• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    That was a really bad cut and quote then? If that's the case, thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, sorry about, man. It hadn't even occurred to me that it could be read that way. I just didn't want to repeat what you said without giving you credit.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Hello Everyone:

Before, I make my comment let me first state, that I am have several NRA instructor certificates and I also teach the MD HQL and Wear and Carry Class. So here goes, why would you not want to take the MD HQL class? I understand the expense issue but I am sure you may learn several new topics while taking the class? The class itself may only take up six to eight hours of your time and unless and unless you are a master firearms instructor, there are still many things you can learn about firearms and their use from any class. Just being exposed to some of the other students may offer an different insight on firearms training. That is why I continue to take firearm classes at the Front Sight Training Institute located in NV? My point is this, there is something you can learn in any firearms class you take no matter how basic. It could be just getting a quick review of MD firearm laws which always seen to be changing. If class cost is an issue, look me up and I will gladly forgo the cost of the class for those who cannot afford to take the class. However, I cannot help you with the cost of fingerprinting. Just a thought. Dr. John

I recognize the value of training and also recognize that training requirements limit the exercise of rights.

I enjoy the training I have had. I would like to have more if I had more time and money. The HQL training requirement is BS

There are several instructors that offer HQL classes filled with bad information. This will potentially cause harm to students who would act on it. Check out this thread to see what some classes entail-> https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=187569

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, Pinecone, that was all at you. Don't try and troll now.

You are the one trolling by saying I said something I did not say.

Show me a SINGLE post where I advocate mandatory training. Not only this thread, but out of ALL my posts on MDS.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND training to everyone, as you are not born knowing how to shoot.

And I KNOW that most training provided by friends and family is not worth what you paid for it (and yes, I mean that is not worth the $0 you paid for it), and normally teaches you bad habits, that are hard to unlearn.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Necro HQL Training Exemption Thread Revival

Folks-

I've never concerned myself with the HQL requirements before because I'm retired military. However; the Mrs. would finally like to go ahead with getting her HQL so I can transfer one of my handguns she regularly uses at the range to her -- and so she can make her own purchases in the future. She has taken the NRA handgun safety class---but that was more than three years ago. She is a safe and proficient range shooter.

It looks like she should be able to take the on-line MD Hunters safety class to satisfy the training requirement for the HQL--is that correct? Also, I've seen a couple mentions of the online Texas Hunters Safety class in the thread below. Any particular advantage or reason why someone from MD would take the Texas class as opposed to the Maryland class? looks like the online MD class is $20 and the online Texas class is $29. All things being equal seems like the MD class is the better bang for the buck but...am I missing something

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think the advantage to Texas was that it's 100% on line. Precovid Maryland had a field day component.
    She could also buy a stripped AR15 lower and use that serial # for the training exemption. And she'll get an AR out of the deal

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I think the advantage to Texas was that it's 100% on line. Precovid Maryland had a field day component.
    She could also buy a stripped AR15 lower and use that serial # for the training exemption. And she'll get an AR out of the deal

Gotcha—- I figured there must be a reason that makes a difference. We talked about the stripped lower option—- she isn’t interested in that route at this time. Thanks for the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Gotcha—- I figured there must be a reason that makes a difference. We talked about the stripped lower option—- she isn’t interested in that route at this time. Thanks for the response!

The other option is a C&R handgun purchase (HQL exempt), there are some very modern handguns that qualify.

FAL-Ordinance

Mar 30, 2021
    Baltimore
    Buy a C&R-eligible gun. No HQL needed.

Once you own one, by the very fact of ownership you no longer need the training course if you choose to get the HQL.

And this will get you well under way toward your "Designated Collector" letter. Then $30 for your FFL03, and start getting fine old guns sent right to your door. Just like in America!

Slippery slope, but the slide into bankruptcy is fun . . .

I second this recommendation. Like others have mentioned, I was taught firearm safety and handling by my Dad, and didn't see the value of paying to sit through an 8 hour class. Instead, I picked up a Star Model B at a local show and was off to the races after 14 day waiting period (though would've picked a different C&R if I had to do it all over again).

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Hello Everyone:

Before, I make my comment let me first state, that I am have several NRA instructor certificates and I also teach the MD HQL and Wear and Carry Class. So here goes, why would you not want to take the MD HQL class? I understand the expense issue but I am sure you may learn several new topics while taking the class? The class itself may only take up six to eight hours of your time and unless and unless you are a master firearms instructor, there are still many things you can learn about firearms and their use from any class. Just being exposed to some of the other students may offer an different insight on firearms training. That is why I continue to take firearm classes at the Front Sight Training Institute located in NV? My point is this, there is something you can learn in any firearms class you take no matter how basic. It could be just getting a quick review of MD firearm laws which always seen to be changing. If class cost is an issue, look me up and I will gladly forgo the cost of the class for those who cannot afford to take the class. However, I cannot help you with the cost of fingerprinting. Just a thought. Dr. John

How do you feel about a Mandatory 8 hour class before voting? You know to learn how to check boxes and what each candidate is running on and proposing somewhat in detail?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How do you feel about a Mandatory 8 hour class before voting? You know to learn how to check boxes and what each candidate is running on and proposing somewhat in detail?

I'd go for a mandatory civics class; how our government is supposed to work, seperation of powers, checks and balances, the Constitution, etc

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I'd go for a mandatory civics class; how our government is supposed to work, seperation of powers, checks and balances, the Constitution, etc

So we are kind of agreeing here. I am all for that class covering civics as well as what each candidate is lieing I mean saying they want

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So we are kind of agreeing here. I am all for that class covering civics as well as what each candidate is lieing I mean saying they want

Lesson #1, Day #1:
    Don't believe a single thing a politician/ candidate says. Base your decisions only on what they have already actually done.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A. Consult ATF list of enumerated C&R firearms .

B. Bone up on relevant firearms as to which are inherently pre 1971 , as regard to introduction / discontinue of various models , sub variants , options . I.e. , every S&W M10 of dash 4 and lower is C&R .

C. Bone up on decoding foreign Proof Mark codes . For US mfg , serial number ranges are generally available . Ruger on their website , Colt and S&W in various reference works .

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    A. Consult ATF list of enumerated C&R firearms .

B. Bone up on relevant firearms as to which are inherently pre 1971 , as regard to introduction / discontinue of various models , sub variants , options . I.e. , every S&W M10 of dash 4 and lower is C&R .

C. Bone up on decoding foreign Proof Mark codes . For US mfg , serial number ranges are generally available . Ruger on their website , Colt and S&W in various reference works .

Thanks--

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

UPDATE: True story--- she literally just decided to go the stripped lower option and is on her way now to the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick to make the purchase. SMDH--- :D

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Folks-

I've never concerned myself with the HQL requirements before because I'm retired military. However; the Mrs. would finally like to go ahead with getting her HQL so I can transfer one of my handguns she regularly uses at the range to her -- and so she can make her own purchases in the future. She has taken the NRA handgun safety class---but that was more than three years ago. She is a safe and proficient range shooter.

It looks like she should be able to take the on-line MD Hunters safety class to satisfy the training requirement for the HQL--is that correct? Also, I've seen a couple mentions of the online Texas Hunters Safety class in the thread below. Any particular advantage or reason why someone from MD would take the Texas class as opposed to the Maryland class? looks like the online MD class is $20 and the online Texas class is $29. All things being equal seems like the MD class is the better bang for the buck but...am I missing something

Hey brother, sorry just saw this. Yeah, the point of taking the Texas course was to avoid the mandatory field day for the MD one—though it occurs to me now that the MD field day might be suspended due to covid? Anyways, sorry for the confusion; I should have stated that in the original post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom