Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Any thoughts on using a .50 Beowulf?
    Overkill or not enough range?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I'm finishing up my 6.8 SPC AR for deer but will use it for hogs as well. Head over to 68forums.com if you wanna read more about it. And ARP is one of the top barrel and bolt manufacturers for the 6.8.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

I have shot hogs with a .458 socom, the problem with big caliber rounds in the AR platform like the .458 and .50 beowulf is the recoil. It is nearly impossible to get a decent follow up shot or shots on multiple hogs. The .300blk barely kicks and you can get right back on target for follow up shots. It also suppresses nicely and this really confuses the sounder of hogs. I have had
    the sounder run towards me after shooting one of the members of the group. Same thing with deer as well. This video talks about this exact thing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

When the Beowulf first came out, hog hunting was all you read about. It's supposed to be a great hog gun.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If it were me, I would bring my PTR-91 with a 20 round mag of 7.62 NATO. No, but seriously, why not 223 with the heaviest bullet you can reliably shoot? O/W 300 blk seems to me it would work rather well.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have shot hogs with a .458 socom, the problem with big caliber rounds in the AR platform like the .458 and .50 beowulf is the recoil. It is nearly impossible to get a decent follow up shot or shots on multiple hogs. The .300blk barely kicks and you can get right back on target for follow up shots. It also suppresses nicely and this really confuses the sounder of hogs. I have had
    the sounder run towards me after shooting one of the members of the group. Same thing with deer as well. This video talks about this exact thing.

The 50B with a good muzzle brake isn't that bad for recoil. I think I could get off a second shot pretty easy. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like shooting a 223, but it's very manageable.

YMMV

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    The 50B with a good muzzle brake isn't that bad for recoil. I think I could get off a second shot pretty easy. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like shooting a 223, but it's very manageable.

YMMV

Not saying it isn't manageable but you will get a lot more muzzle rise out of 50B than you will out of a .300blk or .223. As other have said it really has to a lot with shot placement. I have double lunged and heart shot a hog with a 12 gauge, 3 1/2" 300gr slug going 2100fps. It bowled the hog over only to have it get up and run about 100 yards into the bush. There was a fist sized exit wound. On the other hand a neck shot from my .300blk drops them in their tracks and I can watch them roll over in the scope.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Perhaps this is a dumb question...

Is 7.62 x 39 a good choice for Hogs? I don't see much love for it in this thread and am truly just curios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'd say something in excess of maybe 2200 would be sufficient. That's a WAG though. I ain't no physicist. I have killed a couple hogs though.

The 7.62x39 runs around 1600 if tables and charts can be believed. That'd work.

More is better with big hogs. I've had great luck with 308. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 35 Remington which clocks in around 2K ft/lbs.

Again, I ain't an expert.

300BLK with a 110gr bullet will see around 1500 ft/lbs, as long as the velocity is 2350 or higher.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

YMMV

The first video is of me, the second is of psycosteve. psycosteve made a serious mistake when shouldering the rifle, can you tell what mistake he made?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Either .45-70 "Gummint" or .44 Magnum.

I've taken two hogs.

First was with Dan Wesson .44 magnum VH-4 set-up. Distance: 7 feet.
    Second was with Marlin 1895G in .45-70. Distance: 20 yards.

Both dropped where they stood, like they were hit by freight-trains.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Perhaps this is a dumb question...

Is 7.62 x 39 a good choice for Hogs? I don't see much love for it in this thread and am truly just curios.

Some specialized bullets (such as controlled chaos) might not be commercially available for it, but for the first couple hundred yards, the average 7.62x39 round will have more energy than similar bullet weight 7.62x35 (300 BLK) rounds (e.g. 124/125 gr). The ballistics (aerodynamics) of bullets loaded into 300 BLK rounds often give them an energy advantage at greater distances.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Either .45-70 "Gummint" or .44 Magnum.

I've taken two hogs.

First was with Dan Wesson .44 magnum VH-4 set-up. Distance: 7 feet.
    Second was with Marlin 1895G in .45-70. Distance: 20 yards.

Both dropped where they stood, like they were hit by freight-trains.

That Dan Wesson is a looker.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some specialized bullets (such as controlled chaos) might not be commercially available for it, but for the first couple hundred yards, the average 7.62x39 round will have more energy than similar bullet weight 7.62x35 (300 BLK) rounds (e.g. in the 124/125 gr). The ballistics (aerodynamics) of bullets loaded into 300 BLK rounds often give them an energy advantage at greater distances.

The Zombie Max ammo should do the trick.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Some specialized bullets (such as controlled chaos) might not be commercially available for it, but for the first couple hundred yards, the average 7.62x39 round will have more energy than similar bullet weight 7.62x35 (300 BLK) rounds (e.g. 124/125 gr). The ballistics (aerodynamics) of bullets loaded into 300 BLK rounds often give them an energy advantage at greater distances.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom