• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    I'm looking for 22LR shell casings. Anyone have an idea where I can salvage some out west (Hagerstown) area?

I use them to make jacketed .224 bullets. Now that 22 ammo is hard to find, so is the empties.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    You have some special type of swager to do that? I saw a video recently on someone making jacketed .45 ammo with .40 S&W brass, I had never heard of such a thing so I was pretty amazed...

You probably did already, but have you tried calling around to scrap/salvage yards? The ones in my area buy range brass and sell it by the pound in a huge bin. You could pick out .22LR brass all day...Or call up any indoor ranges in your area..

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Mulchman, how well do those Corbin Bullet swaging sets work?

I looked into those, but the price of the sets were pretty pricey. I have and get plenty of lead to make the cores, & thought about the Corbins to make jacketed bullets for my 22 cal rifles.

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    Mulchman, how well do those Corbin Bullet swaging sets work?

I looked into those, but the price of the sets were pretty pricey. I have and get plenty of lead to make the cores, & thought about the Corbins to make jacketed bullets for my 22 cal rifles.

Definitely has a learning curve but with some practice I have started making pretty nice bullets. The possibilities are endless. The 22lr brass makes thin jacketed bullets that are explosive at higher speed, and should be kept below 3200 FPS. I'm shooting them from .223 right now and the velocities are not a problem. I'm going to speed them up a bit in 22-250 and see exactly what speed they disintegrate. With commercial jackets you can make anything.

Pricey? You bet. I came into this by accident. I needed a good press to reload for a 50 and my research led me to the Corbin MegaMite Press. IMO you can't get a better press. He sent me a bunch of info on what else I could do with it and I couldn't find bullets (in any calibre) at the store so I said to myself, "self, why don't you start making your own bullets?" Now I have a six die set for making .224 calibre and a 4 die set for making .355 bullets. I probably have 5 grand in the entire set up, supplies included, but I am not held captive to the market now. If I need bullets, I just make them!

Turns out to be a really good hobby for winter.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    What I would do is to find is a dedicated rim fire shooter that shoots the ammunition that you like the empty's from. Rimfire cases also come in different lengths, And to sort them out you will never get the quality of bullets from range pickups that you will get from one brick of the same lot. That way you get the repeatability from shot to shot and lot to lot from the bullets you make. I bought a few sets of swedging dies back in the early in the 80s when match grade bullets were very hard to find. With what I learned over the years is, Its easier to buy J4 jackets and then swedge your own. It is gratifying to make and shoot your own bullets, Please post and let us know how it is working for you. Thanks

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    What I would do is to find is a dedicated rim fire shooter that shoots the ammunition that you like the empty's from. Rimfire cases also come in different lengths, And to sort them out you will never get the quality of bullets from range pickups that you will get from one brick of the same lot. That way you get the repeatability from shot to shot and lot to lot from the bullets you make. I bought a few sets of swedging dies back in the early in the 80s when match grade bullets were very hard to find. With what I learned over the years is, Its easier to buy J4 jackets and then swedge your own. It is gratifying to make and shoot your own bullets, Please post and let us know how it is working for you. Thanks

I've been making bullets for about a year. My very first ones made from 22LR cases shot 3/4 inch at a hundred yards and that wasn't working up a load. I've been scavenging them from the PF&G Club and processed about 2000 so far. I do sort them according to brand but never thought of getting them from the same lot. I use Corbin jackets too, and the 9mm ones are beautiful and perfect. I love making those. A lot easier than 22 calibre. My next set of dies will be .510 and I plan on getting the jacket swaging dies to form 1/2 inch cooper pipe into the jackets for that. I'll try to figure out how to upload some pix and show them to you guys.

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    Im a member how much do you want I can check.

I'll take what you can get, a gallon or two would be nice. I'll pay scrap price for them. I don't mind. Even at that price the bullets are virtually free, except for my time. I use wheel weight lead and cast my own cores.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, if I can get my hand on some 22LR brass in the future, would you be willing to trade the brass for bullets? I'd like to do some testing for varmint if you are open to the idea.

What is the weight of the .224 you are making?

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I've got a gallon bucket full. PM me an address and reimburse the postage after you get them.
    I've toyed with the idea of producing my own jacketed bullets a la Mr Speer, but haven't moved in that direction. Don't know if I want to spend the money on that Corbin press. I am sure that I will re accumulate plenty of 22 cases before I make the move.
    DocAitch

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm looking for 22LR shell casings. Anyone have an idea where I can salvage some out west (Hagerstown) area?

I use them to make jacketed .224 bullets. Now that 22 ammo is hard to find, so is the empties.

I get brass from an indoor range which I sort for my own use and sell the rest (I sorted 65 lbs this morning). All the 22 or other unusable stuff I have set aside figuring I would scrap it at some point. I just checked, and I have about 16 lbs of 22 LR cases (I'm going to guess its a 2-3 gallons or so. If you still need some, I live in Abingdon. Just PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom