using a load with the 180 gr. Hornady HP bullet that is not a +P load. Just want to correct my previous post. I'm using this because it is already accurate in my pistol at 100 yards.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I hope to get a doe with the 44 Special at a spot I was at yesterday at dusk. I was sitting at a different spot than I usually do and 3 does came out just before shooting light ended. Further away than I was comfortable with but I could've shot one if I wanted to ( I had my 30-06). They were well within range of my 44 Special if I sit in my usual spot. It snowed here today so I don't know if I'll be able to hunt tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom