• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I'm cross posting this from another forum. I got good information there, and I'm just looking to see if there are any other opinions since I know there are many people who do or have done machine work on here.

I need to fabricate a steel plate (or maybe aluminum, but let's assume steel), and drill four holes in said plate. I think I'm going to order the plate cut to the size I need, but I still need to drill it, so I have a question for people who've done this kind of thing.

I've had a couple uses for a drill press before, but never really thought of buying one until I saw that they aren't that ridiculously expensive. My main question is: what's the difference between a $200 Craftsman model, an $800 dollar deWalt (my brand loyalty brand), and the various increments up to 14k?

Obviously I'm not trying to spend 14k, or even 4k. Or, honestly, even 800. If I can get what I need as an occasional user out of 200-300 bucks, I'm golden.

Any advice?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have an old Ryobi bench top drill press.

1/2 inch chuck, 10 inch work surface (Center of column to front of table), 1/4 horsepower, 5 speeds.

I've abused the snot out of the thing and it has done EVERYTHING I've asked of it.

If you like spending 800 dollars, and love the color yellow, buy the Dewalt.

You will want a STURDY bench to bolt it to.

press.jpg

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info and perspective I wanted to get.

Besides followed some tutorials about lubricating the surfaces with oil, is there anything special I need to read/learn/know about drilling steel?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info and perspective I wanted to get.

Besides followed some tutorials about lubricating the surfaces with oil, is there anything special I need to read/learn/know about drilling steel?

Little bits go fast.

Big bits go slow.

The rest is trial and error.

For cheaters, there are material/speed/feed charts.

bmkoenig

Make sure you can slow the drill down to the proper RPM for the drill size and material you are drilling. Many of the inexpensive drill presses are geared towards woodworkers and spin too fast for metalworking.

Also, don't forget some method of securely clamping the material to the table. You don't want the bit to catch and cause injury.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm in the market for a new floor model only because my main one is about 40 years old, I can't fault it other than the new ones are easier to adjust, have lights, lasers, etc. Mainly for woodworking but will have a slow option. This will be my fourth working drill press. I have a Grizzly 17" bandsaw and am not looking to them for a drill press because some parts you just can't get, although Grizzly has offered to make parts for me haha ha! I don't see the need to spend the cash on a powermatic or even Jet . We'll see.
    Good Luck Venge

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Cheap presses will punch holes in things just fine. I've been using a crappy HF press for years and it does most things I ask of it.

But if I had to do it over, I'd look for used equipment on Craigslist. Drill presses will run forever and the old ones are built to last.

Where the expensive presses shine are tolerances, and usually a wider range of speed controls. If you want to drill a nice, perfectly straight hole (especially though a hunk of steel) then you need a better press.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If it's not a hp+ gear head don't even think about spending more than a couple hundred for it. Search Craigslist for a good used one. Anything big enough to have a MT spindle will be nice.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If you buy and have accounts set up will the various steel supply companies , they will cut the steel and flame cut or plasma cut the holes in the plate as well with nothing more is needed other then clean-up are you receive it .

Most of the time it is cheaper then what anyone else could process the plates , there is a couple things I do not know about the plate and holes but I would ask the question and it cost nothing to ask .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've got two drillpresses. Both benchtop models.

The first one, I got at a 'tool show'. This drillpress is 30+ years old.
    The drill stop was made of plastic. CHEAP! Drill into the material and go to the 'stop' with just a little bit of extra pressure, and the stop tears apart.

A good friend talked with a friend that's a machinist, and he fabricated a really nice stop out of aluminum.

The CHEAP chuck got tossed and I installed a GOOD Jacobs chuck.

This has turned out to be a really good drillpress.

The other is a Sears.
    This has been a workhorse.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    LOL Seems like a waste of money to have an edgefinder for a drill press but to each their own. For a jalopy table top drill press and if it was me, I'd grab a piece of 1/16" rod or something else decently straight and round, chuck up my cordless drill... angle it and grind it down to a point on the bench grinder. That'll get you close enough for everything you're going to use that drill press for.

I've got an edgefinder, but I never used the center finder end in professional use. I cant ever recall when I saw someone using that end for the hole/center finder either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom