• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    What are the normal added fees when buying a new handgun in Md.?
    I plan to buy a lock, but what else will be added on? I will probably be shopping either freestate or blue fins. I had hoped to buy from Lou, but too late.
    Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The fee for MSP is $10. If you buy from Blue Fins make sure you mention you're from MDS if it's a transfer as it saves you about $30. Just a heads up.

There should also be no charge for certified mail either as all 77R's should be faxed in at this time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on the shop.

Many shops include the MD paperwork fee in their price.

Shop around.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What are the normal added fees when buying a new handgun in Md.?
    I plan to buy a lock, but what else will be added on? I will probably be shopping either freestate or blue fins. I had hoped to buy from Lou, but too late.
    Thanks.

As mentioned, $10 bribe to the MSP (even after the HQL:mad54:)

It may sound silly...but don't forget sales tax! Depending on how nice of a gun you are looking at, six percent can add up.

Also, some stores may add a credit card fee over the cash price...sometimes 3%.:innocent0

If you ask, they should be willing to work up a total out the door price before you sign anything.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Ask the shop you are thinking to buy from what they charge because there are large differences.

I see you are a new poster so I should mention the first big hurdle is getting your HQL (Handgun Qualification License) which will cost about $100 + the cost of training if needed which varies depending on where you get it. You need an HQL to buy a handgun in Maryland except in a few rare cases. Talk to your dealer they should explain everything to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't see large differences in dealer additional fees , MSP fee at cost, tampon lock if required.

This is for handguns purchased from on hand stock.

I haven't see a seperate fee for dealer to special order for you, but you may be charged closer to MSRP.

If you do the sourcing and paying directly to supplier, and use the FFL just for transfer, then there can be wide variation.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I haven't see a seperate fee for dealer to special order for you, but you may be charged closer to MSRP.

If you do the sourcing and paying directly to supplier, and use the FFL just for transfer, then there can be wide variation.

Just an FYI. Every firearm I have bought from Jlowes was special ordered, and I've never paid anywhere near retail. Since he meets or beats pretty much ANY online price, it's kinda foolish IMO, to even bother to try and have something transferred...I've only bought a dozen or so items from him, but with the money saved, at least 2 of those items have been free. :party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any SMART dealers, will special order for you, at about the same price as you can order, ship, and transfer.

Why would they not? At least that way, they get the transfer fee AND some profit on the pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom