• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    My buddy up in Garrett County needs some pellets and they seem to be all out up there. I told him I would try to find some and bring them up with me on Friday. A downside is that all I have is my wife's Highlander since my son took my truck to college. :( This means i can probably only haul 15 bags or so.

I live between Frederick and Hagerstown. Does anyone know of any availability? I called the obvious Home Depots and Lowes. Thanks

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Walmart in Lavale carrys it- not sure if its in stock. Check Southern States (I get mine at the one in Mtn Lake Park)

Around us in Garrett County - these places I do know carry pellets, but cant say if they are still in stock.

Fratz hardware in Accident, Manor Home Center Mtn Lake Park, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Walmart, Naylors.

Not sure if Sams Agway carries pellets, but might be worth a call.

Also check Morgantown area shops. There is also a Southern States in Hazleton WV, just past the state line in WV.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I swear the garret county folks are good people and ALWAYS helping people out, thank you all for that! My wife's family grew up there, maybe I can swing by and shoot with you guys if I'm up that wat.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    The Hooligans are a special breed. They really seem to have a great group. I, too, would like to go shoot with them a few times if they'll have me. My offer for pizza is always there when I'm up.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Mr. Hardware in Hancock MD has some. I prefer the Turmans, as they burn better in my stove for some reason. Do a google search for Mr. Hardware Hancock MD and you can get the number. They are open Mon-Sun, closing early on Sat and Sun.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I don't know about Western Md, but local (central MD) BJs and Sam's have pellets for pretty reasonable. A quick look on line says there are Sam's Clubs in Frederick and Hagerstown

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Related to subject........ what does it cost per winter to burn these things? Do the newer stoves burn an alternate fuel if you run out? Would wood chips work????

It depends how much you burn. The best thing to do is buy pellets in the Summer, which is what I do. The cost is ususally less then, and the demand is low.

I burn 4 tons of pellets per heating season. Bear in mind Garrett County is alot colder, then rest of Maryland, and our heating season is much longer.

It usually costs me about $900 per heating season to heat my home with pellets. Thats using my stove from October until usually April. The stoves uses very little electricity, my electric bills is pretty low in the winter.

They do make some stoves that will burn pellets, corn & coal. The problem with those stoves, is they do not generate as high BTU's as some of the stand alone wood pellets stoves. They also require an agitator in the burn pot to break up the clinkers. A dedicated wood pellet stove does not need an agitator (burns much cleaner in the burn pot)

Wood chips would not work, they are not as dense as a wood pellet. Plus they probably would not feed very well.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Related to subject........ what does it cost per winter to burn these things? Do the newer stoves burn an alternate fuel if you run out? Would wood chips work????

It's a very subjective answer-

My house is about 3/4 of the way through our second ton this year. We keep it pretty cool mid 60s aside from the kitchen where the stove is. It heats great when we're above 15* outside, burns about a bag and a half a day. Any colder we'll supplement with the oil furnace. We're heating about 1500 Sq ft (the two upper levels of the house).

A ton (picked up) costs us $235. They load a pallet in the back of the truck. The wife unloads the pallet at home.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Found this contact for MR Hardware in Hancock. Good people there.

Getting late in the season but Tractor supply usually has them & with the warehouse in Hagerstown should be in stock.

If all else fails call American Wood Fibres up at Marion PA., between Greencastle & Chambersburg on I-81. They manufacture them there but I don't know if they retail or can only refer you to a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom