• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    OK, I've been meaning to post this but I didn't want to embarrass myself. The wife spotted this at a gun show and wanted it. Well to say she has an expensive taste is an understatement but at least its not a $750 dollar shoe. So we get home and I read the reviews on line and freak out. first at the fact that you need to use a buck a piece ammo only. The reviews were all over the place from Jam-omatic, to it eats anything I feed it. So we finally take it to the range and shoot it and at 15 yards it shoots point of aim with 124gr fmj. it functioned flawlessly. through the entire magazine. from leaving the house ang getting to the range the temperature dropped 20 degrees and at least 10 the first 20 minutes at the range. We felt like popsicles so we packed up and left. I sighed a sigh of relief at its functioning but I must say I have never had a handgun hurt the web of my hand like this one after two rounds. For practice I got her weightlifting gloves, she was wearing gloves I wasn't. I ordered a set of Crimson trace for her and they point where the front sight is. so now she has a thousand dollar gun but happy. Add, for a. DAO trigger it was smooth with a crisp let off. Better than my smith.
    Review over Nice firearm.

Attachments

• 20170110_003202[91] (2).jpg
      20170110_003202[91] (2).jpg
      135 KB · Views: 701

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I went through the same thing when I was reviewing the Solo prior to purchasing one, but I took a chance and picked up a used Solo CDP (LG) with Crimson Trace. Mine not only has been flawless, but I even ran multiple mags of 115gr ball ammo through it without a hitch. In fact, I've yet to run any self-defense ammo in it - just 115gr and 124gr fmj. I love this little gun! Most of the negative reviewers were probably in one of two categories: 1) the normal Kimber bashers who never owned one but heard bad things from a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend (or the internet) or 2) people who probably didn't read the manual regarding what type of ammo the gun required and ran with 115gr in a brand new gun. I'm sure there were some who had real issues, but you have some who have had issues with every gun imaginable. But I personally have (and do currently) own several Kimbers and the Solo is one that I won't give up. The only issue I have with the Solo is the ugly and blocky extended mags :)

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    I've had the same experience. I purchased a solo a few years ago. I shot a box or two of 124g FMJ without a problem then switched to 115g FMJ. I have about 300 rounds through it, most of which has been cheap Wal-Mart Perfecto 115g FMJ rounds. So far, no problems...

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I noticed that while watching the ejection the brass landed about 7 or 8 feet behind my wife. I then asked her to watch where the brass ejected and neither of us could see it eject. Maybe we needed a sunny day.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I can't comment on the pistol because I have no experience with it, but it has been dropped from the Kimber lineup. You should consider stocking up on spare parts before they stop supporting it. Good luck.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I can't comment on the pistol because I have no experience with it, but it has been dropped from the Kimber lineup. You should consider stocking up on spare parts before they stop supporting it. Good luck.

No it hasn't. All models are still listed on the KimberAmerica website.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    OK, I've been meaning to post this but I didn't want to embarrass myself. The wife spotted this at a gun show and wanted it. Well to say she has an expensive taste is an understatement but at least its not a $750 dollar shoe. So we get home and I read the reviews on line and freak out. first at the fact that you need to use a buck a piece ammo only. The reviews were all over the place from Jam-omatic, to it eats anything I feed it. So we finally take it to the range and shoot it and at 15 yards it shoots point of aim with 124gr fmj. it functioned flawlessly. through the entire magazine. from leaving the house ang getting to the range the temperature dropped 20 degrees and at least 10 the first 20 minutes at the range. We felt like popsicles so we packed up and left. I sighed a sigh of relief at its functioning but I must say I have never had a handgun hurt the web of my hand like this one after two rounds. For practice I got her weightlifting gloves, she was wearing gloves I wasn't. I ordered a set of Crimson trace for her and they point where the front sight is. so now she has a thousand dollar gun but happy. Add, for a. DAO trigger it was smooth with a crisp let off. Better than my smith.
    Review over Nice firearm.

A member here complained recently about his wife buying some outrageously expensive shoes; so I get the reference.

I was interested when this gun first came out, but like you, read a lot of mixed reviews. I'm generally not a Kimber fan, and don't like manual external safeties on a ccw (W&C) handgun.

Although I do love the look of this relatively new Kimber micro 9 "Raptor":

rap2.jpg

Why do gun companies continue give their guns names like this? Rhetorical question.

Unfortunately I have not shot either of these pistols and do not have an opinion. I think the general category of these guns (mini, but not truly micro) is a very popular and practical size; as is the caliber, 9mm. It's just too big to pocket carry, unless you have baggy pants or cargo pockets; and it's a tad unnecessarily small for IWB or OWB carry. So you could go for a slightly larger pistol and carry IWB/OWB and have higher capacity and better sight radius/ergonomics (maybe). But folks with smaller hands, or the desire to have the option to carry both ways, probably prefer this size more. If they do discontinue it and you take care of it, you might have a collectors piece someday.

Definitely shoot it some more before you decide if you want to keep or dx it. Have fun, I'd love to shoot it! :D

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    It's gone.

That is a shame, but I'll keep my Solo. I also own a Micro Raptor .380 (in black) and will probably pick up the Micro 9 but can't decide whether I want the CDP or the Raptor model. My other two little 1911s are a Sig P238 and a Colt Government .380 - I'm a real sucker for those little micro 1911-style pistols :)

Attachments

• pix087138304-orig.jpg
      pix087138304-orig.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 435

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The only thing I dislike about the micro 9 is the lack of DA . My wife put about 40 rounds through it today with no malfunctions she loves the trigger its smooth. I bought her a pair padded weightlifting gloves to take the sting out of the web of her hand for practice. The crimson trace was dead on. I assured her if she has to use it she won't feel the sting.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    The only thing I dislike about the micro 9 is the lack of DA . My wife put about 40 rounds through it today with no malfunctions she loves the trigger its smooth. I bought her a pair padded weightlifting gloves to take the sting out of the web of her hand for practice. The crimson trace was dead on. I assured her if she has to use it she won't feel the sting.

I go back and forth on whether I want to get the Crimson Trace on the Micro 9. Glad to hear that it was accurate, though...that pushes me more towards getting it. Glad to year your wife is liking it!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I go back and forth on whether I want to get the Crimson Trace on the Micro 9. Glad to hear that it was accurate, though...that pushes me more towards getting it. Glad to year your wife is liking it!

Using the Crimson trace improved her ability to stay on target and overcome anticipation that I saw on her final shot. (Empty magazine) I've read reviews concerning using a laser for training to improve new shooters (she doesn't run as many rounds as I do). There was a lot of truth in those articles. I'm convinced. The picture shows the extended magazine. The short one to me is more difficult to hold. It's a light gun with a substantial recoil.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Using the Crimson trace improved her ability to stay on target and overcome anticipation that I saw on her final shot. (Empty magazine) I've read reviews concerning using a laser for training to improve new shooters (she doesn't run as many rounds as I do). There was a lot of truth in those articles. I'm convinced. The picture shows the extended magazine. The short one to me is more difficult to hold. It's a light gun with a substantial recoil.

The Micro 9 is just a little larger than the Micro 380 and I don't run it without the extended mags (same with my P238). I have large hands for a woman and I don't like my pinky dangling under the mag. As for the laser, I also like them for training and dry firing, but find them distracting at the range - my hands always appear less steady when that little red dot bounces around :)

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    There are lots of Kimber fanboys out there, but the reality is Kimber is not that great. They invest in marketing while their QC went down the toilet.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    There are lots of Kimber fanboys out there, but the reality is Kimber is not that great. They invest in marketing while their QC went down the toilet.

You know what they say about opinions. But while I've actually owned many Kimbers (in .45, 9mm, .40 and .380 calibers and in fullsize, Commander-size, Officer-size and Micro), I've never had an issue with any of them - not a one. And I'm not a fanboy/fangirl - I have other 1911s other than Kimbers and like them just as well. But, if you don't like them, may I suggest you not buy one. Or if you have one and want to sell it cheap, let me know and I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom