• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yes there is.

The insane thing is that every registration of a handgun bought at a MD gun store is called "Voluntary Registration". Except, if you opt not to volunteer, they won't let you have it. Splain that to me...

Mandatory volunteerism :sad20:

bldgengineer

Apr 5, 2013
    Kent Island
    Does this still work? I've been contemplating getting my first handgun and DNR lost my hunter's safety course. My personal card has been gone for years. I got it in 7th grade, 22 years ago. Never needed it since I always get my license from the same place for the past 20 years. I wanted to get a handgun a few years ago but decided to wait until everything calmed down some from the o'malley beat down.

My only other questions are what website have you guys been using to take the course and where does the letter come from explaining the exemption?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Does anyone know if a WV Hunter's Safety card will suffice? I also have to qualify every year per COMAR since I am a Weapons cadre Correctional Officer for the state of MD, yet am told that it does not suffice for the HQL. That makes no since to me:sad20:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I contacted the head of the licensing division about a question I have...maybe some of you can answer it. The law states that in order to buy, rent, or receive a handgun, one must possess a HQL correct? I am a Correctional Officer for the state of MD who is a weapons cadre officer and on the Institutional Tactical Unit. My question is this. When myself or another officer goes to the Sally port or the armory to draw a handgun, we are "receiving" it...are we not? None of us have a HQL. So aren't we breaking the law? I brought this up to our firearms instructors and they said that since we are trained and qualify per COMAR standards every year, then we are covered. But when I ask why the training and qualifications doesn't suffice for the requirements for the HQL, I'm told that the state just doesn't recognize it. Now if I happen to be out transporting an inmate and have to use my service weapon, you can bet that the first thing that they are going to do is make sure the inmate is alright (Yes liberal Maryland cares about them more than us) and 2: am I Qualified and trained to use that weapon.
    Thoughts, comments, suggestions anyone?

bldgengineer

Apr 5, 2013
    Kent Island
    I contacted the head of the licensing division about a question I have...maybe some of you can answer it. The law states that in order to buy, rent, or receive a handgun, one must possess a HQL correct? I am a Correctional Officer for the state of MD who is a weapons cadre officer and on the Institutional Tactical Unit. My question is this. When myself or another officer goes to the Sally port or the armory to draw a handgun, we are "receiving" it...are we not? None of us have a HQL. So aren't we breaking the law? I brought this up to our firearms instructors and they said that since we are trained and qualify per COMAR standards every year, then we are covered. But when I ask why the training and qualifications doesn't suffice for the requirements for the HQL, I'm told that the state just doesn't recognize it. Now if I happen to be out transporting an inmate and have to use my service weapon, you can bet that the first thing that they are going to do is make sure the inmate is alright (Yes liberal Maryland cares about them more than us) and 2: am I Qualified and trained to use that weapon.

Quick question, are you guys working directly for the state or is it a 3rd party contract? i.e. You work directly for a company that Maryland contracts through.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

A "law enforcement officer" is not required to possess an HQL.

That term is defined in Section 3-101 of the Public Safety Article:

(e)(1) “Law enforcement officer” means an individual who:

(i) in an official capacity is authorized by law to make arrests; and

(ii) is a member of one of the following law enforcement agencies:

1. the Department of State Police;

2. the Police Department of Baltimore City;

3. the Baltimore City School Police Force;

4. the Baltimore City Watershed Police Force;

5. the police department, bureau, or force of a county;

6. the police department, bureau, or force of a municipal corporation;

7. the office of the sheriff of a county;

8. the police department, bureau, or force of a bicounty agency;

9. the Maryland Transportation Authority Police;

10. the police forces of the Department of Transportation;

11. the police forces of the Department of Natural Resources;

12. the Field Enforcement Bureau of the Comptroller's Office;

13. the Housing Authority of Baltimore City Police Force;

14. the Crofton Police Department;

15. the police force of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene;

16. the police force of the Department of General Services;

17. the police force of the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation;

18. the police forces of the University System of Maryland;

19. the police force of Morgan State University;

20. the office of State Fire Marshal;

21. the Ocean Pines Police Department;

22. the police force of the Baltimore City Community College;

23. the police force of the Hagerstown Community College;

24. the Internal Investigation Unit of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services;

25. the Warrant Apprehension Unit of the Division of Parole and Probation in the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services; or

26. the police force of the Anne Arundel Community College.

(2) “Law enforcement officer” does not include:

(i) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the Police Commissioner of Baltimore City;

(ii) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority of a charter county;

(iii) the police chief of a municipal corporation;

(iv) an officer who is in probationary status on initial entry into the law enforcement agency except if an allegation of brutality in the execution of the officer's duties is made;

(v) a Montgomery County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.1 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(vi) an Anne Arundel County or City of Annapolis fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.2 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(vii) a Prince George's County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.3 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(viii) a Worcester County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.4 of the Criminal Procedure Article; or

(ix) a City of Hagerstown fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.5 of the Criminal Procedure Article.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A "law enforcement officer" is not required to possess an HQL.

That term is defined in Section 3-101 of the Public Safety Article:

(e)(1) “Law enforcement officer” means an individual who:

(i) in an official capacity is authorized by law to make arrests; and

(ii) is a member of one of the following law enforcement agencies:

1. the Department of State Police;

2. the Police Department of Baltimore City;

3. the Baltimore City School Police Force;

4. the Baltimore City Watershed Police Force;

5. the police department, bureau, or force of a county;

6. the police department, bureau, or force of a municipal corporation;

7. the office of the sheriff of a county;

8. the police department, bureau, or force of a bicounty agency;

9. the Maryland Transportation Authority Police;

10. the police forces of the Department of Transportation;

11. the police forces of the Department of Natural Resources;

12. the Field Enforcement Bureau of the Comptroller's Office;

13. the Housing Authority of Baltimore City Police Force;

14. the Crofton Police Department;

15. the police force of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene;

16. the police force of the Department of General Services;

17. the police force of the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation;

18. the police forces of the University System of Maryland;

19. the police force of Morgan State University;

20. the office of State Fire Marshal;

21. the Ocean Pines Police Department;

22. the police force of the Baltimore City Community College;

23. the police force of the Hagerstown Community College;

24. the Internal Investigation Unit of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services;

25. the Warrant Apprehension Unit of the Division of Parole and Probation in the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services; or

26. the police force of the Anne Arundel Community College.

(2) “Law enforcement officer” does not include:

(i) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the Police Commissioner of Baltimore City;

(ii) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority of a charter county;

(iii) the police chief of a municipal corporation;

(iv) an officer who is in probationary status on initial entry into the law enforcement agency except if an allegation of brutality in the execution of the officer's duties is made;

(v) a Montgomery County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.1 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(vi) an Anne Arundel County or City of Annapolis fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.2 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(vii) a Prince George's County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.3 of the Criminal Procedure Article;

(viii) a Worcester County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.4 of the Criminal Procedure Article; or

(ix) a City of Hagerstown fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.5 of the Criminal Procedure Article.

A state correctional officer is not an LEO.
    Note this guy's other leosa post. Asking about a federal "correctional officer" with the bureau of prisons being an leo.
    Just sayin.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    A state correctional officer is not an LEO.
    Note this guy's other leosa post. Asking about a federal "correctional officer" with the bureau of prisons being an leo.
    Just sayin.

I'm not following what you're trying to say.

Based on that definition, it would seem that a correctional officer is not an "LEO". Don't you think it's odd/crazy that a correctional officer, who I presume has an issue weapon (?), needs an HQL to purchase, rent or receive a handgun?!

Until I looked at the law today, I didn't realize that you need an HQL to go to a range and rent a handgun.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'm not following what you're trying to say.

Based on that definition, it would seem that a correctional officer is not an "LEO". Don't you think it's odd/crazy that a correctional officer, who I presume has an issue weapon (?), needs an HQL to purchase, rent or receive a handgun?!

Until I looked at the law today, I didn't realize that you need an HQL to go to a range and rent a handgun.

You don't need an HQL to rent as long as it doesn't leave the range property.

bldgengineer

Apr 5, 2013
    Kent Island
    I can certainly confirm that this method is still working. Training went through today and I just have METERS, CJIS, and JIS to go. So glad I found this post!!

Application\License Fee Completed Feb/18/15
    MVA Photo Completed Feb/20/15
    LiveScan Completed Feb/20/15
    Training Completed Feb/20/15
    NICS Completed Feb/20/15
    METERS Incomplete
    CJIS Incomplete
    MAFSS Completed Feb/20/15
    JIS Incomplete
    DJS Not ApplicableFeb/20/15
    DHMH Completed Feb/19/15

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The law simply states if you owned a regulated firearm before Oct. 1, you are training exempt. It makes no mention of where you purchased the firearm or whether it was ever registered in MD.

If it's not specified, it's not in the law.

IANAL. Nate is.

:thumbsup: good deal

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Quick question, are you guys working directly for the state or is it a 3rd party contract? i.e. You work directly for a company that Maryland contracts through.

We are indeed Correctional Officers with the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DOC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom