• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I surprised myself today.

Was in the tree stand at 0615 hours and waiting for the day to appear. Little windy, kind of warmish (60 degree's) but I was comfortable and looking forward to what the woods held for me.

At about 0700, a very small doe appeared in front of me through the tree's and bushes. I watched her intently; knowing that other deer would probably be following her. A larger doe appeared as well and they crossed 15 feet in front of my stand. Practically a point blank shot.

I just sat there with my rifle in my lap and watched them. Love watching deer when they believe that all is well in their world and they are at ease. For some unknown reason; I decided to let them both walk away. I'm sort of contemplating it now (why)... I'm in no rush to take a deer with so many of them around.

It was nice and really different to go out on the first day of black powder, see deer that I could have easily taken.... and let them go.

I'll go back out tomorrow

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yeah.. done that multple times.. its nice to be out in the woods and watch nature wonders.. :)

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: That's the way to do it! If you don't feel like taking the shot, don't! I also suspect that as all of the other deer are mingling around your stand a trophy buck will appear. Maybe that will change your mind and you'll decide to take the shot.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I feel the same way. I especially love when I am bow hunting and a deer comes in (Doe or Buck) and for what ever reason I decide not to take it. Standing there close enough to hear the deer taking breaths or eating, knowing you could end its life to provide for yourself and your kin is a POWERFUL feeling. A feeling a grocery shopper will never experience.

-Z

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Jim Sr, I saw 3 of those today, bedded, but not as close. I am sure there were more than those 3 there, there's been 6 around, and maybe some new ones. It seemed to me the 3 were all mature does. I fiddled with the idea of getting the muzzleloader out and tossing the orange vest on and trying to sneak up on 1, but that technique seems to always end up in seeing alot of white fur flashing. The deer here aren't so tame despite the hanging out near the driveway thing they do. Hiding in a blind works better for me, esp sneaking down the hill below the poultry yard and easing my way in, but I haven't set the blind up yet. Anyhow, a MDS member is supposed to be hunting in the am with his son/son-in-law, down there, so let them have their fun. I've been staying away from the bait/licks/apples/persimmons station since monday, so as to encourage deer to gather.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I had a 7 pointer come in on monday at 4 yrads and feed under my stand(stand is only 10 feet up dont know how he didnt spot me, young and dumb i guess) and he was much smaller then my opening day 11 pointer so i watche dhim at 4 yrads for 3 minutes. It was pretty damn cool.

I tell myself and everyone, as long as i see a deer while im hunting thats successful. I dont always have to kill one.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I feel the same way. I especially love when I am bow hunting and a deer comes in (Doe or Buck) and for what ever reason I decide not to take it. Standing there close enough to hear the deer taking breaths or eating, knowing you could end its life to provide for yourself and your kin is a POWERFUL feeling. A feeling a grocery shopper will never experience.

-Z

I don't know diesel, I've been to the grocery store a few times where I thought about ending someone's life. :D

All jokes aside, that's pretty cool -shows that you respect what you're doing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ive passed on a little forker about 3 times already...lol he would be good in the freezer but since ive had my game cam up his brothers or cousins are 6 and 8 points im holding out waiting on them...also need some mature does...:) i like sitting there and then all of a sudden deer are right there in front of you like magic! when you hear squirrels for 100yds and then deer pop in on you at about 40-50yds...sneaky little things!:D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Didn't waste my time yesterday morning due to the winds. Got on stand at 5pm yesterday and sat, saw, nothing, but the deer cam shows promise and they do like my corn and sliced watermelon. Didn't go this morning for lack of interest, but, I will be back out there this afternoon and all day tomorrow, come Monday it'll be back to the bow.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Was out this morning at my spot; but some idiot started a generator on the next property (I'm hunting a nice parcel in suburbia). Fricken ruined :mad54: my morning hunt; so now I'm back in to soak in the hot tub; and head out to Frederick later to my "backup" hunting spot. We'll see what the afternoon/late afternoon brings...

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yes, it's like they beam in on a transporter beam sometimes... I could be intently scanning the woods; and return my gaze where I started and presto; a deer is just standing there...

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yes, it's like they beam in on a transporter beam sometimes... I could be intently scanning the woods; and return my gaze where I started and presto; a deer is just standing there... :)

sometimes I sit there and wonder where the hell they came from!:lol2: almost scares me...like ninja's!:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom