I’m ready to embrace pistol mounted red dots.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I bought a bunch of new guns in the last few years however, I have not posted them on MDS. This one however has me excited. I purchased a belt system from G-Code a while back and have been practicing relentlessly. I have a new found love for shooting pistols. I got to the point where I was pretty happy with my shooting splits using an M&P with standard sights. Fast forward 6 months and lo and behold, I discovered pistol mounted red dots. Not that I didn’t know about them before, I just didn’t care enough about them to try them out. Holy cow have I missed out. I just got my Trijicon SRO today and cannot wait to go out and practice. Unfortunately, due to the ammo shortage, I’m going to have to ration what I have. I have plenty, but I’m unsure how long this shortage will last. Anyway, I’m pretty happy with my set up and the weight of the light definitely helps with follow up shots.

Attachments

• 27A7E99F-A9EF-4B2B-8DC0-58B7335408C5.jpg
      27A7E99F-A9EF-4B2B-8DC0-58B7335408C5.jpg
      107 KB · Views: 978

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I went with the Trijicon SRO shown above. Amazing sight.

The SRO is a very user-friendly sight. I have one on my hunting rig. They are not indestructible like RMRs though so avoid dropsies.
    I've got 2 RMRs with the 6.5 moa dot on a G17 and a G19 and am able to keep all my hits inside a 2x2 postit at 21' with no problem.
    Has your speed/accuracy improved as you've become used to the new system? Mine at least doubled in both aspects.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Which size dot did you go with? I have been considering the 2.5 MOA for my Glock 34.

I went with the 5 MOA dot and I find it to be the perfect size.

The SRO is a very user-friendly sight. I have one on my hunting rig. They are not indestructible like RMRs though so avoid dropsies.
    I've got 2 RMRs with the 6.5 moa dot on a G17 and a G19 and am able to keep all my hits inside a 2x2 postit at 21' with no problem.
    Has your speed/accuracy improved as you've become used to the new system? Mine at least doubled in both aspects.

Thanks man. I know that they are not as tough as the RMRs but that larger window is what convinced me to give it a try. I hate to admit it but yes, my speed and accuracy have vastly improved. I really didn’t want to like it, but I have to say that it has helped me shoot a lot better with standard pistol sights as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Thanks man. I know that they are not as tough as the RMRs but that larger window is what convinced me to give it a try. I hate to admit it but yes, my speed and accuracy have vastly improved. I really didn’t want to like it, but I have to say that it has helped me shoot a lot better with standard pistol sights as well.

Welcome to the dark side brother!
    :D

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Did you compare the RMR to others? I’ve a DPP already in one and a Holosun coming for another. Want to try RMR and then standardize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    I have astigmatism and was wondering if anyone with the same vision issues had a recommendation for a pistol sight? The Eotech on my AR has a dot matrix printout look to it, so I am wondering if I should be looking at a certain brand/model of pistol sight to avoid issues. I have read that a larger MOA dot can help. This would be more for target shooting than home defense.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    You and me both. I'm tossing around the idea now to either sell my Sig P320 or get the slide cut for a red dot. I just used a buddies P365XL with a red dot, was my first time, and didn't really know what I was missing until I shot his.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

Welcome to the dark side brother!
    :D

You and me both. I'm tossing around the idea now to either sell my Sig P320 or get the slide cut for a red dot. I just used a buddies P365XL with a red dot, was my first time, and didn't really know what I was missing until I shot his.

I'm curious! I just obtained a pistol red dot. I'm not very familiar yet but plan to get very familiar with the set-up Why do you think your accuracy has improved due to the pistol red dot?

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    I'm curious! I just obtained a pistol red dot. I'm not very familiar yet but plan to get very familiar with the set-up Why do you think your accuracy has improved due to the pistol red dot?

I haven't used one enough to know whether I'm any more accurate with it, but the fun factor was through the roof compared to the usual.

Maybe that's a result of spending almost 4 years in Iraq with access to an on-camp range and an unlimited supply of ammo to shoot that I wasn't paying for, so just taking the pistol to the range and shooting, practicing draws, etc got a little boring. I found the red dot brought the fun back for some reason.

Once I have my own, I'll start doing comparisons with it. I might just get the pre-cut X-series slide from Sig so that I can easily hot swap between the two and do some direct comparisons.

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    MD
    I have astigmatism and was wondering if anyone with the same vision issues had a recommendation for a pistol sight? The Eotech on my AR has a dot matrix printout look to it, so I am wondering if I should be looking at a certain brand/model of pistol sight to avoid issues. I have read that a larger MOA dot can help. This would be more for target shooting than home defense.

Not sure if this helps but I suffer from astigmatism, Fuchs' dystrophy, and Keratoconus. Primary correction mechanisms are scleral or large rigid gas permeable lenses, which allow me to see at almost 20'25. I still need 2X reading glasses on top for up close, including using iron sights. Not sure why, but I see normally through my optics without the reading glasses--maybe because the reticle is being projected at a distance? In any case, I have Holosun, Trijicon and Sig optics that seem to work well. However, I can't see well through either without those scleral lenses (or my emergency eyeglass prescription for HD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom