• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Guys,

I'm still a little confused as to what type of sight/scope that I can install on my flat top Smith & Wesson MP15. Although the upper receiver is flat, the front sight post is fixed as with a standard AR.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y

Do need a riser block to clear the field of view for the scope? Or will I not have an issue with the front sight? I am contemplating a Millet DMS and would like to be able to use the existing hard sights to co-witness the scope.

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/dms_reddot

Kindest regards,

-Will

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The fornt sight will not be visible due to the focal plane the cope focuses on. I'd get the Larue on peice scope mount if you'd like to quick detach and still hold zero, or the Burris P.E.P.P.R. if you don't need to remove it.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    The front sight wont be an issue i found the glass on my flat top to be a little low for my comfort. I purchased a spacer that raised it about 3/4

Pictaker

Mar 7, 2008
    Central MD
    +1 on the LaRue mount. It will place the scope perfectly on the rail and still have space for your BUIS (lowmount).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Both will work. The second is more for clearence of back-up sights if you have those. Again the Burris PEPPR is half the price and just as good but not easy to remove.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I do think that the Burris is attractive (for the money). I won't have a need to remove any future mount for my AR via quick release. I think I will go with it.

Thanks for your help gentleman.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I am contemplating a Millet DMS and would like to be able to use the existing hard sights to co-witness the scope.

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/dms_reddot

Kindest regards,

-Will
    I have the millet DMS and you won't be able to co-witness anything through the scope. I used warne tactical quick throw mounts to remove the scope in the instance of a failure. Allowing me to use my B.U.I.S.
    I have since changed out alot of the parts on this carbine, including the rings. But this is what mine looked like.
    p_00147.jpg

This is the same gun in its current configuration.
    AR-15profilepic-1.jpg

I kept the millet for longer range fighting. Its zeroed for this weapon and sitting idle in its case just waiting for me. I have taken both to the range and swapped them out to check zero. It works flawlessly.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The DMS is very nice. If the new Burris tactical 332 doesn't come out soon, I'll be puttig one on my carbine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have the millet DMS and you won't be able to co-witness anything through the scope.
    p_00147.jpg

This is the same gun in its current configuration.
    AR-15profilepic-1.jpg

Well crap. :banghead: I had no idea that the length of the DMS would prevent cowitness. I need to yank my AR out of the safe and get a ruler, so I can envision the actual footprint of the scope/sights that I'm looking at, in reference to the current flip up rear sight/front sight post; instead of doing all of this by imagining it.

I am glad that you posted those pictures. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

-Will

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Every possible question you could have on a DMS 1 is right here. Read it all before you decide. 75 pages worth and lots and lots of pics.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=326527

Thanks Russ. Geez, I haven't had this much of an issue trying to outfit a rifle with a scope before. The more I look at different options, the more confused I an getting. Plus the variance in prices is not helping me either.... :whoa:

Kindest regards,

-Will

irocracer89

Sep 15, 2009
    Riser for MP15

Glad I ran across your post...I have had my MP15A for about two months and need some feed back.. Past experience with the M16 A2, so had been wanting one for some time. I have removed the front sight at this time and was thinking about replacing it with a Yankee Hill flip up site. Then add the Burris mount and some type of good scope. This due not being able to see the sight's anymore. Will the Buris mount clear the Troy sight or will I have to discard the rear site??

Thanks

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You can maybe get away with a scope similar in size to the Millet DMS-1 but anything bigger and you won't be able to fit BUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom